Thread: Old Redding powder measure?

Boolit Master

Old Redding powder measure?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1300.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	206082

I am guessing this is an old Redding powder measure. Maybe someone can confirm that. Looks like the powder reservoir
    would be 2-1/8 O.D.(bit smaller that the RCBS Uniflow). Can't figure out the powder drop nozzle. No threads for a screw in. Can someone enlighten me on that too?

Boolit Buddy
    Looks an awful lot like a Redding. Mine is green. I think the plastic drop nozzle on mine is pressed in. Never had reason to mess with it in 45 years. Are there two set screws on the top edge of the hopper to secure a powder reservoir? Should be a knurled thumb screw on the left side of the drum to set / remove the powder measure. I came across an old SAECO a number of years ago. What a beast, and a pain to set up or change charges. It had stamped right on the body "Santa Anita Engineering Co." from when they were in California.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master

Yep, the old Plum Colored Redding. I have one that is complete and still working. Mine goes back to the late 50's; I inherited it from my uncle who taught me to reload. Mine has a clear plastic cone coming out of the bottom of the measuring chamber leg. I can see no threads and I can't tell just how it fits in the measure but it is tight and doesn't want to turn. It is slightly different from yours in that it has a flat mounting bracket on the back of the measure and the bottom leg is not threaded with a nut like yours. Mine has always been very accurate in weighing charges, everything from bullseye to leverution powder. I love it. I had to buy a new powder hopper for mine about 20 years ago at Widener's. Call Redding, they might have a hopper that will fit yours. Sorry I could not be of more help, james

Boolit Grand Master

Mine to is green and the drop tube is threaded in its a 3 br model. I believe some were glued in place also. Mines thread is very snug fit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BPCR Bill View Post
    Looks an awful lot like a Redding. Mine is green. I think the plastic drop nozzle on mine is pressed in. Never had reason to mess with it in 45 years. Are there two set screws on the top edge of the hopper to secure a powder reservoir? Should be a knurled thumb screw on the left side of the drum to set / remove the powder measure. I came across an old SAECO a number of years ago. What a beast, and a pain to set up or change charges. It had stamped right on the body "Santa Anita Engineering Co." from when they were in California.
    Bingo; this one has the two set screws for the hopper and the knurled thumb crew on the left side. The press fit or glue in make sense also. I can machine one of those. If anyone has a newer Redding I would sure like to know the O.D. of the hopper so I will know if it will fit. Thanks to all for your input.

Jay

It does and doesn't look like a Redding but then they change over the years...here's one to compare it to. I bought a new plastic hopper but for the life of me can't remember who I got it from...

It's a cool looking old school powder measure but actually the RCBS Uniflow will stomp all over it...it is a nice looking display though.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has a plastic reservoir, and it measures approx 2.125". The ID of the top of the hopper is 2.160". I have two powder mics for mine, one for larger volume of rifle powder, the other is for smaller amounts of pistol powder. Both work well. The OD of the micrometer barrel that fits in the drum is .75". You can likely call Redding and get a new reservoir. You can't use a Lyman reservoir as they are 2" diameter. When my Dad bought this for me (along with my entire first reloading "kit") it came with a bench side mount that screwed into the top edge of the bench (or a shelf up on the bench). I still have that piece but I keep the measure mounted in an RCBS bench top mount. I don't know how many thousands of rounds have been loaded with that jewel!
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

Name:	DCP_1300.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	206082

I am guessing this is an old Redding powder measure. Maybe someone can confirm that. Looks like the powder reservoir
    would be 2-1/8 O.D.(bit smaller that the RCBS Uniflow). Can't figure out the powder drop nozzle. No threads for a screw in. Can someone enlighten me on that too?
    I agree with others that you have an older Redding measure. Midway has the replacement reservoirs and caps. They have a number of different heights and may even have the funnel if you search. Here is the link to one reservoir https://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...-size-with-cap

wcp4570

Boolit Master

I have both RCBS and an old Redding. The Redding will measure about any powder I put in it. Not so with the RCBS, it measures great with pistol and ball powder but will miss measure stick powders once in awhile by as much as 3/10's of a grain. And more often than the Redding. My Redding will measure within 1/10th grain with about anything and do it in a monotonous fashion. my 55 yrs. experience with the Redding anyway. I have had the RCBS about 20 years. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 10-18-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	KIMG0059.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	206101

The decal on mine says "Redding - Hunter" It has the cast steel reservoir cap. The powder baffle is aftermarket. The small capacity pistol measure was from Redding. It's easy to swap out from rifle to pistol.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired

Boolit Buddy
    I just loaded up a bunch of 223 using one. Pretty accurate, even with stick powder. You can order replacement reservoirs.

Boolit Grand Master

There are sites on line that sells the plastic tubing by the foot also. I have gotten what I needed from them in the past for projects. On a couple I rebuilt I used brass tubing from on line metals. Not original but it works and polished out its a nice look. I have found clear and smoked plastic tubing on sites for the hobbyist.