RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A real name and State ?

Boolit Master

A real name and State ?

Morning all. I've not made my coffee yet but here I go anyway.
    Is it just me or are there others on here that get a little irritated because most on here choose not to use their real names at the end of a post ? I guess most time it's not nessary but there are some posts that I feel it's only proper to do so. Is this just me old school ? In a PM is a great ex., but no name ?
    Another thing that's worse than that to me is the lack of showing what state you live in. Not even the city, just the state ? Now this is really bad when a seller has something and only want FTF, No shipping !, but you don't have a state listed in the ad or under your screen name and avatar. Or you ask a question of the members like what's a good lube to use for hot weather here ? But turns out you live way north and your reply comes from Death Valley or Ariz. where "Hot" has a different meaning. ( I use this as a bad ex. only thought in my mind at this hour)

Most on here knows almost all of the guys n gals but is it really a secret or am I missing something, unaware,lost in the New and Old ways ?

Just trying to understand, Thank you, Mike

Boolit Master

Non compliance is rampant here.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy

Sorry,
    I just assumed everyone knew where Camp Perry was located

Jerry L.

Ohio the Buckeye State
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Not everyone wants to be visited.

I've been around internet community's since 96. This is one of the best I have ever seen, or heard of.

As such it really does not need someone coming in telling us we are doing it wrong does it?

At least in my opinion we don't.

Anyone who has a good reason can ask for and get my real name and address.

Someone else's reason may not measure up to mine. So I will always be the final judge on who is given my particulars. You don't like it, tough.

But expecting people to give their name, address on a post just because someone else would like them to do that. That just does not cut the mustard with me. In fact it raises questions. Lots of questions.

Boolit Grand Master

A real name and State ?

This is an Internet forum, not a formal letter. There is no need to put your name at the end of every post. It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile. It's how Internet forums work. I will put my name at the bottom of a PM since it's a one on one interaction. Beyond that you won't find me posting any personal data.

Boolit Master
    Your answer, yes your missing something, and yes you are lost in the new world.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is an Internet forum, not a formal letter. There is no need to put your name at the end of every post. It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile. It's how Internet forums work. I will put my name at the bottom of a PM since it's a one on one interaction. Beyond that you won't find me posting any personal data.
    ++1 .....After all, this is is on the Internet.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Not everyone lives in, or even near a town or city. Sometimes a location like "western AZ" is about as close as one can get.

You can chose to reveal all or nothing on your profile.

There is a photo thread for those who want other members to see what they look like.

There is the PM feature for those with a reason wishing to contact a member for more information.

Boolit Master
    I think you miss read my query. I don't want nor need nor expect your address, you have a location as ND, Fargo. Cool. I'm not wanting your full name and SSN either. I'm just interested and needed to be educated as to why most/ some don't post a state for location and use a name other than screen name.
    If I didn't explain myself well enough or if you have lots of questions I'll be happy to go to a PM.
    I know this is not a formal site, nor should it be, but as friends and I feel everyone on here is a friend or should be treated as such till otherwise noted.
    Thunderstruck may have hit the nail but I'm still interested if there might be security reasons or something else.
    My apologies for asking this early in the morning as some might need decaf.
    A PM reply for my question is ok too so the rest won't get ridiculed.

Mike

I get your drift...understand too what your driving at.
    I'm not so interested in personal names as I am interested in what state they live.
    There is a lot of information to be had about their opinions on things such as lube and hot days or...problems with powder coating routines when you consider 'where' they live.
    There is more to know when you read their opinions in the political arena...for instance the North Easterners and Florida seem to have unique opinions and are quick on the keyboard...it gives one some idea about the mindset of people in general in those geographical areas of the US.

Stick with the old school, it'll be popular again once all this 'new political correctness' burns down around their ears.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have several screen names or first names in my address book that I have conversed with through various forums. Danged if I can remember who they are or which forum they are from because their screen name is different. Sometimes you just lose contact with folks because you remember them from their screen name, but not which forum and certainly not by their real name. The general location in a state would be nice, especially when responding about the availability of components, and the prices of scrap metals. But that is not for everyone. I understand that. I am also surprised that the comments seem a bit out of character from what I usually see on this forum.

The best answer is probably this one. " It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile."

Yes, I need more coffee too.

Boolit Master
    Thank you dusty and OS. Another reason for a name or nick name is so you know if your dealing with a male or female. I still use Miss, Sir, Madom etc. Not terribly important just part of correctness I guess. I believe I didn't explain myself correctly. Not wanting "Personal" info.
    At my age I guess I'm looking more for security issues maybe? not to post a state or-geological area?
    Didn't think it would be any harm to ask but I guess asking a question these days can be offending to some sensitive "folks".
    Second cup coming up ! Thank you

Mike

Boolit Master
    < I think I have it the way ya want over there. Since that is what folks call me, & where I live.

When in a PM, I address with the name of the person if I know it & I "sign" with "JB" at the end. As was said, it is more personal ( "Personal /Private" Message).
    IMO, Folks on forums choose a nickname, member name, or alias usually to identify them specifically based on what they are interested in, or identify with & to stand out from others so to be distinct & not be mis-IDed.
    Another reason is to maintain some privacy for themselves in a place until they get to know the folks better.

