MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionPBcastcoReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticker shock

In Remembrance

Sticker shock

It has probably been a year and a half to two years since I have browsed ebay.
    I like old iron presses and since I gave my only c press away a couple of years ago, thought I might look and see what was available. I like old iron heavy duty presses, but couldn't belive how much the prices have increased in the last couple of years.
    I am sure glad I am not starting out now, I would be forced to go with new equipment. lol

Banned
    Yes they have. Looking back eBay used to be about the kids cleaning out grandpa's basement and selling what they found on eBay. Now they caller a dealer who gives them a flat fee for everything and then resells it on eBay. Mostly they don't know what they have , however careful searching through the sold files on eBay they get a sort of description of the tools and the FINAL selling price. So, if it sold for that much at auction then my opening bid must be for what it is worth, the final selling price. But this is an auction so that sale gives an even higher final selling price, and the cycle repeats.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Though I recently bought a few presses off of eBay to fill some holes in my collection; I have backed off immensely due to the insane pricing.

For example, there is a guy trying to get $1,150 for a $250-300 Hollywood Senior single stage press. Sure he has some shell holders and dies with it, but they are only worth another $100.

Another guy wants $499 for his Senior, and another guy wants $595 for an aluminum Senior.

And they wonder why those presses haven’t sold after months of being there.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Though I recently bought a few presses off of eBay to fill some holes in my collection; I have backed off immensely due to the insane pricing.

For example, there is a guy trying to get $1,150 for a $250-300 Hollywood Senior single stage press. Sure he has some shell holders and dies with it, but they are only worth another $100.

Another guy wants $499 for his Senior, and another guy wants $595 for an aluminum Senior.

And they wonder why those presses haven’t sold after months of being there.
    Some people are content to sit on items and continually re-list them, I believe they are ebays favorite as they pay for relisting each time. Typically if I'm looking to get rid of something I just want a decent price for it, not top dollar, and would rather sell it quickly than waste more time trying to nickle and dime another member here.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I have bought a lot of reloading and casting stuff from eBay.There can be some good deals.On the other hand some abused current production items are started at two or three times retail price.Before bidding check what the seller wants for shipping.Some charge an extreme amount.
    Anyone see the antique bullet casting tools from India?Probably made from gold.

Banned
    I see them for around $60 on craigslist and offerup BUT I don't live near the top of the world.

someone was trying to sell a Lee aluminum 2 cavity mold on ETSY claiming it was from the 1890's for over $1.000 Lee started business around 1950

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Some people are content to sit on items and continually re-list them, I believe they are ebays favorite as they pay for relisting each time. Typically if I'm looking to get rid of something I just want a decent price for it, not top dollar, and would rather sell it quickly than waste more time trying to nickle and dime another member here.
    I agree, I much prefer a quick $50 over a slow $100 any day!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

In Remembrance
    Lubedude, I actually searched for hollywoods first, thinking a senior would be a nice addition to the bench. The asking prices have gone nuts. lol

I do not need another press, so will bide my time and eventually pick up something that interest me locally at an estate sale or local auction, gunshow, etc.

Boolit Master

I check the Ebay Hollywoods on a regular basis and have found Seniors for <$300; Model-IIIs for <$600.

Oh, and I sent a message to the retard that wants $1100 for his Senior, telling him what it was worth. But the reply I got back was from someone who rode the short-bus earlier in-life. Epic fail on both his and his parents' part.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    From a purely functional standpoint, and not a collectors item, I would buy the new RCBS Summit single stage, very much designed like an old Hollywood press. It retails for right at $180. Just like old rifles of days gone by, the good deals aren't there anymore.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master

Good deals are there. Just have to weed them out. I always put things in order of cheapest price including shipping. That puts the crooks on the last page. I just ordered my first lube sizer off there. A Lyman 45 in good shape. Seller says it works and sent me dies and top punch for 9mm. All for 50 bucks. I am not sure of actually worth, but google said around 50 was a good price.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Lubedude, I actually searched for hollywoods first, thinking a senior would be a nice addition to the bench. The asking prices have gone nuts. lol

I do not need another press, so will bide my time and eventually pick up something that interest me locally at an estate sale or local auction, gunshow, etc.
    Starmac, there is a Senior there opening at $229 with $56 shipping. Not a bad deal at all considering the steel just needs the patina removed. It was at $299 and he reduced the price last week with no bites yet.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I check the Ebay Hollywoods on a regular basis and have found Seniors for <$300; Model-IIIs for <$600.

