RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Patch Question, Round or Square?

Boolit Master

Patch Question, Round or Square?

I was digging through my black powder shooting box and found that all the prelubed round patches from Cabella have molded and are pretty much trash.
    I've already picked up some pillow ticking and am wondering which is better, round or square patches or does it really matter.
    Another question is if 50/50 bees wax/olive oil will work or should I stick with bore butter. I would prefer to lube with the bees wax mix mainly because bore butter dries out and gets funky over time and I've a lot of bees wax.

thanks

Boolit Master
    Square patch works fine for me and BW and Crisco (unsalted) works great, sheep tallow works in place of crisco even better/Ed

Banned
    doesnt matter

Boolit Buddy
    Square works fine.

Boolit Master
    Some lubes seem to last forever and some have a definite shelf life. I've not tried it but Gatofeo's #1 lube is said to work quite well as a patch lube. I certainly know it works great on wads, pistol bullets, and my Lee REALs. And it's lasted years in my closet.

Patch shape is no concern. I also bought pillow ticking and cut squares.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I bought a yard of ticking for about what a pack of 100 patches cost at Cabella's. I'm going to try the 50/50 beeswax olive oil for a lube, already have some made for .58 caliber Minnie balls.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I was digging through my black powder shooting box and found that all the prelubed round patches from Cabella have molded and are pretty much trash.
    I've already picked up some pillow ticking and am wondering which is better, round or square patches or does it really matter.
    Another question is if 50/50 bees wax/olive oil will work or should I stick with bore butter. I would prefer to lube with the bees wax mix mainly because bore butter dries out and gets funky over time and I've a lot of bees wax.

thanks
    In my OPINION, it doesn't matter, but find square or rectangular and cut at the muzzle easier to work with .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Thanks, I bought a yard of ticking for about what a pack of 100 patches cost at Cabella's. I'm going to try the 50/50 beeswax olive oil for a lube, already have some made for .58 caliber Minnie balls.
    Should be fine, I prefer soluble oil and water ratio of 1:7 works good as does my over powder wad formula of 50/50 beeswax and Crisco and a dollop of lanolin .

Boolit Master
    i use pentagon shaped.

or was it decahedron?....i ferget.