Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticker shock

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Another one I can't understand is Lee presses. No matter which forum one goes to the general consensus is Lee Presses are worthless junk yet I see them all the time bringing close to full retail. Now if they are such pieces of junk how can they resale for so much?
    Actually I would say the consensus is there will be some that bash Lee presses or any Lee equipment in most Forums. With as many or more who refuting those claims. I do not understand how it is that folks don't comparison shop. The used price is often at or near new on eBay. I was told that some of the sales are to countries where ordering from eBay is more likely that shooting and reloading supplies make it through customs or avoids the commercial source that won't ship "that" item outside the US.

If true that might explain both the higher premium pricing, as well as the default high shipping. If you sell a bunch of your stuff to where gun restrictions are pretty tight you could probably get more profit. Price it high and people in US that have more options won't buy it, leaving it for customers who will pay more for it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    Not all Lee stuff is junk. I hate blanket statements
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not all Lee stuff is junk. I hate blanket statements
    As do I. They also in reality do not prove anything or promote any sort of discussion. Same goes for a topic I was following, the OP was asking about a certain S&W semi-auto and this one same guy responded 3 different times, "just get a Glock". How that was pertinent to the discussion is beyond me. BTW I have 2 junk Lee presses that I use exclusively and both were bought used.

Back on topic, I see stuff way over priced all the time to which I just keep on moving along. All three of the presses I have and use were purchased used on ebay. All were in very good condition and should last me the rest of my lifetime.

As do I. They also in reality do not prove anything or promote any sort of discussion. Same goes for a topic I was following, the OP was asking about a certain S&W semi-auto and this one same guy responded 3 different times, "just get a Glock". How that was pertinent to the discussion is beyond me. BTW I have 2 junk Lee presses that I use exclusively and both were bought used.

Back on topic, I see stuff way over priced all the time to which I just keep on moving along. All three of the presses I have and use were purchased used on ebay. All were in very good condition and should last me the rest of my lifetime.
    I am hoping to add one more press (really just one more!) and that is a Lee Classic cast single stage, used I don't think I save anything really over buying new from Titan Reloading. Assuming I found one offered which doesn't seem to happen all that often. There is one for $109 buy it now on ebay with a pack of Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings. Considering new is only $110 that is a better deal but not a great deal. Auction is at $79 with several days to go.... bet it goes higher.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

RogerDat cannot argue that one bit. Titan Reloading is only about 1.5hrs from me and I'm afraid to go in there. Could get very costly.

I have a Lee Pro1000 that I picked up on ebay for about $85.00 shipped. It was mostly complete and only missing the shell feeder tubes and the plastic cover for the primer tray. The thing was very clean and hardly used, even came in the original box. This one was set up for 38Spl. with the dies, disk measure and all the disks. Now I see them a lot with no dies, no measure or beat to pcs selling for over $100.00

Boolit Grand Master
    There are a lot of "variables" to factor in to the acquisition question. It boils down to this, for me--Do I want to spend my free time hunting online for bargain tools & toys, or hunting afield for critters? My time is worth something to me, and figures highly into the mix. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    There are a lot of "variables" to factor in to the acquisition question. It boils down to this, for me--Do I want to spend my free time hunting online for bargain tools & toys, or hunting afield for critters? My time is worth something to me, and figures highly into the mix. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
    My question I guess is why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you do both?

After having 11 stents in the past and an open heart bypass this spring I don't think any one knows better than me about tomorrows promise.

Boolit Bub
    Many of the sellers have a flat $50/month flat fee and list hundreds if not thousands of items. I was looking at one item, only about 3 1/2 times what it was worth and on there for over a year. I dropped the guy a Pm and said if he wanted to sell, let me know. I got a reply where he said he has thousands of items listed at a cost of 5cents a month each and didn't care if it sold or not, if some one bought it it would pay for it self about seven times over so he didn't care.

The fools see these prices and then set their offer bid at the extreme prices they see and get POed if it doesn't sell. That is why they ask retail + S&H for Lee junk, they don't know any better, but if that guy has it listed for twice retail....

Boolit Grand Master
    My question I guess is why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you do both?
    The approach can be any mixture a person wants to blend. It's not my place to tell others how to go about their business, I was only sharing my own view of the question.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The approach can be any mixture a person wants to blend. It's not my place to tell others how to go about their business, I was only sharing my own view of the question.

I understood your response and my question was more or less to you. So why can't you do both at the same time? Why does it have to be one or the other?
    I find I enjoy many different things at the same time. We all only have so much "Free"time. Much like I take my free time here to converse with you. Which I do enjoy BTW.

Boolit Grand Master
    Of course someone can do both or a number of factors at once. We all do that. I just don't care much for shopping or for dickering. Some folks love that stuff.

Unfortunately we all have to buy things from time to time. I've learned a long time ago on the auctions that I'll have a pretty good idea of what something is worth, what it would cost new and what I'm willing to pay for it used. I'll place my bid and if it go beyond that I'm done. Another will come along.

In Remembrance
    Auctions are funny animals. I was at a western auto auction once and the retail price was marked on every item. I watched folks pay twice and better for some items, even some big items like freezers, when they could go 7 miles down the road and get the very same thing from a western auto store for half WITH a warranty and free delivery. lol

Got an RCBS uniflow on a buy it now off fleabay sorta recently on the stupid cheap....like 25 to the door or sumthin.I have a "running list" of sorts on several things.Then patience,LOTS of it.

Took an aluminum 12"? disc that's made for or used as a,sanding disc....don't even know where they come from?we have a 1/2 dz or more big stationary sanders,the only "disc" is a 20" 1910 machine.People must leave them here...anyway;the disc was bored 7/8" equal spacing around the perimeter.It has mostly uniflows but there is a 55 on it I think.Works fantastic as a carousel,certain CB loads of mine never change so it's pretty lazy way to throw charges....without all the adj.

Boolit Grand Master

People pay stupid amounts of money for old presses w/ poor ergonomics. Unless it's Cast steel the new production ones are better. You'd be better off to pick up a Lee Classic Cast and load away. It's one of the best values around.

eBay is just like the classifieds here. Check in at the right time and you stumble into some deals. I use eBay for auto parts. Search out OEM part numbers and pick them up a lot cheaper than locally, plus no tax. I'm willing to wait for them to be shipped.

In Remembrance
    But who makes a new cast iron or steel C press?? Like I said I do not need a press, just thinking one of the old c presses would be handy for some things.
    If I needed a single stage press, I would probably go with the lee classic cast.

My two favorite presses that get most of the work are my RCBS A2 and my Lee Classic Cast SS. Some praise the A2 and beat up the Lee, if you use both you'll find little difference from the reloader's view point. Lee makes some junk, but so do the others.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've bought both new and used reloading equipment from both e-Bay and (for longer) at gun shows. Usually I'll look around on both and establish my own "market value" and try to stay as far under it as possible. One big advantage of this strategy is that I can look for specific discontinued items I "need" for their unique features, or of course get what I want at reasonable prices. Mainly, I do best if I take my time and don't have to rush into my purchases.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Froggie I agree completely. There are bargains to be had but you have to actively watch for the them and be ready to buy right then. There was an item I found that I wanted with a buy it now. I saved it to favorites and continued looking. When I got back to it 20min later it was already bought. So I lost out on an item I was looking for at a great price because I didn't act immediately, someone else got a great deal.

Boolit Master
    I have no complaints with Ebay or Etsy. It is a love- Hate Relationship. I check it on a Daily basis . It is amazing what Goes Up. as a buy it Now.
    I hear It all the time that the prices are High. Yes High On some , Low on another.
    Gota Love It
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast