RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Need info: 52 cal Civil War Linen Sharps Rifle Cartridge

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Need info: 52 cal Civil War Linen Sharps Rifle Cartridge

I have googled and can find plenty of info on the 52 cal Sharps Rifle as used by Berdan's Sharpshooters in the Civil War but so far, nothing on the cartridge itself and I don't have a good "cartridge reference book".

Can someone tell me the grain weight and diameter of the conical bullet used in the original 52 cal linen Sharps cartridge as used in the Sharps RIFLE during the Civil War? Also, the grain weight charge of black powder used in the cartridge? I'm assuming it was probably 2F? If anybody has any info on the velocity/FPS that the linen wrapped cartridge had out of the 30" Sharps Rifle barrel I'd like to know that as well if possible.

I am not interested in what is used today as far as boolit/powder weights but only the original linen cartridges.

I have a friend who has his g-grandfather's Sharps Rifle that he carried as a member of Berdan's Sharpshooters. In doing some reading, I have run across several references to some wanting to equip Berdan's men with Springfields but that they finally got approval for the Sharps rifle. I'm an experienced rifled musket shooter so am interested in comparing the two as far as boolit weights and powder charges, etc and sharing the information with my friend.

Thanks for any info and assistance - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Boolit Master
    According to Winston Smith's book, the standard bullet for the .54 (sometimes designated as .52) caliber percussion Sharps was about 475 gr weight with most of the body diameter at 0.53" and the rear 1/8 of the shank at 0.56". Smith says that the bore diameter of percussion military Sharps rifles and carbines is pretty uniform, but the grooves could vary considerably in depth, so a bullet of this design was necessary in order to be useful in all of them.

The powder charge was nominally 50 gr, in 1860, but it could vary up to 65 gr in some of the later loadings. There wasn't a different load for rifles and carbines, at least as far as Smith notes.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you Bent Ramrod - greatly appreciate the information. It clears up my question as well on the caliber as I had always thought that they were 54 caliber and always heard them referred to as that many years ago when I was shooting N-SSA and knew a couple of fellows who shot originals for fun. In "Berdan's United States Sharpshooters of the Army of the Potomac" by Stevens, I was surprised to see them referred to as 52 cal. Interesting information!

I also wondered if there were different loadings for the rifles and the carbines - such as in the trap doors for example. It makes sense that they would use one loading as it would certainly make ammunition distribution much easier.

Thanks again for the information - greatly appreciated and I will pass it on to my friend as he will find it interesting as well. He has invited me to come see the rifle many times and when I get home in the spring, I want to take a look at it and take some photos if he will allow. He has no intention of shooting it and it will remain in his family and be passed on as it should be. He has the bayonet for it as well and the canteen his g-grandfather carried. His g-grandfather was shot int he chest at the battle of the Wilderness and they were unable to remove the slug but he survived. Just prior to his death in 1917, he had a lump appear on his back and his doctor made a tiny incision and found the slug and removed it that he had been carrying around for all those years.

Thank you again for taking the time to look it up and respond - I greatly appreciate it!

Jim