In regard to the first reason I offered, imagine if there were 4 "Michael"s in the forum. If you were in a topic & were addressing a specific one, how would the others know that you were addressing that particular "Michael"? Well, you would have to distinguish between them to do it. Thus, you would maybe have to say, "Michael from Virginia" instead of "Michael" alone. "If" ya knew he was from VA., and none of the others were froom VA. too.
    But, if "Michael from Va." had a membername of "MuddyBoots", and no one else had that same member name, then he would know who you were addressing & so would everyone else. Thus, no confusion between the "Michaels", or anyone else.

{This is why I am called, "JB" instead of my given name, since at one time long ago, in a schoolroom class, there were 4 of us with the same name & the teacher needed to be able to call on us singularly to answer questions & had to give us nicknames to keep us from not knowing who she was addressing.}

The second reason I offered is like you entering a bar, or a lunchroom,et. with mostly strangers in the room, then joining a conversation(existing topic), or starting one ( a new topic). You don't say, I am, "Mike" from Va." and my opinion on that subject is, ".....". You just join in.
    If ya know the folks already by their nicknames, such as Bud, Scooter, and Lippy; does it really matter if ya know their real names & where they are from? Maybe later after ya get to know them, but at first if it is an informal conversation, there really is no need to know that info & where they are from. Let them decide if you &( and anyone else listening to the conversation/posting in a forum) has the "need to know" more personal info.
    I don't see the need if it is a simple conversation between strangers. Same as on the internet, as it is not so personal & the courtesies are not usually necessary.

Kinda long winded, but I hope I helped ya understand better.

Anyway... You can be bothered by folks not doing it if ya want, but I reckon you should just get used to it, as I don't see it changing now. You can sure try to change it if ya like, but I also reckon it won't work. LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    JB, not looking to change anything. I was searching for a possible security reason, opinions why/ why not etc. trying to change some with the times but not as far as to do something like Facebook.
    And a few have pm'd with good examples.
    Thank you for the reasons. Good ones.
    Enjoy the day,
    Mike

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    I think you miss read my query. I don't want nor need nor expect your address, you have a location as ND, Fargo. Cool. I'm not wanting your full name and SSN either. I'm just interested and needed to be educated as to why most/ some don't post a state for location and use a name other than screen name.
    If I didn't explain myself well enough or if you have lots of questions I'll be happy to go to a PM.
    I know this is not a formal site, nor should it be, but as friends and I feel everyone on here is a friend or should be treated as such till otherwise noted.
    Thunderstruck may have hit the nail but I'm still interested if there might be security reasons or something else.
    My apologies for asking this early in the morning as some might need decaf.
    A PM reply for my question is ok too so the rest won't get ridiculed.

Mike
    I've always used my name or an abbreviated version of my name on the internet, as well as using my State and town and or an easy to decipher slogan for such. I've always been an "open book" type (Extrovert). I've known many people who are much more private (including my Mom, who is an Introvert), I'm sure they have there reasons? I guess security is as good as any reason. The world can be a big scary place, but it can also be a wonder place full of gracious people...it's all about how you want to travel through it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

One reason for the vague or no location may be security were talking about discussing firearms sometimes high dollar firearms and leaving location out may be a security thing, as these are at time high theft items. Another reason may be in some locals firearms are not looked on favorably.

The site has areas that are public. Sharing a name and location might allow someone to put that together and look up an address, that along with discussions of numerous owned firearms could encourage less honest folks to target the persons home for crime. Especially since some here will mention travel plans.

PM's are private between two members so they will often have real names used and if swapping or selling is the topic of PM then addresses are exchanged.

We started a thread to meet for lunch during a weekend gun show in the area so people could meet and greet, I know some of those folks see each other socially or for some shared range time now. Difference is the exchanges of real world information was not shared with the whole world on the internet.

I agree putting a state, major city or area of state in ones profile is very useful and not much if any security or privacy risk. Allows folks from same general area to meet up or know that a face to face swap is possible, or even offer suggestions based on knowledge of that location. I was given some PM tips on where I might get certain powders that were hard to find from others in Michigan who knew it wasn't too bad a drive from the Lansing area to Grand Rapids area. I mean SE Michigan or Lansing Area or West Michigan give context and allow members who are in the neighborhood to maybe meet up.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

“Another reason for a name or nick name is so you know if your dealing with a male or female”

My pet peeve, though not terribly related to the discussion at hand, is when people assume your gender based on your name. My first name is one that apparently was as male as John or Fred in the region and time I was born, but is far more commonly female it seems otherwise. It irritates me to no end to get mail at work addressed to “Ms.” or emails from colleagues I’ve never met or talked to that make the same mistake. I would get work emails from one corporate guy who insisted on calling me “Miss” and seemed flirtatious. He got the point and changed tune quickly when my reply included my full name starting with “Mr”.

As to using my name and much personal information in general posts, this is a forum on the open internet, and the reality is that we are not all friends. I value a little privacy. My life is not an open book, if it was I’d have a Facebook account like my wife does.

Banned

I know many of the members here by name.
    [I could name half the guys above me]
    I'm still hesitant to use it on the open forum, but if I drop a little note in a PM I will use my name to sign the end of it.
    half the membership knows it anyway, but most just shorten the Avatar name to Run or Run5.

anyway for many of us a first name and a city would be enough to get you to our house.
    if someone rolled up here and asked for my place using my name or one of the kids names there is a better than 50% chance someone would tell you exactly how to get here.

Ah, small town america - but given internet info searches - I 'd guess a good detective could get you without leaving his computer.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast