Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck gun

Boolit Master
    Depending on where I am driving and the time of year, it is usually either take my Mossberg 30/30 during bear season, my T/C carbine in either 22 Hornet or 9mm Luger if just coyotes are open, or my T/C Contender 45/410 if grouse is open. I will admit, after doing business and if the rivers are unfishable, I will take the scenic route home over logging roads.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Other than my normal "carry" - if we're going to be out on back roads or lightly traveled roads out in the boonies here in AZ, a Winchester 30-30 Ranger Carbine slid into a case. Small, light but will pretty much handle whatever needs to be handled.

I dont have a gun in my vehicle. If I was to keep one however, it'd probably be a beat up marlin 60 or the like.

Boolit Master

Depends on where I'm going. Traveling near Mexico which is always planned in advance I carry handguns and a lightweight utility AR-15 with iron sights only and many magazines in case of a breakdown on some lightly populated and traveled roads. In less remote areas I only carry handguns, one for each of us.

"Less remote" is a relative term when you're talking about West Texas and Southern New Mexico.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Chinese Type 53 in an archangel conversion stock with 10 round mags(3) in a hidden zippered gun case that is a part of a storage pocket system I designed to hold all the **** I haul around. Can't tell it is a gun case and the one time I was stopped last year I told the officer there was a gun behind the seats(legal in MN in a pickup). He looked, looked some more and finally asked where. I had to tell him where to open a seam on the storage to find the zipper. He laughed and said I should sell them because it is a great theft deterrent. Who is going to steal a bottle of oil, oil rags, bungee cords, some spare parts(it is a 16 year old truck), and my winter survival extras, 2 hats, 3 pairs of gloves and a pair of mittens, and the windshield scraper.

I keep my Yugo M57 Tokarev clone between my seat and the center console. It has a magazjne of lead swc in it and a spare of Bulgarian surplus hardball nearby. The swc load cut a clean hole in a cheap cast iron skillet piece I found at the range.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Banned
    David2011,

Certainly IS, when one whole county has <500 residents..

yours, tex

Banned
    MaryB,

I once had a PU broken into for <3.oo worth of change & a used "gimme cap". = It cost over 500.oo to repair the damage to the truck.

yours, tex

Banned

easier to leave the door unlocked than It is to replace the stuff and the window too.

what is in the truck varies throughout the year.
    generally a model 92 in something that starts in 4 is under the back seat.
    there is a shotgun [model 1300] out there right now.
    last Tuesday through Sunday it was the 0-6.
    in the spring and summer it's usually one of the AR's, the Arisaka in 257 Roberts, or the old mossburg 243.
    sometimes it's one of the 300 BO's.

I didn't realize until asking that "truck gun" meant semi beat up,don't give it too much thought....to,so many folks.

I thought it was more daily carry and right tool for the job.Which for me is a 7-08 stainless 700 loaded with tackdriving CB's.It's rare for it to be out of my sight.Whether I am in the truck,on a job,in the woods,at home,in bed....well,you get the idea.It's sporting a Leupold 1-4x20 and is slick as greased snot.

Out of town, an old Marlin 30/30, and a Ruger BlackHawk in 41 mag. City/ town, 1911 in 45acp. Backwoods, my 30/06 or my 308.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master
    What I carry...everyday, a S&W Shield 40. Any long gun must be unloaded in a case with ammo stored separately to be legal in my state. So unless I am on the way to where I hunt the long guns stay home.

Boolit Master

If it were easy to get and have a pair of Ma deuces in the truck bed with lots of cans. All remotely controlled from the cab, why you might ask, never found anyone who wanted to argue with Ma deuce more than once. Since they are not easy to get most of the time I travel without anything, why because I have nothing firearm related anymore, just memories of what once was
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    S&W 66 6" barrel with 125gr. HPs in cylinder and 2 speed loaders filled with the same.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Scoped Savage Axis in .223 as beater rifle; and Springfield Armory 1911.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Man
    It would make the most sense to carry a 12 gauge with some buckshot and a good flat shooting rifle! AKA my poor old 870 and 220 swift........But i have never been one to follow my own advice! Missed a nice Coyote just yesterday with my Blackhawk 45lc! Ohhhhh but think how great it would have been had I hit Him!!!

Boolit Master

Definition of a Truck Gun
    To me it is a gun you don't worry much about getting dusty, the finish worn, and just stays there without any thought until you need it. Kinda like the long handled shovel in the bed of the truck. Each basic tools for the task at hand. In my case, I've killed more rattlesnakes with the long handled shovel than the shotgun.

Other Guns in Truck
    When I'm hunting there will be other guns along. The 12 ga Fox for pheasant. This year it will be the Shiloh Sharps .45-70 for deer.

EDC
    I usually always have a concealed handgun on me too.

Boolit Master
    A pistol caliber lever gun is a good call. A pump 12 GA with a mixed load of buck and slug is another good call.

All depends on where one is driving one's truck and what one might reasonably expect to use it for. In my case, I call it a trail gun and it's for use when traveling in the back country offroad. I see it as almost entirely a defensive firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    Just right carbine takedown.
    Glock 26.
    Both take same magazines.
    Seems only logical.

Sub 2000 and mags in a backpack with a space blanket, water bottle and beef jerky. G26 in a holster. Should get me back from town in most cases.

Banned

the truck gun out here is something that can rattle around a bit without you really caring about the finish.

it's used to whack a yote or rock chuck when the opportunity arises.
    the Arisaka and Mossburg I mention above wear scopes that would allow me to buy 3-4 of the rifles they are on.
    both rifles have been drug [literally] over lava rock and basalt, it's hard to tell if they get a new scratch, but they'll shoot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast