Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welp, I'm screwed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    For the love of God, don't go to the Group Buy threads!!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard.
    I'll 2nd this advice lol, I tried to stay simple but I still have 6 molds just for my 38s...... welcome to the club, it's fun when the weathers cold! Nothing like a hot pot of lead to keep you warm .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Welcome to the group. And another one is falling down the rabbit hole.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the darkside.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Vendor Sponsor

you have be assimilated.. you will never look at a stop light the same again ( how many wheel weights can I find at THAT corner)
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Start saving coffee cans, cookie tins, plastic jars....anything that will hold 10+ pounds of boolits...and learn to build sturdy shelves !

Welcome aboard.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard. So if this is madness, does that make our bullets the crazy pills? Would the obsession then be the cure or the cause?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

You didn't step over the edge of the slope, you jumped.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Welcome aboard . Now go lock up your CC , bank card and mad money .....

Really only 5 moulds for 38,357 ?
    I must have about 6-7 for 45 ACP , Schofield , Colts which lead to 45 Raptor and 45-70 .

Don't start paper patch . Too soon you'll be buying moulds that will feed 2 calibers then of course you'll need a gun to use the unpatched bullet .....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Enjoy all the money you'll save!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    All I can think about is pouring more lead into my mold and what new molds I can buy...
    Yup, I THOUGHT it was you I saw at them support meetings!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Thanks!
    I loaded these guys up with 7 gn of TrailBoss. Gonna go see how they go Thursday.
    Most of my shooting with that redhawk has been with jacketed rounds under 23-24gn of W296. I think it'll be a fun plinking session.

Attachment 206092

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Welcome to the madness. Nice job for your first cast.

this will help calculate hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2883499

Testing hardness with pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3554910

there is a wealth of information here
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

there is a large source of free load data here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources
    This is great information! I read the "From Ingot to Target" before I bought any casting stuff. It was actually one of the reasons why I've started. I love loading my own rounds and I really like the control that you get. I also REALLY like a full house magnum load and you simply cannot get that if you just buy ammo.

The mold I bought was from Accurate Molds and it is a four cavity mold and 2 of them are 240 gn swc and the other two are 240 gn swc with a gas check... I got 52 of those gc rounds in my first session, but I'm not quite ready to go there...

So far, I've made 110 boolits (58 / 52 gc) and probably threw back at least half of the ones I made but it was fun. I'm looking forward to casting more - maybe do just a 10lb session.... Ok - I can see how this gets expensive. But cheap! I get to shoot more!

Banned

I can remember the first cast bullets I shot. I had a co worker who casted and he gave me 25 320 grain swcs for the 44 mag. I took them out with some of the hp jacketed stuff I had and was shooting at an old wood stove someone threw in the woods. The jackted stuff put a smear or the steal and the cast shot right through the far side of the stove. I was sold right there. The next day I ordered my first mold. that was about 35 years ago and I still get a bit of a thrill shooting a bullet I made myself.

I shot my first cast boolits today and I am hooked!

I loaded them with 7gn of Trail Boss, so they were little plinkers.

I showed my friend and when I told him I cast them he said "WHAT?!? You make this out of a chunk of lead? Can I come next time you do it?"

Now all I have to do is figure out how to load these suckers as full house magnum rounds!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abandon all hope.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	227199

Welcome to the disease lol!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    well caster of lead has it right thats why i got into casting. TO SAVE MONEY wife keeps asking where are the savings? i just tell her it will save money in the long run. i do feel kinda bad every time i say that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never used a gas check in my 44 super blackhawk, even with 21gr 296 and the lyman 429421 boolit. No leading

Welcome to the fire. Would tell you to run, but its too late. I think the amount of moulds I have nowadays has grown by a factor of 10 since finding this site. Bunch of enablers here, I tell you, but you won't find a better bunch.

I got the bug casting lead soldiers when I was about 10. I can remember when I considered 200 lbs of ww ingots a huge stash, nowadays, a pittance.

Boolit Master

I don't think this subject will ever become "over rated"! Many of us didn't think we had it in us. Some didn't feel the need to surpass factory accuracy, and some really didn't see the "big picture". But now we do. As a carpentry instructor, I finally get to share all the knowledge I've learned from the 34 years as being a builder. As a reloader/caster I can share "some" or "some ideas" as I've only been at it for a few years. Honestly it's addictive to say the least. I try to remember to give God "a big thank you" because I have all my faculties to get the job done. We have the ability to think things out, make notes, hit our heads like "I could have had a V-8" and adapt to an attitude wherein those "mistakes" we make are actually "valuable lessons"! Lord knows my attitude in the past had a BHN of about 500! Anyway, sorry to rant on!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12