WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: A friend is selling a S&W 41. I need opinions.

A friend is selling a S&W 41. I need opinions.

I have a friend that is putting his early model S&W 41 up for sale. It is in good condition with a couple of extra mags. He is asking $900 for it.
    Is this reasonable?

Boolit Grand Master

Which barrel length. The 41s are sought after and sort of scarce. I have one 7 1/2" barrel that's a tack driver with the right ammo it likes. It resides in the gun box and goes to the range always. Not sure what they are bringing now. In the end only you can decide how much its worth to you

Boolit Grand Master

Banned
    If the barrel is not shot out and it's in halfway decent shape, I'd pay $900 for it. They are very good target pistols.

Now, on more than one occasion I've seen a bull barrel Ruger MKII with a little bit of work that would give a S&W model 41 a run for the money. I'm not saying the Ruger will beat a 41 every day but a good MKII is in the game.

Unless you are a very good pistol shot or want to spend the time to become a very good pistol shot, I'm not sure a model 41 is the gun for you. The gun will not make you a good marksman but a good gun will allow a good marksman to achieve his/her best.

Not sure I want to spend that much money for a pistol I really can't shoot to it's full potential. I already have a Ruger MKII competition that shoots exceedingly well. I once mounted a red dot on it and rested, it would shoot dime size groups at 15 yards.
    Most likely I won't be buying it. Apparently it isn't a really great deal worth investing in from a money standpoint.

Banned
    If he was a long term target shooter, my guess is it is past its prime.

The S&W 41 is an awesome pistol but people that purchased them either competed with them (shot them a LOT) or put them in the safe (expensive gun that was seldom used).

If the gun for sale is in the first category (shot a LOT), then $900 is a fair price if it is in decent condition but it's likely VERY well used at this point. So, not a collectors piece or an investment; just a nice used target pistol.

If the gun is in the second category (safe queen), then the asking price would likely be well over $900. If it was a safe queen for $900, you could make some money on it.

I'm not disparaging the S&W 41, it is a fantastic target pistol. I'm saying that if you want a nice used 41 that you don't intend to resale, it might be a decent pistol but it's not going to be super special. If you are looking for an investment and it is an absolute pristine safe queen, then there's room for profit there.

Know where you stand before you make that purchase.

Boolit Master
    Petrol & Powder's post is right on the money. Could be a good deal, or an average deal, or maybe even a bad deal depending on condition.

If a friend is selling it maybe you can take it out shooting first and then make a decision.

I haven't seen it yet and he hasn't described it much either. He did offer to let me shoot it at the range in the near future.
    Just not certain I want to do that. I might like it.

Tazman the odds are VERY good that you will like it!
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    The S&W Mod 41 is a very nice 22, whether you use it for formal target competition or as a small game field gun.
    The 41 is A LOT nicer than any Ruger .22 ever made, there is no comparison, although Ruger’s can be accurate handguns.
    If you wanted to put the 41 in some sort of comparative company, I’d include it with High Standard’s Citation, Trophy, and Victors... also Colt’s Match Woodsman... not a full-blown Olympic gun, but close.

Boolit Master

If you are a collector, go for it. If you want a shooter, get a Browning Buck Mark. Every bit as good and half the money.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I have just bought a couple 41s recently. I looked at many. The two I bought belonged to guys
    that were occasional shooters and had purchased them new. In last 2 years I bought 3 other
    ones on line. 2 were used by guys actively involved and although in good exterior shape showed
    signs of heavy use, the other was in pretty nice shape. They are like buying Corvettes, they have
    been run or babied. The M52s are in the same bracket with M41s. You can expect to pay $1000
    for a nice one if you are lucky. $900 would not be out of reason.

Boolit Master
    A highly competitive shooter might wear one out, maybe. I know the where abouts of a 41 that was shot on a regular basis in matches for years, yes it has developed some wear, but hardly worn out.
    Most 22 rimfires are subject to several things. Improper cleaning habits mess up a majority of them. Junk ammo, along with the ultra fast junk shot in a target gun does them no favors many times. No cleaning at all would be another.
    Buddy bought a high standard a while back for a song. We both figured it had never ever been cleaned. It was so gummed up from the magazine to the internals it was crazy. Last three rounds would not feed from the magazine, full of gunk. It was torn clear down and scrubbed. The lead shavings and powder residue inside along with lube and cleaner was a mess. Almost like dried grease.
    After the cleaning and some work on the barrel, it ran like a sewing machine. Shot exceptionally well.
    I know there are some that say to or swear they NEVER clean a 22rf and shoot itty bitty groups.
    One mans groups are another's pattern.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    I've had a late '50s model 41 for a long time. It shoots very well as one would expect, but I have two heavy-barreled Rugers that will do almost as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw one at an auction this summer go for $1200. Older with two piece box and a couple extra magazines. It did have a faint spot on top of the barrel. I bought one a few years back with 5 magazines and correct box for $750. They are a very nice gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I gave $500.00 for mine with 3 mags and the wood presentation box from a friend. But this was back in the late 80s also

Boolit Master
    Model 41's are flavor of there own!

I have shot three or four over the years and all were exceptionally accurate, A Ruger Bull Barrel 22 can be made to shoot as well but costs some extra cash to get it to do so, 41's are hot right out of the box and stay that way unless the owner is a complete moron!

At 900 it's a fair deal, I'd pay it particularly if I could shoot it first, but if your looking for an investment buy Gold! Guns rarely move up a bunch in Value after purchase and usually have to be NIB and unfired to get the big bucks and you have to find a buyer that wants it!

HM