MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading PBcastco

Thread: partially lubed boolits

Boolit Bub

partially lubed boolits

I have a lot of boolits that have lube in only one half to two thirds of the lube groove. Do you think they are okay to load this way, or should I add more lube? If more lube is needed what would be the best way to add lube?

thanks

Boolit Master

Run through the lubrasizer again.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry7293 View Post
    I have a lot of boolits that have lube in only one half to two thirds of the lube groove. Do you think they are okay to load this way, or should I add more lube? If more lube is needed what would be the best way to add lube?

thanks
    Larry,
    welcome to the forum.

The "BEST" would be to remove the old lube, then apply new lube.

BUT...you could probably just shoot 'em as is, if they ain't too dirty/dusty from storage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    no lubrasizer.

Larry,

You can easily tumble-lube those boolits, and you would be covered (pun intended). Plenty of information in this forum on that subject in the "stickies" posted above. Simple and inexpensive.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum.

WashingMike

You can pan lube them again with no other steps needed. However, I would just load them unless I was striving for velocity over 1600 fps.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm with Jon , if they aren't dusty , load them and enjoy plinking them down range .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Pends on what type of gun they are to be shot from. If they are for standard velocity pistol you'll have enough lube. If they are for rifle... you might not have enough lube for a longer barrel. Also, if they are keith bullets with deep grooves, you're more likely to have enough than if you have smaller grooves.

Boolit Master

With everything perfect and perfect bullet fit you don't absolutely have to fill all the grooves with lube, some only lube what is needed. I have bullets and loads that only need one groove lubed. Did you do this or did you get them from someone else?

If you want or need more lube on them; Measure them to the .00Xs and run them through the lube sizer again with the correct die to keep them correct size.

Tumble lube them

Shooting them out of a short barrel and light loads; you may not need more lube on them.

Boolit Master
    If they were mine, I'd tumble lube them with alox or your preferred lube. I had a batch of commercial hardcast 158gr SWC for my 38's that leaded with the standard lube they used, tumble lubing fixed it for me and salvaged the whole batch with very little work.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

I usually have a small bit of lube handy when cutting bullets out of the cake, any that arnt completely filled I get a small dab on my fingers and work into the grooves that are open by hand. ( sor of like packing bearing with grease). then push into cutter to remove excess.

Boolit Master
    Lee sells small bottles of lube for tumble lubeing for a few bucks it probably cost more for shipping then the lube . That being said now is a good time to try pan lubeing , and tumble lubeing . Welcome to Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Or you could tumble lube them with Johnson's paste wax. A little goes a long way and if you really want to fill in the grooves it won't be difficult.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Many years ago the NRA did some tests on the accuracy/leading comparing boolits with partially filled lube grooves against ones with fully filled lube grooves, this was done with 38 Special. The tests showed that there was no significant difference between the two, the partially filled ones were actually slightly more accurate.
    So I would guess that if it is relatively low velocity boolits, they should work just fine. Load and shoot a few and see what they do?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Many years ago the NRA did some tests on the accuracy/leading comparing boolits with partially filled lube grooves against ones with fully filled lube grooves, this was done with 38 Special. The tests showed that there was no significant difference between the two, the partially filled ones were actually slightly more accurate.
    So I would guess that if it is relatively low velocity boolits, they should work just fine. Load and shoot a few and see what they do?
    Perhaps this is where the test found that by filling one or two lube grooves of the wad cutter bullets did have less lube purging or other issues and resulted in better accuracy, but not if you had only partially filled lube grooves. I would think that would be the difference. See the article by Al Miller in the Art of Bullet Casting, page 71-75.