RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullets In 8mm Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I use 31 gr H4895 with the Dacron filler (3/4 to 1 gr). Cas t of COWWs +2% tin the 323471HPs drop .326 - .3265 out of my mould. I suggest starting at 28 gr and test in 1 gr increments to 32 gr, with the Dacron filler of course. I size at .325 in the H&I die. My 323471 is a HP mould and weight 208 gr fully dressed. Using a steel BB in the nose instead of the HP stem they weigh 220 gr.
    I don't hollow point mine, H4895 at 32 grains, plus the dacron filler shoot GREAT in my M48. hc18flyer

Thread revival. Has anyone used the MBC Mauser #1 cast bullets? I have a box of the .324 205gr FP-GL. Do these need a gas check? I've been happy with my other loads for the K98 Mauser but these tumble and pitch and fly everywhere.

Boolit Buddy
    I really enjoyed the last half hour reading this "revived" thread. I am wondering about Blue Dot and the 8mm.

I love the 8x57. About 20 or so years ago I bought Yugo M48's out of an outfit I found in Shotgun News for $135 each, complete with all of the "accoutrements." I modified two of them--one by having it drilled and tapped for a scope and the bolt bent, and another fitted with a Williams peep sight. I really need to buy another hand guard for the peep-sighted one, or file down the one I've got a little bit, to be able to see the front sight post better. I've killed about 10 or so deer with them over the years, but always using jacketed bullets. I won't type here what load I use for a 180g Nosler Ballistic Tip, as it's way over the max recommended load and it's probably stupid that I even load it that hot. It's just that none of the generally accepted pressure indicators ever cropped up, so I worked it up to that load. As one can imagine, it's Black Death on deer at about any distance. I've never shot anything with it past just short of 300.

Lately though, I've become a lot more interested in bigger bullets with slower speed that do less meat damage. My prior interest in cast for the 8mm was more for the low-cost/low recoil aspect of cast loads.

I did do some cast shooting a couple of years ago but then life got busy and I dropped off, mostly just reading posts here. The bullet I used is the LEE 175. With 13 and 14g of Green Dot, it was pretty decent at 100 yards. I wrote about it then on a thread somewhere here.

Lately I've become enamored of the big LEE Karabiner, and finally got to test it out yesterday. I used Green Dot (so-so results). 2400 is a lot more promising. I was only able to shoot at the 50-yard line due to time constraints. 18-19g loads of 2400 w/ an OAL of 2.815" were really promising with a lot of the rounds touching each other. I posted the accuracy results over in the general Cast Boolits forum.

The thing that I found interesting was how hard it was to size the Karabiner in the LEE .324 sizer. On bullet #19 with a copper GC on it, I finally broke the linkage on the LEE Challenger press that I've had for over 20 years! I called LEE today and they're sending me a new linkage. I've always had ridiculously good service from LEE. I was saddened to hear that Richard Lee passed in September.

Anyhow, I am wondering if any of you have ever used Blue Dot with either of these bullets, the LEE 175 and/or Karabiner. I've got some Blue Dot but no Red Dot, and I'd like to try the bullets with Blue Dot. I did find some info for the 8mm on an old post in another forum from way back. Something along the lines of 14g of Blue Dot for a 150g bullet.

Thanks for all of the great posts in this thread.

8mmFan

I found the Karabiner to be a little too large for my M48. I size to .325. I have 2 Yugo's, and they both like my Accurate 33-205t, which is similar to the 8mm Hunter being discussed on the Group Buy forum. It shoots fine with 19 grains of Alliant 2400. My hunting load is 32 grains of Hodgdon 4895, with 3/4 grain of dacron batting. About 1900 fps and adequate for the ranges I shoot deer at. I use a 2.5 power scout scope setup on my M48. I am happy you revived this thread. Tom

hc18flyer provided me with several 8mm boolit designs to try last year, and that 33-205t is my favorite with the C324175 Lee a very close second. Lifetime 8x57 fan here as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot my 88 commission rifle since last year, but found my ammo and all are loaded with the Lee 175 and 13.5gr. of Blue Dot, must have shot well, or I wouldn't have loaded all my brass!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I haven't shot my 88 commission rifle since last year, but found my ammo and all are loaded with the Lee 175 and 13.5gr. of Blue Dot, must have shot well, or I wouldn't have loaded all my brass!
    Thanks for the Blue Dot load, Gewehr-Guy. I will load some of that up and try it. Much appreciated.

8mmFan

9.5grs of Red Dot with the Lee 175 is quite accurate and so much fun in my 8x57.

Boolit Mold
    For my Yugo, 13grs of Green Dot with the Lee 175 seems to be the ticket. I'm trying to work up a load with 5744 because I have a bunch of it, but no success so far.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kramynot2000 View Post
    For my Yugo, 13grs of Green Dot with the Lee 175 seems to be the ticket. I'm trying to work up a load with 5744 because I have a bunch of it, but no success so far.
    I never found 5744 to be a good cast bullet powder in many cartridges with medium weight bullets w/o the use of a Dacron filler. BW/o the filler by the time you find a load where the 5744 is burning efficiently you are driving the bullet too fast for accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    This post has made me want to make my m48 the next firearm to get loads for. Need to buy a couple molds and start working loads. Thanks for sharing all the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    TCLouis the barrel on your rifle may not be counterbored.It may be cleaning rod or pull thru wear.Having it properly counterbored may or may not improve accuracy.I've done a number of counterbores.Some helped some didn't but worth trying.I use counterbores from Tools and Cutters.com with separate pilots.

Boolit Master
    My Mauser gets wonderful accuracy with the Lee boolit and just about any moderate charge. “The Load” (16 gr. 2400) will shoot 1 hole groups at fifty yards. I usually use Dacron as per Larry Gibson’s method for this and other CB rifle loads.

Lee 175 - powder coated, gas checked and 35 grains of Winchester 748 out of my Gew 88's.

Boolit Master

Would anyone like to trade me something for some of the lee Karbiner boolits; doing load development on a WW1 dated Mauser for a Oct Elk hunt. The lee 175 shoots well with a few diffrent powders but I’d like to try on the 210-215 range boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Would anyone like to trade me something for some of the lee Karbiner boolits; doing load development on a WW1 dated Mauser for a Oct Elk hunt. The lee 175 shoots well with a few diffrent powders but I’d like to try on the 210-215 range boolit.
    That Lee Karabiner is a beast that drops in the 240 grain plus range. I just got the NOE .323 191 grain mold.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    All my 8MM mausers take .326" cast bullets! I do have a JP Sauer that needs a .332" So bullets vary by the rifle You need to do a "pound cast"!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I shoot most of my cast out of .321 slugged Gewehr 1888's that i size to .323. Like most 8mm rifles or any milsurp there are wide ranges of bore sizes out there.

Boolit Master

Cast Bullets In 8mm Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I can get you some, might be a little while.

Boolit Mold
    An old thread, but who is shooting CBs in commercial 8x57 rifles? I have shot lots of CBs in my military rifles, and can seat the 175 Lee out and it looks "good" near the max OAL number.

I recently got a Zastava M70 8mm Mauser action gun, and throat is very short. I loaded some up the old way, and didn't check them before heading to the range because I didn't figure out how to strip the bolt until today. So I next did the old method of measuring seating depth with a slug inserted into the throat and went back to the range. Still wouldn't chamber. Still don't understand that one, measured twice, seat once. Good grief, soon I'll only have a nub of the slug sticking out at this point.

I did load some Hensley & Gibbs slugs (mold #26, 180gr GC) and they didn't group at all. At 25 yards I got a 10 inch group....wow. Using 4198, 25 gr and seated to just touch the lands.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast