Reloading EverythingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 45-70 with 2400 ?

Boolit Buddy

45-70 with 2400 ?

When using 2400 powder in a 45-70 is everyone still using the Dacron wad listed in the old Lyman manuals?

Thanks Scott

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest the use of a Dacron filler instead of the wad as used in the old Lyman manual. The Dacron filler is beneficial and I use it. Many don't use a wad or filler but whether you find it beneficial depends on the weight of the cast bullet you use and the level of charge used.

Note; Lyman hasn't listed the use of 2400 under cast bullets at the TD level for many years. The data in CBH #3 with the Dacron wad will still be very close with the use of a Dacron filler. The use of 2400 with cast bullets at all levels in the 45-70 was dropped in the CBH #4 because they also dropped the use of the Dacron wad.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

45-70 with 2400 ?

I recommend using current load data. I have not seen any load data for the 45-70 and 2400 in current online sources or load manuals. I personally use RX7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    2400 in my plinking or deer killing to 200 yds (Scoped Marlin 1895) with 1/2 grain dacron is my absolute favorite as I shoot NOE 350-460-FN or RCBS 405 grain
    boolits and I never exceed 1500FPS as I never needed too .And easy on the shoulder /Ed

Boolit Master
    2400 is one of my best loads in the 45-70. I have compared fillers vs no fillers with this powder and I do get better groups with the filler. Note: it's not a wad, it's a "plumped up/lofted .5g piece of dacron pillow stuffing. Don't pack it down on the powder, loft it up so that it touches both the powder and the base of the bullet. All it does is keep the powder in one place.