MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2PBcastco
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Can't remember my lube recipe!

Boolit Buddy

Can't remember my lube recipe!

Hey guys. I've just had a bit of a crisis - I need to make more lube but have forgotten the recipe I used! Now I'm wondering if someone here with more experience would have an idea of ratios?...

I know I used lanolin, vaseline and candle wax to make it. Just those three things. Any suggestions as to how much of each part? It's lubing 405gr .45-70 boolits cast from soft lead. They have the big deep lube grooves, not the shallow ridges.

I'm a bit gutted because the lube has worked really well for me - I even rub a finger over the lube pan and rub it on cases for resizing and it works great for that too. So if anyone has an idea where I read the recipe or knows what it is, please help!

Boolit Master

Start out with 50% each and a Tablespoon of Lanolin and go from there..You will be close..
    Too hard add a bit more Vaseline, bit too soft add more candle wax.

Oh one more thing; Let it cool completely before you judge the hardness
    Last edited by randyrat; 10-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Master

Thought that recipe calls for bee wax? 50/50 bee wax and Vaseline with teaspoon of lanolin. Add candle wax as necessary to bring up lube hardness. That's what I used in my pistols.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks chaps. I'll give that a go. Any idea what quantity of the 50% bits I will need to go with the tsp/tbsp of lanolin? I have a feeling I used a whole tub of vaseline last time. I need an industrial sized pot because it didn't last long!

Boolit Master

Start out with a small batch and write everything down. When you get it all figured out, then make a big batch.
    Depending on what you are going to use this in, the lanolin may not be needed.. It will give the Paraffin a little stickiness, help the lube to stick to the bullets.

If your making a total of 1 cup (small test batch). I would hold off on the Lanolin.
    For a 1-2 lb batch (1/2 to 1 kilo total) Use about a Tablespoon of Lanolin if you need more stick

Hope you don't get upset, but how the heck do you say; Gloucestershire. Is that where they make Worcestershire sauce?

Again...Give your lube time to settle and cool before you judge it
    Last edited by randyrat; 10-20-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Start out with a small batch and write everything down. When you get it all figured out, then make a big batch.
    Depending on what you are going to use this in, the lanolin may not be needed.. It will give the Paraffin a little stickiness, help the lube to stick to the bullets.

If your making a total of 1 cup (small test batch). I would hold off on the Lanolin.
    For a 1-2 lb batch (1/2 to 1 kilo total) Use about a Tablespoon of Lanolin if you need more stick

Hope you don't get upset, but how the heck do you say; Gloucestershire. Is that where they make Worcestershire sauce?

Again...Give your lube time to settle and cool before you judge it
    yep, 1 Tablespoon to about 1 pound (US) would be my suggestion.

I know I used lanolin, vaseline and candle wax to make it.
    Also, if your candle wax doesn't have any beeswax in it, I'd use a little less than 50%
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Haha - you'll have to come up with worse than that to upset me! Worcestershire is the next county north of me. As for Gloucestershire, well it's pronounced glostershire. We're the ones with the thick "farmer" accents that everyone likes to tease! Home of the Cotswolds - Prince Charles lives about ten miles from me, Princess Anne less than that. It's a really nice part of the country. Lots of hills, woodlands and old stone villages.

Thanks for the advice re. the lube. I'll buy some ingredients and give it another go.

Boolit Grand Master

Totally off topic but... my great grandfather raised his family in Gloucestershire and he managed college farm. I started to look into the family history a few years ago. I was amazed at how surnames were clustered in certain areas but then people didn't travel (relocate) like they do now... at least in North America.

My sister went to the U.K. and visited the old family house, still standing but not livable anymore.

One day my wife and I will get there to look around.

Back on topic... the boolit lube thing is fun and interesting. I started out using Valvoline PB wheelbearing grease as lube in my .45-70 about 45 years ago. Wiped in the grooves with a finger. It worked for both smokeless and BP contrary to what is often said about petroleum products not being suitable for BP. That grease kept BP fouling soft like black mud.

In more recent times I decided to try a "Felix Lube" (kinda) by using paraffin wax (didn't have beeswax and needed lube), Lucas Red 'N Tacky grease, Bardahl oil treatment (like STP) and Ivory soap. I'd tried a couple of other recipes but the oil tended to bleed out so I thought I give the Ivory Soap/stearic acid a try.

It turned out great and I still use it.

I hope you get your old lube recipe sorted out and back in service.

Longbow

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Right there with you made a large batch that worked great . still have about 25 lb left. But friends keep asking what is in it and wish I could help. Ones that know me well know how bad memory has gotten. Others think just don't want to tell. I use lube for all hand guns and rifles. Can't even rember what is in it not to mention the quantity. What I have would probably last me the rest of my life but with friends and family using it also I will have to make some more at some point just hope it works as well as what I have. Any way good luck and happy loading.

I don't where but if you can find some lab that has the ability to test it and see what in it that would be a start as to how to make it D Crockett

Boolit Master
    How’s the time to read all the lube recipes available on this forum and pick a new one.
    Weigh your ingredients and write down every gram of what ever you use so you repeat it even after you’ve modified it.

Banned
    try something new it won't really matter if it is soft and your bullets are made right

Boolit Master

I stopped making my own lube once I tried carnuba blue. Give it a try.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Hey guys. I've just had a bit of a crisis - I need to make more lube but have forgotten the recipe I used!
    That's the first symptom! I have two states of data. That which is written down and that which is forgotten.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

One of the guys at our local match uses a modification of Darr's lube that sounds similar. One pound of candle wax, one pound of Vaseline and one tablespoon of lanolin. That's his "Winter" lube. He reduces the lanolin to 1/2 tablespoon in Summer.

Boolit Master
    Now I know I am not the only one and started to write stuff down to then I furget where I put that!!!