Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: X ray

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

X ray

the other day my dentist called.
    And said he had some lead for me.
    He said to stop at the office and
    you could have it.
    So the next day I went down to the office.
    And there was a MR. Coffee box full of the
    lead from teeth X rays. Someone must of been
    saving them for along time.
    I weigh the box and it came out to 35lbs.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I just bought about 150# of dental foil lead. It really surprised me that it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.5 to 14 BNH on a Cabine Tree tester.
    I was told it had 2.5%± SB & about 1.5%±SN and should make some good bullets.

Banned
    A friend got a batch of dental x-ray lead that was alloyed with something that gummed/gunked up his pot.
    Smelt it in a small, easy to clean container to be safe, Odds are that you have good clean lead but do you want to take the chance?

They can have a film of some sort maybe plastic? That can smell a bit when smelted. Don't want to do this in a casting pot, but then I always use a different pot for smelting than I do for casting. Melting scrap I a casting pot just puts a bunch of crud in the pot. Pots are cheap enough at Salvation Army store to get pot just for smelting.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I use it for a my Credit Card RFID Chip Protector. Simply enclose it in clear packing tape until you have enough to fold over your credit cards.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A fast fading soruce of Pb. Most dentist I know now use digital X-rays and can see them instantly.

Last dental Pb I found was well over 3 years ago. Average 12-13 hardness.

Be sure you melt ONLY the lead and not the plastic carriers on either side. That will make a mess! If they are stuck together.............good luck........may not be worth your time & effors for a few pounds of Pb.

And it DOES take a ton of X-rays to fill a coffee can.......usually several years!

Banger

Boolit Buddy
    So far i was lucky enough to get about 30lbs of it so far. First batch I used on handgun rounds because i was under the impression that it was close to pure lead but later realized how wrong I was and its actually around 12-13BHN with fair amount of tin in it and it casts great rifle bullets. So my second batch was used on Lee 312-155 for my 300 blackout and those turned out great.
    My dentist still uses old xray along with new digital one so hopefully I get couple more loads from him. Funny part was when I asked him and he said that he used to give it to this old timer that used to cast "stuff" with it but unfortunately that caster passed away at some point. I have a theory on what that "stuff" was that he was casting