Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Hand casting with Mastercaster Magma style molds

Boolit Master

Hand casting with Mastercaster Magma style molds

Is there any downside to hand casting with magma style molds?

I have been dreaming of a master caster since before I started casting and I am determined to get one soon. I have even thought of selling off some guns to pay for it, but now is not the time to be selling guns.

But I need to get a mold for 38spl now.

I have decided I am done with lee molds, going to try accurate molds.

There isn't much of a price difference between a 2 cav hand mold and a 2 cav magma drilled/tapped for handles w/sprue plate conversion.

Will I have issues or hate hand casting with a magma style?

Or can I start collecting molds now, to ease the pain of dropping the cash on a master caster in the future?

Thanks,
    Matt

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem I see is it being only two cavity. That is going to be low output hand casting. If you intend to get the Master Caster soon, it may not be too bad. If it is years down the road, you will regret not getting a four cavity. At least I would, as I shoot .38's in two pistols and three rifles.

Look at the volume you shoot and the time you are willing to spend. I would never own a two cavity pistol mold for hand casting...but that is me...YMMV. But I only own pistols that see a lot of use .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The same as a Lyman 2 cav. Just takes RCBS handles.

Boolit Master
    I understand I am limiting myself with just a 2 cavity, but I can live with that. It will just be another reason to get the master caster sooner.
    My goal is to get 5 molds to cover my handgun needs, 380, 9mm, 38spl x2, 45acp.
    Hand cast some and do load development/testing.
    Build up a larger lead stockpile and then get a master caster.
    Even with the soft market I have 3 guns already picked out that would pay for most of the master caster, I just don't like selling guns much.
    But I want the master caster, so if I have to I will.
    I ladle cast now, but I might get a Lee 20lb dripomatic that way I could play with a pid and automating the pour spout for now.

Cheap experience towards automating a master caster.

I decided the other night to really start heading towards this goal over the winter.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Banned

you can cast just as fast by hand as with the machine.
    faster actually.
    your not giving up anything by buying a magma mold, they are top notch and hold up to tons of casting.

I sent you a PM. with info about hand casting with Magma molds, I have experience with this and shared a little info with you. Bill

Boolit Master
    Thanks Billy, I might be in touch.

Runfiverun I know I can cast faster by hand, but I plan on automating the casting machine so I can do others tasks while the machine chugs along.

I am a geek and my dream is a fully automated ammunition factory.
    I have always been fascinated by process automation.

I am as interested in the automation process as much as the casting, maybe more.

Just to be clear, I am planning on getting magma style molds from Tom at accurate molds.

I found a thread last night from 2010 showing Tom's molds, including his hand cast conversion sprue plate and modified Lee handles.

I will try to remember to add a link tonight, it is a good thread.

The thread also pointed out that the sprue plate conversion at that time had a bolt on the bottom of the mold interfering with using a mold guide, Tom's conversion/molds that was listed counter sinks this bolt, leaving the bottom of the mold flat.

Not sure why I didn't find this thread when I searched earlier, it basically answered my questions.

Banned

if your planning on that, go with his steel or brass molds.

I would also step right into a master caster and not the lee pot, they are waaaay too different for anything [knowledge] you gain from the lee pot to transfer over.
    I have 2-3 of both sitting on the bench.

Boolit Master
    The knowledge I am looking for is building and programming the controller. Not just a basic pid, but probably an Arduino running as a pid.
    Also if I automate the spout pouring I will be running 2 of the 3 functions needed in the master caster system.

It would just be a cheap way to start system development.
    I have never used the Arduino and am rusty at programming.
    Going with something more complex than a basic pid will be a headache on this project, but I have plans to use this technology for other projects.

Plus my machining​ skills are non-existent, so butchering a cheap Lee before I get my precious mastercaster just makes sense to me.

Plus I would like an electric pot for hand casting in the future, even if I have the master caster.

Last edited by mjwcaster; 10-18-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    And thanks for the advice on the mold material.
    Never even considered that.

Banned

having torn up an aluminum mold trying it ...
    I just tried a brass mold on the master caster and I like it.
    I can loaf along and just keep the handle moving at a steady pace and it does it's thing.
    maybe a 45-70 would be over kill, but for a 9mm or so it's nice to have the heat retention of the brass mold.

Boolit Master
    Here is the link to a thread about toms sprue plate conversion w/pics.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Casting-Mold

Boolit Grand Master
    If you automate the Master Caster, look at using a gearmotor. Most automated machines use an air cylinder, but then you need an air compressor plus mounting of the cylinder.

There are a few who have used a gearmotor and it has advantages....especially if you want to cast at a different location where air is not available. It should be less noisy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Dverna thanks for that.
    I really don't want to mess with air, no noisy compressor to wake the neighbors and more portable.
    I don't move it often, but my whole reloading setup (Dillon 550) fits in a tote, mounted to a board.
    Just find a bench, c-clamp it down and I can reload any where.
    Plus I rent and am limited to a single 20 amp circuit in the garage, so power usage is a concern.
    Ideally I would use a propane powered pot, but controls for gas systems seem much, much more expensive than electric

I use a set of lee 6 cavity mold handles. you just have to tweek them a little to get the mold to close right. I hand cast when I just need a few to work with D Crockett

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I got my master caster back in 2011. I had all my regular RCBS & LYMAN moulds converted to use on my machine. To date I have 13 moulds, and I have another two new moulds to send to Eric for conversion. You might get a lyman or a RCBS mould in the caliber and style that works best in your gun and then later when you get your master caster you can send in your mould and have it converted and sent back to you when they ship your master caster. That is pretty much what I did.
    Here are a few points to keep in mind. Master caster does not do moulds with hollow point pins, or hollow base pins, also cast iron moulds will stand up to the use more than moulds of brass, and aluminum I would not suggest its use at all of this application. I am getting the base that is used on Magma's master pot. I can remove the pot from the master caster with two bolts and put on the new base and now have a 40 lb pot that is a bottom pour, or switch it back when ever I want to. Additional base is only about 130.00 bucks. Will use it mostly for shotgun slugs, buckshot moulds and hollowpoints and my fishing sinkers and jigheads.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Is there any downside to hand casting with magma style molds?

I have been dreaming of a master caster since before I started casting and I am determined to get one soon. I have even thought of selling off some guns to pay for it, but now is not the time to be selling guns.

But I need to get a mold for 38spl now.

I have decided I am done with lee molds, going to try accurate molds.

There isn't much of a price difference between a 2 cav hand mold and a 2 cav magma drilled/tapped for handles w/sprue plate conversion.

Will I have issues or hate hand casting with a magma style?

Or can I start collecting molds now, to ease the pain of dropping the cash on a master caster in the future?

Thanks,
    Matt
    I had a Master Caster for years. Then I wanted to start casting with some LEE and H&G 4 or 6 cavity molds. I removed the mold mech. and guides from inside the MC, drilled a single hole in the right (?) side, cut down a ~3" angle iron, screwed it to the base. Threaded a couple of holes in the angle, countersunk some holes in a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate for a shelf. Tie down the handle mech. with wire.

Worked great. I still had some favorite MC molds, and could set it back to normal in about 30 minutes or so.

I sold it before moving as I thought I would be paying by the pound. Wish I had it back!

I'll replace it with either an RCBS bottom pour, or a Magma E. Master Pot or Cast Master. You can convert the Master Pot to a Master Caster, I believe.

I prefer casting with two large cavity count molds, as it goes just so much faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010101.smaller.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	264142

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if your planning on that, go with his steel or brass molds.

I would also step right into a master caster and not the lee pot, they are waaaay too different for anything [knowledge] you gain from the lee pot to transfer over.
    I have 2-3 of both sitting on the bench.
    I had a Master Caster for years. And I had a couple of 10# Lee pots. If I wanted to try a small quantity of alloy, before making a thousand bullets, I'd fire up the Lee. It is easy to clean, it heats up quickly relative to a 40# pot. And it is easy, far easier to get the residue out of before trying another recipe as compared to the Master Caster, which is bolted down to a bench!

Sold the MC before moving to AZ. Still making boolets on a 10# Lee.

I see no issue with learning the ropes on a Lee. The hardest parts about learning to cast bullets:

1) what alloy to use

2) learning how to flux (a very, very big deal)

3) understanding how to optimize the use of your mold, including, prep, cleaning, lubrication, preheat, etc.

It is far easier to learn this stuff with an aluminum mold and a 10# Lee pot than on a Master Caster, where I learnt my stuff.