MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing a copper clad pointed bullet from a muzzleloader

please, use a CO2 pressure system pointed down range. There is no point in risking an injury.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    please, use a CO2 pressure system pointed down range. There is no point in risking an injury.
    I agree... but it appears you missed the gist of the question...

Much Aloha,

Tom

Banned

Why couldn't you remove the cap/primer, put a piece of 2x4 on a concrete floor and use the rifle as an inertia bullet puller and tap the muzzle on the board. One of two things should happen. One is the sabot and bullet come to the muzzle, and two is the bullet frees itself from the sabot and falls out the muzzle and then you can screw into the plastic sabot and pull it out. I know you are wondering if the sabot/bullet comes to the muzzle, you drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 that barrel and sight fit into (don't want to damage your sight) and another 2x4 (which will be nailed to the first one) under the first 2x4 with a hole bigger then the bore but not the muzzle. Few taps and the sabot/bullet should stick out enough to grab it and pull it all the ways out.

I edited this to say after I posted I realize you can't de-prime it so I would make sure to secure the hammer by some means.
    Last edited by vzerone; 10-22-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Safety change

Boolit Master
    If the bullet nose protrudes from the sabot, possibility is to take a steel tube that will go down the bore, and stop part-way down the ogive. Cut an internal thread in that tube, cut a slot far enough down to allow a bit of springiness, and screw it onto the nose of the bullet. With luck it will get enough of a grip to pull it out.

Banned

Hey wait, something just popped in my mind. Why can't you just drive out the hinge pin on the rifle? It should come apart then and you can screw out the breech plug.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Hey wait, something just popped in my mind. Why can't you just drive out the hinge pin on the rifle? It should come apart then and you can screw out the breech plug.
    Being I'm not all that familiar with them Thompsons all that much... I can't tell you why that wasn't thought of ... or maybe was and unsuccessful... that part I don't know... but that isn't all that unlike episodes I've encountered... and frankly.. if it don't go off... it's frustrating..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12