Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soft shooting fast powder for heavy bullets in 9mm 147gr-158gr

VV N320 or Alliant Sport Pistol. Word on the street is that much faster than those and you'll end up with inconsistent burning, pie plate groups, and/or unpredictable pressure spikes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobass View Post
    VV N320 or Alliant Sport Pistol. Word on the street is that much faster than those and you'll end up with inconsistent burning, pie plate groups, and/or unpredictable pressure spikes.
    I guess you could bring this up to Lyman about that. ( or maybe other manual providers) Lymans load data for 147gr bullets & boolits have 700x, Bullseye & Titegroup loads listed in at least the 50th reloading handbook. ( That is the only manual I have at hand here by the Laptop right now. I am not near my other sources/manuals to check those, but I went thru them all before I started on this & I did not see anything that merited concern for the testing I did.)

If they thought there was inconsistencies in burn or unpredictable pressures, or anything that could be considered unsafe, I am of the mind that they would not use those powders, all of which are faster burning than your examples. Or, at least, point out their testing showed such adverse conditions using those powders.

I am not trying to argue your post & point. I am just saying that I do not go by the "word on the street" when it comes to much, let alone reloading. I go by experience I can verify, either by my own research, or vetted verifiable sources. At minimum, sources who have demonstrated knowlegde to me in a particular subject & not just hearsay. YMMV on this. Do what "you" feel is right.

I do not have the ability/equipment to test for pressure. I do have the ability to recognize signs and certain firearms behaviors though that could create an unsafe condition. I am comfortable using "MY own judgement" when it comes to testing the loads I choose to test & using what I can to detect issues before they get unsafe. For others??? Once again.. Up to them & YMMV.

Regardless, Thanks for bringing up something that might have been a factor in these particular tests.

BTW... For everyone who reads this topic: I think I already said/posted this above, or something similar, but... You use this data & info at YOUR own risk. I am not responsible for others actions, only MINE.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Hmmmmm..........why has no one mentioned Clays?

Seems to be the go-to powder around here for those heavy bullet shooters unhappy with Titegroup.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    Dunno? It would work too.

I just went with Red Dot since I already had it ready to go from loading other rounds for other calibers. Still sitting in the powder measure from the night before. I could have gone & got some BE or or even some 700X too as well as the Clays, but MAGA mentioned Bullseye & Red dot in his list & not those 2 others, so since I was gonna ladder test other rounds with Red Dot, I volunteered to test a couple of these 9mm weights for him. Got focused on that & just plain didn't consider those other ones after. I reckon if I had some trouble with the RedDot I wuld have gone to the others to try next, but it looks like the RD is gonna do fine.

Got some Clays yourself?
    Your turn then...

LOL

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    The problem with Clays lays with whether it is the old Australian Clays or the new fangled Canadian Clays. I know a few people who swear by the old Clays and swear at the new Clays...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Hmmmmm..........why has no one mentioned Clays?

Seems to be the go-to powder around here for those heavy bullet shooters unhappy with Titegroup.

Jerry
    Lyman cast #4 shows clays 1.9-2.8gr (2.8 listed as compressed) 669fps-873fps for the 147gr. I've not tried it yet but I will admit to using clays for very light loads in other cartridges and even in 9mm with 120gr TC boolits.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123