Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rude Surprise

Rude Surprise

I was awakened at about 5:30 this morning to a really rude, and obnoxious, surprise: the horn in my F-350 going wide open. I jumped out of bed, half asleep, stumbling around trying to find clothes and keys. I woke the dog up, my wife, and every neighbor within ear shot. What a mess. I have an idea of what caused it - the contacts in the steering wheel are possibly in need of replacement. Anyway, since i never use the thing, I just pulled the fuse.

Hopefully somebody can read this, picture my mad scramble, and get a morning laugh from it.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Buddy

Yes i can see it. Only time I ever had that happen it was like 22 below. Figured the cover shrank so much it engaged the horn. Had to pull cable from the battery post. Good luck getting back to sleep after that happens.

Boolit Master
    I've had it happen in an Oldsmobile Trofeo, had the pull the fuse as well.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, that would wake you up for sure! My home alarm went off during the night, about a week ago. It turned out to be a faulty glass breakage sensor. But after I got up with the flash light and pistol and made the "rounds", I never went back to sleep. It did offer the chance for me and the Wife to practice our defense strategy!

If your fuse has anything else on it you can probably unplug the wire to the horn.

Boolit Master
    You gotta be kiddddddding!! Yesterday morn about 5.30 am my neighbors horn on his 250 ford started blowing and blew for awhile!! What a coincidense or what!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    lmao I know that mad dash must have been fun, thanks for the chuckle. Guess I shouldn't complain about my wifes car alarm going off occasionally.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

This post sure reminded me of something that happened when I was a kid. Our next door neighbor was a TV repair man; B&W only (he said color would never catch on). He loved to tinker so he built a burglar alarm for his truck. Basically it was a washer with a length of piano wire hanging through it with a fishing weight on the end. He added an under dash switch & did some other stuff to make it hard to disable easily.

In the middle of the night, a big wind came up & sure enough the truck started to honk intermittently until it finally stuck "ON" for some reason. After waking the whole neighborhood he ran out in his underwear & after a frustrated minute or two, he just started ripping out wires until it stopped.

BTW: He had a dirt floor in his garage so he dug a pit so he could change his own oil. Had to fill it back in when his wife fell in it.

LOL
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Well it was not a horn, but close. Back in the days before fancy electronic sirens, we had the old mechanical ones and it was decided to wire the siren into the same circuit as the car horn. It was an either/or choice and when you needed the siren you just flipped the switch and pressed on the horn ring. After making an emergency run, it was the custom to tap the horn to be sure you had remembered to flip the switch back to "horn". So there I was in a quiet residential area after the dust had settled when I tested the horn. The relay stuck, and it was still in "siren" mode. And it would not unstick. I calmly exited the vehicle, opened the hood, and tapped smartly on the relay with the wood baton which caused the relay to unstick and the siren wound down. And the audience went back into their houses. I suspect it added a laugh at the dinner table that evening. Dusty

Banned
    Dusty Bannister,

FUNNY.

yours, tex

Once had a Jeep parked in front of my condo building that had the horn go....and go....and go....for an hour....I called the police, they came and said they really couldn't do anything to stop it.
    Being a Jeep, they had some kind of latch on the side of the hood. I opened the hood and asked the cop if I could remove the wires from the horn. He said he would look the other way.
    I RIPPED the wires out of the horn, the cop left and everyone (except the owner of the Jeep) was happy.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

something like this?

Haha...I’m glad I was able to bring a grin to some folks this morning. I anticipate tomorrow morning being much less dramatic.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master

Of all the crazy things I have had happen to my vehicles, the horn has not been one of them so now it will, maybe at the VA hospital parking lot.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Moderator Emeritus

The anti theft on mine triggers if you use the fob to lock the truck then a key to unlock it(including tailgate). I came out of Walmart with a huge load of groceries, and without thinking I opened the tailgate with the key... alarm going, key fob wouldn't reset it until the key was near the ignition so I had to open the door, get in and hold keys by the steering wheel then push the button on the fob to turn that dang siren off. Soon as I got home I found the siren and cut the wires! Not like someone is going to steal a rusted out 16 year old F-150. I would totally disable that stupid anti theft garbage but it is wired into half the dash...

Same as MaryB on the wife's hot rod sube.Can't stand that feature.I drive vehicles that folks wouldn't want to be seen in,much less steal?So just leave the keys in them.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm immune to this type of thing. Horns and alarms are constantly going off. I'm situated between two major thoroughfares through town. EMS and police sirens are heard often. The bus service runs up and down the one road. I don't bother to check to see what the noise is all about anymore

Boolit Master

I haven't heard a car alarm go off for some time now,the person that was causing most of the alarms to go off is in jail on capital murder charges.Hope it is a situation that stays and we won't be bothered with the alarms any more
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

In Remembrance

It happened to me back in 1961 on a Mercury Monterray car while I was driving a (at the time) gal friend home. I pulled over and popped the hood to pull the horn wire. Wonder why she never went out with me again?Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone seen the video of the guy who wired his buddies horn to the brake lights? Hilarity insued.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The op's story reminded me of Maggie and the air horn. Back when I drove a truck over the road I had a dog (Maggie) that rode with me. When the price of fuel started going up manufacturers started putting the air horns under the truck and using a button on the steering wheel to activate it. Maggie learned that when she stood up with her feet on the wheel the horn would blow. From that it wasn't long before I'd be sitting at the fuel pump and when another driver came walking in front of the truck Maggie would blow the horn! The higher they jumped the more she enjoyed it, usually the other driver would laugh but a few wanted to kick my butt! Ahh I miss her and her sense of humour.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast