Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullets In 8mm Mauser

Boolit Master

TbG
    Are you using the standard suggested load for Red Dot in cases of this size?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-13-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    No filler is ever needed with Unique. I'm using it and Red Dot in my 8x57 with great results so far. I like the Lee boolit too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Bonus! My choice is made then.

Imagine that. An answer from my own beloved Texas!

I've seen some loads using actual rifle powder. I'm just a bit squeemish about doing that in a gew 88 regardless if this barrel "can handle full loads".
    Barrel? Maybe. Action? Not so sure.

Also, do yall have any issue with certain brass being tough to crank the bolt on? Romanian lacquer stuff (just chambered for the test) is great. PPU brass? Lot tougher to close the bolt on even just resized. Using lee dies.

Checked and no contact with bullet. This is a brass thing.

Thanks yall.

Boolit Buddy
    I noticed a few of my Lee sized brass being tough to close on my Gew88 as well. Have not researched it yet to see what my issue is yet.

Boolit Master
    Brass case, completely color exterior of case with black marker. Look for shine spots post cycle, dies in a green box or the other red one may help.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    TbG
    Are yo using the standard suggested for Red Dot in cases of this size?
    I'm using 10.5 grs because I have a handy little measure that throws that amount of both RD and Unique. As far as rifle powders go, I've had excellent results with IMR 3031 in 30-30 Win and .358 Win with cast. Here is a Lyman page that shows some other rifle powders to use. I like the Red Dot load because it's so fun to shoot and quite accurate. Enjoy that nice rifle, Kaiser Mike.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    The 8 x 57 Mauser has been one of my most successful cast bullet calibers. The Lee 175 grainer sized .325" and seated on top of 16.0-18.0 grains of Alliant 2400 is an excellent load, and on occasion enabled me to keep up with Buckshot & Co. during the weekly Burrito Shoots. The old G98/40 that I campaigned with after Tuesday burrito lunchtimes might make the trip to NCBS for the long range endeavor this year.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The 8 x 57 Mauser has been one of my most successful cast bullet calibers. The Lee 175 grainer sized .325" and seated on top of 16.0-18.0 grains of Alliant 2400 is an excellent load, and on occasion enabled me to keep up with Buckshot & Co. during the weekly Burrito Shoots. The old G98/40 that I campaigned with after Tuesday burrito lunchtimes might make the trip to NCBS for the long range endeavor this year.
    Is the 98/40 the two piece stocked Hungarian rifle? Forgive my ignorance if it's not- how about a pic nonetheless?

Boolit Grand Master
    Photos? ME?? I do well to just type text on a computer.

The G98/40 I mentioned was made on the Mannlicher-Schoenauer "split-bridge" bolt action. These are sometimes called the "Mountain Carbine". I guess these were made in Hungary on contract, and the photos online via a Google search on "G98/40" show my rifle. Mine lacks the cleaning rod, and the front sling swivel broke off before I bought it. My example has the "jhv" ID stamp indicating Femaru/Hungary maker. That last bit is new info for me, and your inquiry prompted it. Many thanks!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    16 1/2 grains 2400 is gong ringer at 200 yards all day long in the M-48. With my rifle, a 6:00 hold is perfect.
    I have the Midsouth 8mm MAX that weighs in at 255 lubed and gas checked.
    I would like to know if anyone else uses this. What powder, what charge please??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Will you be shooting cast at long range?? Iron or scope sights??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Yes, it's blowback. FWIW, you'll get that if you use the steel cased Romanian military export ammo that's been widely marketed the last few years (but seems to have now dried up.) The blowback doesn't hurt anything, but if it bothers you, you might try things like using neck sized cases sorted to the gun for better sealing. A faster burning powder (like the Red Dot "The Load") might work. Personally I load all my 8mm cast boolits over near case-filling loads of IMR 7383 and have never had any blowback. It's a dirty powder, as is 2400. Dirt doesn't concern me, it cleans out.
    Tell us about your 7383 loads. I have seven lbs of it lol Need to put it to use
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago I would buy 1,000 bullets unsized/unlubed from a commercial cast in Oregon (Liberty Bullets). They were 8mm 160 gr PB'd bullets. I sized at .325 and lubed them with Javelina and loaded them over 6.5 gr Bullseye in cases formed from '06 that also had the flash holes drilled larger to avoid case headspace problems. They ran 1135 fps out of my VZ24/47 and M48 Mausers. Accuracy was excellent out to 300 yards.

Some years back I posted about that bullet and my load. A group buy was done and Lee made some nice 6 cavity moulds. I have shot quite a few over the same 6.5 load of Bullseye and they are very accurate and lots of fun. The Lyman 323470 sans the GC and TL's in LLA loaded over 6 gr Bullseye may do well also.

I also have the group buy 190 gr C325-190 which is an excellent bullet. However, by far the best and most accurate bullet for any shooting past 100 yards is the Lyman 323471 or the NOE equivalent at 1850 - 2000 fps loaded over 4895 with a Dacron filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Will you be shooting cast at long range?? Iron or scope sights??

Shiloh
    NCBS features a 400-yard dinger plate match. I will be using a couple milsurps--the G98/40 and an SMLE 1/III (BSA 1918).

Boolit Mold
    Curious.
    When the manual doesnt show ANY pressures, is this due to the pressure being so low you cant hurt anything?
    Rather like h4895 and 556 "heavy" loads with 75 gr bullets? That cartridge cant exceed pressure IN 556, not enuff capacity.

Boolit Master
    @ Kaiser Mike
    They only show the pressures on loads tested in a Special Barrel for checking pressure.
    The other loads are just tested in regular Rifles .
    They don't always have test barrels for every caliber, and when they have the test barrel set up, they only test the most popular powders and bullets.
    But the Max load should still be observed.
    Some powders work fine to a certain point, but then start to have Pressure Spikes past a certain level.
    And is many cases, pressure spikes Below a certain level if a Filler is not used , or used properly.

Never had any pressure problems with low/subsonic loads, and I have never felt the need for fillers. I think it's more about powder choice, some can be picky.....
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I am getting things pre-set for the NCBS trip, and I dived into the ammo cabinets to inventory the 8 x 57 Chow. Good news--200 of the Lee 175 loaded, using 18.0 grains of 2400--and 50 of the 236 grain Cruise Missiles from the Lee group buy that happened longer ago than I can recall. I am in good shape as far as 8mm goes.

In my Gewehr 1888 I'm finding that 30.5 to 31.5 grains of Winchester 748 with a magnum primer is working best for me. The bullet is the 214 grain Karabiner mold, that drop heavy. I powder coat and gas check these. These are sized using a Lee sizer to .323 because the G88's have a .321 bore.

Boolit Master

LG
    How much 4895 under that 323471?
    I have a 4 cavity that I bought years ago and have never cast a boolit out of.
    What diameter are yours out of the mold?

My killer 98 is a carbine with all matching numbers, but either muzzle severely worn by cleaning rod or one of those drilled out to correct for that problem.
    A boolit/bullet will drop about 2 inches into the bore before stopping, but the rest of the barrel is fine.
    If it were not for the matching numbers including the barrel I would simply replace the barrel.
    With coated it does fine with very low powered loads, but SCATTERS them when approaching beginning loads.

Guess it needs to be better/fully tested with boolits
    Last edited by TCLouis; 07-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

I use 31 gr H4895 with the Dacron filler (3/4 to 1 gr). Cas t of COWWs +2% tin the 323471HPs drop .326 - .3265 out of my mould. I suggest starting at 28 gr and test in 1 gr increments to 32 gr, with the Dacron filler of course. I size at .325 in the H&I die. My 323471 is a HP mould and weight 208 gr fully dressed. Using a steel BB in the nose instead of the HP stem they weigh 220 gr.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast