Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: I Will Play for Gumbo

Boolit Master

I Will Play for Gumbo

"A piece of French bread with which to wipe your bowl, good for the body, good for the soul. . ."

Yeah, ripped off some lines from Buffett and don't even like him any more but it fits. Helping Dad, 84, after a total knee replacement, wanted to cook gumbo for Mom and Dad. It helps that they live about five miles off of Galveston Bay so fresh seafood is abundant. We made a good roux, added the trinity, browned some Andouille sausage in thin slices and simmered it all together until the veggies softened. After some seasoning adjustments with garlic, salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper,red pepper and cooking time I added a pound of blue crab and a large shredded chicken breast. Ten minutes before turning the heat off two pounds of medium shrimp went in.

Served over rice with fresh French bread it was a luxury meal. Mom thought I went to too much trouble until she tasted it. Dad just smiled and chowed down. SWMBO helped make it go away too. What a great time!
    Last edited by David2011; 10-18-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Darned Apple auto correct!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I love you man! (minus the chipotle, just don't like that flavor for some reason)
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Vendor Sponsor

Thank you for not calling it "seafood gumbo" with all the other meats in there. There are two kinds of gumbo, there is "seafood gumbo" and then there is "gumbo."

Sounds like you knocked it outta da park!! Good on you sir!

I lived on Galveston island in the mid 70s, we got shrimp from Campeche and Tampico that was often 4-6ct, we got whole BIG lobsters, they were $7 or so. My apt. cost $55/mo for rent! Jeez I miss those days.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I love you man! (minus the chipotle, just don't like that flavor for some reason)
    Yeah, I know it doesn't sound right but Mom didn't have any cayenne and I only used about a tsp. in almost 2 gallons of gumbo. It was powdered so it just added a tiny amount of heat and smoky flavor and worked well with the Andouille sausage. It didn't have that grilled jalapeņo flavor.

DougGuy, thank you! I lived in South Louisiana for eight years. I wouldn't bring shame on my LA friends by being sloppy with terms when it comes to something as important to them as food.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

This post and the last 2 days cool weather ( high's in the 80's instead of the humid 90's) throws a big Gumbo craving on a person...It doesn't take much for me to go gumbo !
    Gotta do one !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I was considering making jambalaya but this does sound like a pretty good alternative as well. I enjoy the smoky taste of chipotle myself.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I love Gumbo!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Have to try this. Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

you missed one part.......A nice tall cold glass of adult beverage, the gumbo sounds most excellent!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk