WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A real name and State ?

I would imagine that the NSA along with a number of other 'Alphabet Agencies' already knows every one of us, bank account numbers, DOB's, job histories, arrest reports, traffic citations, court decisions, religious and or political affiliations, the number of marriages and our aliases here.

"What's the problem?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have problems with the abbreviations for Your States,Cities and Towns.Living across the Big Pond it does not come easy to work out what and where are you discussing.This is not a criticism it is a plea from a confused Brit.Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I would imagine that the NSA along with a number of other 'Alphabet Agencies' already knows every one of us, bank account numbers, DOB's, job histories, arrest reports, traffic citations, court decisions, religious and or political affiliations, the number of marriages and our aliases here.

"What's the problem?"
    yeah but they probably lost or will lose the file and would have to look it up on Wiki Leaks a month after they gathered it. People say they want an efficient government but I'm not so sure efficiency is always desirable.

People get scammed because the internet makes it easier to gather enough information about your social connections to seem legit. It's not just that the email looks like it is from someone you know, it mentions mutual friend or recent activity too. Not only does putting too much out there make you a target, it allows more accurate targeting of people you know or are close to. Had a friend who's grandfather was ripped off because the scammers knew all about the grandson and his family. Able to convince the grandfather that the grandson in his x model car had been in an accident, and that the great grand kids billy and sally were fine but grandson needed cash transfer to pay for hospital treatment.

What we put out there lets others better insert themselves into the lives of our family and friends not always with good intentions.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    yeah but they probably lost or will lose the file and would have to look it up on Wiki Leaks a month after they gathered it. People say they want an efficient government but I'm not so sure efficiency is always desirable.

People get scammed because the internet makes it easier to gather enough information about your social connections to seem legit. It's not just that the email looks like it is from someone you know, it mentions mutual friend or recent activity too. Not only does putting too much out there make you a target, it allows more accurate targeting of people you know or are close to. Had a friend who's grandfather was ripped off because the scammers knew all about the grandson and his family. Able to convince the grandfather that the grandson in his x model car had been in an accident, and that the great grand kids billy and sally were fine but grandson needed cash transfer to pay for hospital treatment.

What we put out there lets others better insert themselves into the lives of our family and friends not always with good intentions.
    Well...I wouldn't know about all that as I'm quite sure your info is accurate. This forum and one other, The Art and Science of Casting' are the only social type media I am involved in. I guess I just don't trust too many anymore. When I get an E-Mail unsolicited, I delete it before even opening it, when I get a phone call from a computer voice...I hang up immediately. Not much more I can do besides throwing my computer and iPhone away.

In short..."It's a wee little bit too late to think about herding this bunch of cats!"

I stay involved with this forum because I love the informative posts...well, some of them...and the drama ain't that bad either!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

A real name and State ?

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    I have problems with the abbreviations for Your States,Cities and Towns.Living across the Big Pond it does not come easy to work out what and where are you discussing.This is not a criticism it is a plea from a confused Brit.Regards.
    The state abbreviations are postal codes. One fact, more of an observation, about them only seems to apply to residents of Pennsylvania. When asked what state you live in a lot of people will reply PA. We use the abbreviation. You don't find residents of South Carolina saying they live in SC. Haven't had people from other states ask what PA meant so I guess they know what state it is

City and town abbreviations are different. But that's what Google is for. Type Philly into it and Philadelphia comes up. I have to look up places where I'm being sent to work all the time so searching them out is second nature.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I know many of the members here by name.
    [I could name half the guys above me]
    I'm still hesitant to use it on the open forum, but if I drop a little note in a PM I will use my name to sign the end of it.
    half the membership knows it anyway, but most just shorten the Avatar name to Run or Run5.

anyway for many of us a first name and a city would be enough to get you to our house.
    if someone rolled up here and asked for my place using my name or one of the kids names there is a better than 50% chance someone would tell you exactly how to get here.
    I get a phone call from a stranger.

he asks, "is this Jon?"

I say, "yes."

He says, "it was real difficult finding you, I lost the piece of paper you gave me with your contact info at the local gunshow."

I ask, "How did you get my ph number?"

He says, "I asked at the local gun shop, if they knew of a local guy that casts boolits...your name came right up"

I say, "that doesn't sound too difficult"

he had no response, just started asking about casting boolits.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-18-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    I am a member of a UK based internet forum about self-sufficient living. Very few members from the US, so I just chose to use "Minnesota" as a user nick-name...no one else there from Minnesota. Most everyone on that forum post in their profile, their location, problem is, my western Europe geography is weak, LOL. BUT...The biggest problem I have, is the slang words you Brits like to use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I gave up trying to think of interesting/exciting usernames a few years ago. Mine is pretty easy to decipher .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Mine is pretty easy to decipher .
    First name is Bob, last name begins w/ a D, and you live in Austin. Am I close?

Boolit Master

Yuk, Yuk, he he he
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Any expectation of privacy or anonymity on the internet is ridiculous. However, there's no reason to make things easier for anyone and everyone to know more than they need to know about you or your family. Personal information should be metered out, not put on a billboard.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

A real name and State ?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Any expectation of privacy or anonymity on the internet is ridiculous.
    If you go into it from the beginning and don't post personal info it makes it very hard. Especially if you're using VPNs to mask your IP. But any measure you take to hide your identity is like steel thickness on a safe. It buys you time, but the contents will eventually be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    If you go into it from the beginning and don't post personal info it makes it very hard. Especially if you're using VPNs to mask your IP. But any measure you take to hide your identity is like steel thickness on a safe. It buys you time, but the contents will eventually be taken.
    OH, good analogy - and one of the things I tell people is don't put your safe in the living room by the picture window.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    OH, good analogy - and one of the things I tell people is don't put your safe in the living room by the picture window.
    Living room = Facebook/Instagram

Boolit Master

if lack of a name being given irritates you, internet forums are not the place for you. chat rooms are a little more personal, usually.

Boolit Master
    here is another thing couple years back there was post asking how many guns you have. well several posted pics.
    ok later the guy wants to sell something . he dont take paypal so sends address. he just told some one where the guns are located.you dont know if the same guy sent the request. I have seen that some say they never got a payment.Ring a bell?
    this is internet. same as face book, if you want your info world wide post on facebook

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am a member of a UK based internet forum about self-sufficient living. Very few members from the US, so I just chose to use "Minnesota" as a user nick-name...no one else there from Minnesota. Most everyone on that forum post in their profile, their location, problem is, my western Europe geography is weak, LOL. BUT...The biggest problem I have, is the slang words you Brits like to use.
    Yes here is an example."I am just going to run the Pope of Rome through my Barnet Fair".To run a Comb through ones Hair.One from Derbyshire,"Hey Up Mi Duck",Hello Dear.Or "isitisn"is it his.
    On my work travels I came across some areas that where hard to understand.Like folks in Copper Hill Tenesee or those in Baton Rouge.They are all part of the rich and interesting pattern that make up this planet.

Boolit Master

Dragon what is a VPN?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Dragon what is a VPN?
    Ole Jack
    It's a "virtual private network". There are many reasons to use one. Most corporations have them so employees can access files remotely. People use them so services like Netflix think you're in another country giving you access to content that you can't get here. People in China use them to get past the government firewall. You typically have to pay to use one.

I'm assuming you were asking because I mentioned them in regards to hiding your IP. There are many free proxy servers that will allow you to do the same thing. You can actually set up chains so you're going through one proxy into the next. This makes the trail harder to follow but not impossible. Just takes longer to find you.

Boolit Master
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast