MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck gun

I live in suburbia now so it's whatever my daily carry is
    - When I lived in the country various guns had the honor
    - mainly by being inexpensive and accurate enough.

Random listing of what lived in the scabbard in front of the seat cover.
    Marlin 336 30-30, Remington 870 12 ga, Enfield #4 303, Savage 24 22LR/20ga

Marlin .30-30 has not much finish left
    870 only during bird seasons
    Enfield #4 rode the road the longest as it cost me $50
    Savage 24 often just road in the scabbard until
    we got up to where the small game/birds were.

Sort of miss that 'ol 72 Chevy long bed, - terrible gas mileage
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to agree with something that you do not care much about. It will get beaten up and it may get a bit dirty or rusty. I have a .30/30 that I was going to use...paid $135 for it. A bit of rust already on it. Older top eject so it will not wear a scope but maybe a peep sight. Never got around to it though. I have lost the urge to just kill critters for the "fun" of it. For protection, a truck gun is too slow to get into action. It must be cased and unloaded. So the Glock I carry is for two legged problems.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Fortunately for most of the states west of the crick you can have any gun in your vehicle loaded. Obvious exceptions for the left coast crowd.

Boolit Master
    Utah doesn't allow a loaded long gun in a car. As a result my first choice for a truck gun is an AR pistol with a 10-12" barrel and a good arm brace.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Master

That surprises me. The no loaded long gun part. Your choice is logical.

Boolit Master
    My car guns are a glock19, and a glock21SF in back.

My take down 10-22 is available if needed.

If trouble is expected than AR is avaliable.
    Last edited by garym1a2; 10-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    in pa. if you have a licenses to carry you can carry any hand gun you want loaded. I carry a browning n-p with me all the time. but the bunny cops case problems if you have a loaded long gun in the truck.

Banned
    never had to worry about truck being broke into since it is never locked and keys in it. Have worn the bottom edge of the SP1 16" flash hider resting on the floor until it looks like an upside down AK muzzle brake. But then I live a lot further away from roads than most people. That and it would be bad meeting my dogs if you were up to no good at night

Banned
    I have the AR with a 20 rd mag stuffed in the crack between the seats with an old towel laid over it to keep as much dust as possible out of it. Loaded with the horrible jacketed Noslers, Ruger in the glove box with Mini-mags or Super extra, 1911 with H&G 68, a bunch of Unique is laying on the seat under the AR stock. Has handled every coyote, animal to be put down, groundhog, social situation or other need for a lot of years

CZ P07 9mm with extra mag within easy reach and SS 10/22 takedown in toolbox with 3 loaded mags stored in the butt stock.

Boolit Master
    The M134D with electric turret works well on an armored Suburban if your really serious.

I settle for whichever 44Mag I'm favoring at the time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    With tongue in cheek...

It all depends on where I'm taking the truck that day.

Murphy
    copy that
    ditto for me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    It used to be an old Glenfield 25. I picked it up at a pawn shop 30 or so years ago for $10. It came with little stock finish, plenty of rust and no clip. It traveled hundreds of thousands of miles under the back seat of several trucks over the years. Last year I got bored and thought "I wonder if I can re-finish this? It now looks too nice to be a full time truck gun, so I'll have to find another old beater.

Boolit Master
    Old bolt action Sears 30-06 rifle. Rifle has traveled a lond distance behind the rear seat in the truck. Killed a few deer and wild hogs. Still shoots well but had to change the scope 5 years ago, the old Weaver scope fogged up on the inside. I am 72 and have had the gun since I was 18.

Banned

I just carry a handgun that small enough for consealed carry. My truck has a glock 29 in it and the jeep has a shield 40 in the glove box. there small enough that if I'm not carrying that day and go somewhere I feel I should I can just strap them on. Same with my wife. She has a ccw permit but normaly doesn't carry. If she gets in a situation that makes her nervous both fit just fine in her purse. As a civilian the chances of getting into a situation especially where I live that a guy would need a rifle or shotgun are rare. I can guarantee you one thing. If you do shoot someone 50 yards away youd best have a good lawyer. Id bet 99 percent of cases where civilians had to use a gun the range was measured in feet not yards. Only time theres a long gun in one of my vehicles is during hunting season in case I come across a bird, deer ect that I could legal harvest. Your not a swat operator.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    So nobody worries about the truck being broken into and the gun boosted?
    One good reason I stopped putting gun stickers on my truck. Simple cable lock and hide the bolt in the glove box or something would keep it from being a smash and grab.

Ground hogs and coyote are all I'm worried about, if I'm not doing anything thats going to put me near that kind of environment then I take it out and lock it up in the safe.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 10-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    In my younger days when I lived in Texas, I kept a No.5 MKI .303 British Carbine with a bandoleer of ammunition in 5 round clips in the trunk of my car. I also had a bayonet affixed to the end of the muzzle. Just pulling that out with the bayonet affixed would solve any issues. Back then, gun, ammo and bayonet were cheap and an easy throw away.
    Last edited by fjruple; 10-20-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

My truck rifle gets used on car hit deer and the occasional coyote stupid enough to be in range of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I just carry a handgun that small enough for consealed carry. My truck has a glock 29 in it and the jeep has a shield 40 in the glove box. there small enough that if I'm not carrying that day and go somewhere I feel I should I can just strap them on. Same with my wife. She has a ccw permit but normaly doesn't carry. If she gets in a situation that makes her nervous both fit just fine in her purse. As a civilian the chances of getting into a situation especially where I live that a guy would need a rifle or shotgun are rare. I can guarantee you one thing. If you do shoot someone 50 yards away youd best have a good lawyer. Id bet 99 percent of cases where civilians had to use a gun the range was measured in feet not yards. Only time theres a long gun in one of my vehicles is during hunting season in case I come across a bird, deer ect that I could legal harvest. Your not a swat operator.

Banned

Mary I once freaked out a liberal tourist up here (we have lots of them) We were heading to camp one fall day a few years back and got about 5 miles out of town and saw a range rover pulled over on the side of the road and a deer laying in the road. The older couple were going nuts. the deer was thrashing and trying to get up but when they hit it they broke its back and the back end was paralyzed. I got out of the truck and asked what happened and they told me they hit the deer and it needed a vet fast. I walked calmly back to the truck and grabbed my glock 23 walked up to the deer and put a bullet in its head. They were about going nuts. But what really set them off was I pulled out my knife and cut the two hind quarters off the deer (the rest was shot) I even asked if they wanted one. they must have thought they ran into a scene from deliverance. even my wife was shaking my head at me. She knew the deer needed to be put down but was kind of shocked that I cut the hind quarters off right on the side of the road with other vehicles driving by. She eats venison all the time but told me I had to give those hind quarters to my dad on the way to camp because she didn't think she could eat it. I shook my head and told her that that was insane. Whats worse being humane and putting down a deer that's in pain or shooting one in a field that's just out there eating!! Id bet even today that yuppy and his wife tell there yuppy friends about the red neck hillbilly that murdered that deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My truck rifle gets used on car hit deer and the occasional coyote stupid enough to be in range of the road...

Boolit Master
    Ok, that story made my day ! I can see the look on their faces !!! No need to waste the meat....
    Mine is presently a 7615, easy to load and unload, finish wear no issue and it serves to end coyote issues and any unplanned hunting opportunity. We live in the country, there's been a gun of some sort in my truck for over 40 years. No theft issues to date, but it stays out of sight.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast