MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Question on simple lube

Boolit Buddy

Question on simple lube

Not sure if this belongs here or under the sticky.
    Have used quite a bit of simple lube and really like it for the most part. Sometimes I would like to "dry" it out a bit. Seems like its purging once in a while. Thought about reducing the 2 stroke component a little. Wondering what you guys think? Thx!

Banned

the atf is the barrel lube component.

Boolit Buddy
    If I may ask cause Im kinda dense? I remember the Vaseline modifies the beeswax. So if the atf is barrel lube what is the 2 stroke for?

I like Run's Simple lube too. It's so quick and easy to make and worked very well over a wide temp. range.

This may or may not help in your case, but i left out the lanolin option when i made mine and didn't have any problems with flyers in the rifle i was using. It was a 28" Encore Pro Hunter bbl.

It's a lube that seems to be hand taylored to tweaking a bit if need be seems to me if the flyers persist.
    Maybe cut one of the oils a bit? Runfiverun mentioned the atf oil so i would start there first, but that's just me. It's a good lube, good luck with it.

Moderator Emeritus

see post #10 of the sticky, kind of explains it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1883801

If you happen to be using a full synth 2 cycle oil, I had an issue with purge flyers in a different recipe, where I used too much PAO based full synth 2 cycle oil.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys! Lots of good info around here!

Banned

well that was easy
    thanks guy's.

just remember if your seeing a flyer at random it can be either a boolit, or if it is on a persistent/consistent basis then you have too much oil in the lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a batch with the atf cut in half. I know that's a lot of change but its so easy to put more in so thought I would see. Haven't shot any yet. It handles different though.
    I have made quite a few different lubes and am always amazed at how changing the recipe a small amount makes a lot of difference. Makes me appreciate all the work you guys have done! Thanks!

Banned

the lube has been made with many changes.
    later in that thread I made a different batch with some alox.

the proportions are what matters but are easily varied to account for the wax or the Vaseline, one batch worked very well for me with some Vaseline I got that was made in Mexico, it was closer to the old yellow waxy stuff than the new white colored stuff we get now.

Johnson's Paste Wax question

I imagine this has been asked somewhere before, but if so I can't seem to find it. I'm sure someone has already calculated this conversion, so I'd rather ask than to reinvent the wheel...
    So here goes... "How many liquid ounces are in a one pound can of Johnson's paste wax?"
    Knowing this secret little number would make it a lot easier to measure for 45/45/10....
    Odds are when you need a handgun you need it real bad and you need it right then.

Moderator Emeritus

GonePlinkin,
    Welcome to the forum...first post in 4 years

did you read this?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-amp-Mess-Free
    "For the record and per many repeated questions, I measure by volume AFTER the JPW is cooked. Be very careful not to add MORE than 10% mineral spirits or your viscosity will be too thin."

Anyway, to answer your question directly, "How many liquid ounces are in a one pound can of Johnson's paste wax?"
    It depends on how much you cook it down.
    I cook it down to about 50%, so it's about 8 oz.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    GonePlinkin,
    Welcome to the forum...first post in 4 years

did you read this?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-amp-Mess-Free
    "For the record and per many repeated questions, I measure by volume AFTER the JPW is cooked. Be very careful not to add MORE than 10% mineral spirits or your viscosity will be too thin."
    Uhhh.. No. I did not read it as I could not find it. I seem to have an issue with the search function in the forum - as in it doesn't want to 'find' anything for me. And trying to figure this out without any guidance is like trying to do geometry with only a slide rule. I don't do slide rules - never did figure them out!

But thanks! I'm pretty sure I can get this to work now though I am using Xlox, JPW and MS. As far as I have been able to ascertain Xlox and Alox are pretty much interchangeable in the 45/45/10 ratio.

GP.....
    Odds are when you need a handgun you need it real bad and you need it right then.

Banned

xlox is alox.
    lars's stuff now makes the 45/45/10 lube so you could have ordered the pre-made stuff instead of just the xlox.
    anyway the initial lube was made with glen's xlox but it was cut with mineral spirits to get it out of the container.
    so the amounts do not have to be exactly 50-50 a mark-1 eyeball that comes in at 60-40 is close enough.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GonePlinkin View Post
    Uhhh.. No. I did not read it as I could not find it.

...SNIP
    GP,
    While the search option does take some practice and a learning curve to change up keywords, But many "important" threads, like the one I linked to, are "stickied" to the top of the list. The one I linked to is third from the top in this lube section, easy to find without using the search options.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~