RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing a copper clad pointed bullet from a muzzleloader

Boolit Master

Removing a copper clad pointed bullet from a muzzleloader

Question... How would you remove a copper clad muzzleloader bullet in a sabot if you had to pull the bullet?

Thank you!

Much Aloha,

Tom

Boolit Grand Master

You might try one of the CO2 gizmos for this first. If not one of the screw type pullers should get it, use one that's caliber specific with the alighnment disc above the screw. Maybe make up a rod special for it solid brass or steel 8"-10" longer than the ram rod with a tee handle 4"-6" long this will make turning easier and give a good grip for pulling. If steel is used a piece of heat shrink insulation can be used for a protective cushion.

Boolit Master
    I'm guessing the problem is that a worm screw on a cleaning-rod would make the bullet turn in the sabot, and not screw itself in tightly enough to pull. Do you want to puil it because you didn't put any powder in? You could probably trickle in enough through the nipple threads to shift it. There are also devices for squirting air, CO2 or grease into the nipple threads, but any of these are likely to involve cost and/or mess.

One possibility would be to get a piece of K&S thin-walled brass tubing, from a model-making shop or eBay. Cut saw teeth on a short piece of it to make a light-duty holesaw, epoxy it to a wooden dowel, and you can cut through the plastic sabot. You even get a good bullet back intact.

Boolit Master

What type of rifle is it stuck in?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You might try one of the CO2 gizmos for this first. If not one of the screw type pullers should get it, use one that's caliber specific with the alighnment disc above the screw. Maybe make up a rod special for it solid brass or steel 8"-10" longer than the ram rod with a tee handle 4"-6" long this will make turning easier and give a good grip for pulling. If steel is used a piece of heat shrink insulation can be used for a protective cushion.
    This was on an encore action that had locked up with a LEAD bullet stuck in the barrel... which we were able to remove with a worm/jag... However, the question posed to me last night during the muzzleloading section of our hunter ed class, was... but what if was one copper bullet with a point... and for that, since I typically ONLY use lead, didn't have an answer for... the gun was sent back to Thompson, but it very well might have been unable to send with a primer and a load of powder... and thereby the question...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    What type of rifle is it stuck in?
    An Encore from Thompson Center...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I'm guessing the problem is that a worm screw on a cleaning-rod would make the bullet turn in the sabot, and not screw itself in tightly enough to pull. Do you want to puil it because you didn't put any powder in? You could probably trickle in enough through the nipple threads to shift it. There are also devices for squirting air, CO2 or grease into the nipple threads, but any of these are likely to involve cost and/or mess.

One possibility would be to get a piece of K&S thin-walled brass tubing, from a model-making shop or eBay. Cut saw teeth on a short piece of it to make a light-duty holesaw, epoxy it to a wooden dowel, and you can cut through the plastic sabot. You even get a good bullet back intact.
    This was an inline and the breech was locked and unable to be opened as the latch or something had failed.... therefore...

So I'm curious... if that happened with a copper jacketed sabot... how would we attempt to grasp ahold of the bullet without damaging the bore...

Boolit Bub

If a Thompson Center, remove the breech plug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breech hooked plug-tc-16-11_1.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	206112
    With a breech plug removal wrench

Name:	Breech plug removal wrench.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	206113
    Reduce the issue, ignore the drama

Boolit Bub

If a Thompson Center, remove the breech plug

Name:	Breech hooked plug-tc-16-11_1.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	206112
    With a breech plug removal wrench

Name:	Breech plug removal wrench.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	206113

Is there powder behind the bullet? If so, that's easy!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Bub

Ah, an inline Encore...
    Instructions here
    Or send it to the factory

Boolit Master

With an air compressor and directing a stream of air into the hole where the nipple is. Make sure you point in a safe direction!!!!! Don't ask me how I know.

Ken

In Remembrance

A T/C Encore is an inline muzzle loader. It has an easily removable breech plug assuming that it has not rusted in from neglect. Once the plug is removed, pour out the powder and push the bullet out either end. Many times the breech plugs on these inlines are not properly cleaned and then treated with anti-seize compound or thick grease before being reinstalled. In which case they will resist feeble attempts to unscrew them. A good bench vise and proper wrench with a possible extension may be required. Additionally, a day or two soaking in Kroil or any good penetrating oil will help reduce the amount of effort required to get the plug to turn.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is locked up then you cant get to the nipple or breech plug then it has to be removed from the front end. Ballistics in Scotland is correct in that a tube can be made into a face cutter to remove. If you can find tube that fits the bore and id close to bullet dia all that needs to be cut is the nylon sabot. Otherwise the piloted puller may work as is or a long pilot drill may be needed to be made to pilot drill it first. Heating will make the nylon sabot soft and sticky. Make the tube saw with deeper fine teeth and clear chips often.

Boolit Master
    Build an externally protected centered rod with a .375" 4 flute mill bit on end and shave nose. Exposing lead core and squaring nose for ball remover.

Boolit Master
    Encore or Pro Hunter I'd take to a gunsmith to have its projectile removed. I wouldn't chance such a removal done by my hand. Because like you Tom I too don't know how to do a correct removal on a inline.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all... I've actually learned a lot from this thread... and therefore glad that I own a White muzzleloader as an inline...

Much Aloha,

Tom

Boolit Master
    Can you fit a grease zerk? That would push it out.

Boolit Master
    it is fun to talk about situations before they develop as murphy seems to be around corner at the worst of times! I would do the cutter deal with long rod and go from there. That sabot is a life saver in a situation like this. Any thing but a jacketed bullet jammed in the rifling and only able to get at it from front! But, we would get it out!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Had the same question for rifles like a Johnston (ultimate) rifle they have a Breech plug thats not typically owner removed, And many guys shoot things like a Parker ballistic extreme. Theres no way to get a jag into the nose of a bullet like that. a dryball situation could end up in a creative pinch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast