Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sticker shock

Yeah, back after Obama was reelected and sandyhook I sold a Dillon 650 for enough to order a new 1050, bullet feeder and have a little cash left over.

I bet I bid on 100 items to everyone I "win". I place a bit that is what I would pay for a item and forget about it. They will send me an email if I get it and I let the other folks decide if they want to pay too much for something.

Totally agree that knowing the value, or knowing you need to learn it to avoid paying a fool's tax on your ignorance is the first step. Knowing what it will probably sell for, where that stands in relationship to what you are willing to spend yourself also helps.

Patience and willing to pass without the loss being painful if the deal isn't right will save you from paying too much. I will pay more to get more or better quality but not if the price to value isn't decent Which is the last item to attend to, knowing the value afforded by a range of products that offer the same thing. If a die set costs 4x what another set costs will my ammo be 4x as good? Are they both carbide? Similar condition? Price doesn't equal value be it high or low.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Some people are content to sit on items and continually re-list them, I believe they are ebays favorite as they pay for relisting each time. Typically if I'm looking to get rid of something I just want a decent price for it, not top dollar, and would rather sell it quickly than waste more time trying to nickle and dime another member here.
    I have never sold on eBay, but bought a bunch of stuff. My account goes back to 98.

I saw a Lee Loader on eBay sit unsold with a starting bid around $40.

Not a nibble.

Relisted 3-4 times, but then, the right people saw the ad.

bidding war and it sold for $80+

eBay give the true 'going price' for an item, even if it is only for the one winning buyer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m a little depressed with what has happened to Herters press prices. Around here they used to be hard to give away because they used non-standard shell holders and weren’t painted green or orange. Now they’re “collectible” and the $25-50 Super U I could buy any time I wanted 15 years ago has gone up anywhere from 6 to tenfold. “We grow too soon oldt und too late “schmardt”

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Today everything is Collectable. Once junk Now gold. the traffic draws the market.. I see this all the time @ the gun shows.
    Reloading antiques, Civil war . WWII . Collectors Drive the market
    the hunt is everything. It's easy to sell on The internet. Post and sell
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub
    What gets me is that the person is using a computer to list an item and they seem to not take the time to use that same computer to do a search for the actual estimated value of a certain item. Case in point is the Ebay Buy it Now listings. I have seen those RCBS Uniflows that say are worth $50 sell on a BIN for $25 WITH a stand to boot. Or another person will list the same item for $100.

Boolit Master
    In my experience, once something vintage like that gets discovered, people start throwing money at it & it gets crazy.

When I took up woodworking back in the early 2000s, I read up a lot and outfitted my “shop” with vintage Stanley Bailey-style planes I purchased off of EBay, then cleaned & tuned them up. I think the most I paid was about $20 for an old #7 jointer with a broken tote.

I was also able to find some nice early Disston & Atkins hand saws.

I don’t shop eBay hardly at all anymore, but last I checked, those hand tools and especially the old rip saws we’re going for stupid money.

Boolit Grand Master

Being recently retired, I browse EBay pretty often. I'll look at lead, bullet molds, reloading equipment, measuring instruments, ect. Things interesting to a reloader. I laugh at the 1# lead ingots for $17. And the Lee ingot molds for $17 and $18 when you can buy them for $10 or $11. New and used dies for $5 more than you can order them for, often with outrageous shipping. When I see a fair price it often has really high shipping cost. I've yet to buy anything!

Having a good reputation around town and with your local gun dealers goes a long way. Also patience is key, I have waited 2+ years for items after casually mentioning that I was interested if they were ever thinking of parting with the item. Most of the time they remember you if you dont hound them. Sometimes they forget or lose your number. Put enough baited hooks in the pond, sow enough seed in the spring... same idea.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123