MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked stock

Boolit Master
    So, from all of the OPs statements this sounds like a rough gun that would take a bit of work to restore. It will have little value as a historical piece. And, yes, any gun can be 'repaired' to shoot like new.

The question is, how much is the purchase price and how much would it cost to restore? If barrel can be recovered then will it shoot well enough to be worth it, or will it need to be bored and rifled (or relined)? Will the investment end up being more than buying another gun of equal vintage but better condition?

It all depends on what the OP is after.

Boolit Master

This is the first I have read this thread, at least the original post.
    Your stock is not cracked, but badly broken, and looks to be unrepairable. I would suggest a new stock with better grain structure.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Here's a post that shows what can be done to restore a wreck.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...956.0#lastPost
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Here's a post that shows what can be done to restore a wreck.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...956.0#lastPost
    A Tasteful restoration retaining the antiquity of the piece.Very nice indeed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    I was looking at a gun, obvious 1800 style long rifle, but has a cap lock and is not a flinter, my only disappointment. Built like a Lancaster style with the long patch box on the stock. The grip is broke clean through, plus the butt of the stock is delmainated in a few places inline with the stock under the butt plate. Grown ring separation and I am assuming someone let that part get wet or something.

Can this be fixed, or is it just a parts gun for a new stock? If I gave it a new stock I am assuming it high devalues the gun.
    Attachment 206157
    You can try drilling matching holes in both pieces and join with a wooden dowel then clamping with epoxy.
    I agree with other comments, that looks cut clean on purpose for some reason. You sure this is a shooter?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    This is the first I have read this thread, at least the original post.
    Your stock is not cracked, but badly broken, and looks to be unrepairable. I would suggest a new stock with better grain structure.
    No Adventure....

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a couple of vintage/antique shotgun stocks that were broken at the wrists far, far worse than that rifle and had them repaired by a stockman who knew what he was doing. You can't even tell they had been broken. Not saying this gun is worth the cost to have someone do it but it is repairable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12