Oh, and I sent a message to the retard that wants $1100 for his Senior, telling him what it was worth. But the reply I got back was from someone who rode the short-bus earlier in-life. Epic fail on both his and his parents' part.
    I hear ya Kevin!

I quit sending those guys messages since they always fall on deaf ears.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by BPCR Bill View Post
    From a purely functional standpoint, and not a collectors item, I would buy the new RCBS Summit single stage, very much designed like an old Hollywood press. It retails for right at $180. Just like old rifles of days gone by, the good deals aren't there anymore.
    That summit just does not trip my trigger like the old iron does.
    LikeI said if I was just starting out and had to have a press, I would likely go new, but that isn't the case

I have read quite a few post where folks that jumped on the summits when they came about have since traded them off for one reason or other too.

LubeDude, I may need to go back and look at that senior, but I bet that shipping price will not cover Alaska. lol Matter of fact, many ebay sellers will not ship anything to Alaska at all, and I don't have the patience to explain shipping to them anymore, so when it says no Alaska or Hawaii, I just move on. lol

On another note, I just in the last few days finished going back through all 4 hundred some odd pages of this forum (took me several days) and it is funny to see what we think good prices are now compared to what they were bringing when this topic was added. lol

I think one might do pretty well with a WTB in the S&S forum at least if anyone was willing to part with a "classic" press. On eBay I look to the sold section and figure the market price from that. If it looks like a good source I'll start keeping tabs of what is being offered. Have picked up a few items there but for a lot of stuff I think the deals here or from local vendors at gun shows are better or at least no worse. I have noted that lube sizers tend to be more plentiful on eBay in the sub $75 range than at gun shows or here. Here I think the condition may be better or at least more accurately represented
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance
    I will say that you are right usually, but I bought 2 lubrisizers from a member here that were not at all what I expected, I would have described them as parts machines myself.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I will say that you are right usually, but I bought 2 lubrisizers from a member here that were not at all what I expected, I would have described them as parts machines myself.
    Bummer. I have had pretty good luck but then some items such as lubrisizers or those shot shell loaders are a bit more complex and less robust than what I have purchased. C Press or dies are mostly what I have bought for equipment. Less "subjective" opinion in is the press rusty or not, I think most members try hard to be up front on what you are getting. I guess that makes it worse when you have expectations based on past experiences and then the items come up short.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance
    No complaints from me RD, I have bought lots of stuff off of our swap and sell with 100% satisfaction except for that one. I bought a 30 rem and needed everything, with a want to buy on swap and sell had brass, then new brass, dies and was set with everthing on the way in less than a week iirc.

I was not even upset on the lubrisizers, as I was buying something I had no working knowledge of at the time. I since bought 2 more here that were described right on the money.

Ebay is all over the place on pricing.I've gotten decent deals over the years.CB related,snagged a what appeared to be an unused 450 lube sizer.Get it for under 75 to the door.Looked like it was unused except the top circular cover part is missing.No biggie,made a dupe in the shop in a few minutes.

I left feedback that the item was incomplete,couldn't use as delivered.Chalked it up on me for not looking at pics well enough.Not mad,bent,nuthin....heck the part was made and am wanting the dang thing bolted down,haha.

Seller contacts me like it's the end of the world....huh?Is offering to cut 50$ off.Quickly looked at listed prices for the part and said that is all there was to it,money and effort.Still not giving a hoot.Seller refunded the 50$ anyway.I edited the feedback that the seller was professional about handling a minor problem.And they were SO happy it was a little wierd?

Have bought a few things very cheap over the years and just make the missing parts.No biggie.

I have commented on this subject before also. What makes me laugh are things like Lee Dippers. You can buy them all day long at Walmart, Amazon or Cabela's for about $10.00 brand new. Yet I see them many times starting at like $15.00 used with another $9.00 shipping. See the same with dies. Why would I want to pay full retail+ for a used set of dies?

Another one I can't understand is Lee presses. No matter which forum one goes to the general consensus is Lee Presses are worthless junk yet I see them all the time bringing close to full retail. Now if they are such pieces of junk how can they resale for so much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast