Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welp, I'm screwed.

Welp, I'm screwed.

I cast my first boolits out of wheel weight alloy and linotype (4:1) and it was pretty fun... I got 58 good ones. They are 240 gn swc that I'm gonna load up with trail boss for my redhawk.
    All I can think about is pouring more lead into my mold and what new molds I can buy...

Attachment 206037

Yep, you've gone and done it now. Turn back, before it's too late!
    Just kidding, welcome aboard.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Banned

your done for.
    I could write a list of what casting stuff I got and you could shoot for that, but 10 other guy's would just write a bigger one.

so i'll go with welcome to the site.

Boolit Master
    It will only get worse from here.................life as you know it is over. Welcome to a new beginning!

Banned
    Welcome to the madness. Nice job for your first cast.

this will help calculate hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2883499

Testing hardness with pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3554910

there is a wealth of information here
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

there is a large source of free load data here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Welcome to the addiction. Try to control yourself and remind yourself that you only need a couple of molds for each caliber. Learn different loads and applications for those and keep your head about you and you can afford and enjoy this greatly. Also, you don't need to collect enough lead to ballast an aircraft carrier. Figure out how much you are shooting and how much you are recovering and make a plan to cover only those needs.

(didn't use any of this advice.
    have about 200 molds and am still in new group buys.
    have enough lead to make my subdivision lean to the East.
    still buy molds for calibers I don't even own or really want.
    have casting pots and molds still new-in-box and might never open them.)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    First off , welcome to the forum and the addiction that has absorbed us all in here. Just remember we do this to save money. Lol yeah right.
    As was stated in earlier posts, start with only a mold or two per caliber, and work with those to start. Work at learning all you can about those molds and loads to use with them. Sooner or later you will settle in on a few accurate loads for the mold. Then either branch off with a different mold ,or move onto a different caliber, or a new mold. May I suggest if your casting for multiple weapons in the same caliber select a mold that you can use for all said weapons. Example you may have a .44 levergun and a .44 pistol . One mold may work very well in both. Hope I helped you some.
    Above all else be safe . When I doubt research, ask questions , and read ,read,read. Tons of knowledge to be had in here and most are more than willing to answer questions, or point you where to find the knowledge that you seek.
    Once again welcome aboard.- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    For the love of God, don't go to the Group Buy threads!!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard.
    Bob

Boolit Master

Resistance is futile.

Boolit Master

Come on fellers, you trying to scare him off?
    Welcome to the board 44Blam!

Banned

Congratulations.

Nothing is more fun to a caster and tinkerer than a big bore revolver. A lot more forgiving than an auto loader and with that Red Hawk, you can really load her up, or you can make it into a big kitten for plinking all day long comfortably and accurately.

Boolit Master

This is more than a hobby ;.its part of a self reliance life style; you do for yourself with your own hands and tools ;solve problems do not experiments .become a better shooter.
    This Thing Of Ours is also a identifier ;as in hello my name is....I'm a bullet caster

Welcome to the addiction!

Watch out for warning signs.

Converting space into a casting/reloading area.
    Selling other stuff, other hobby's for melting pots, molds, ladles, etc.
    Buying a turkey fryer and big cast iron dutch oven so you can start smelting your own. Playing with alloys.
    Melting down Pewter!

Your on the high road to hell buddy, enjoy the trip, your in good company.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the board pretty new at this myself entering my second year casting .

Boolit Master
    HA HA HA there's another one heh heh heh as you know misery loves company. welcome to the galena hoarders association. my names is (insert here) I have a problem......

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard, and Welcome to the Casting Hobby! Good Job on your first attempt! Wheelweights often make good pistol bullets without adding anything to them. You might try them straight or with even less Linotype. Linotype and other type metals are getting harder to find and you could stretch what you have even further by going from 4 to 1 to maybe 10 to 1.

Don't let the Guys scare you off, although the hobby is addicting! You will find yourself looking out of the car window at intersections searching for that stray wheelwright. You will find yourself looking at piles of scrap hoping to find a piece of sheet lead. It don't matter how many tons you manage to stockpile, you never quit looking! When we travel for vacation I refer to it as "Virgin Territory"! I'll hop out at stop lights or exit ramps and "Rescue" that stray wheelwright, even though I'm probably sitting on 3 tons of lead. My Wife says I'm crazy! I have even got a few friends that pick them up for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    As someone who has been afflicted with this dreaded disorder for 55 years, I can only offer you four words - "THERE IS NO HOPE".

Looks like you made some pretty nice looking boolits - congrats and now you can have the fun of shooting them and then making more! Good luck and enjoy!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    As someone who has been afflicted with this dreaded disorder for 55 years, I can only offer you four words - "THERE IS NO HOPE".
    that is a true statement, but it sure is fun and satisfying to say I made it.

Nothing better on a fall rainy day than casting boolits, fluxing with pine jointer shavings, and a good beer. +1 on the pencil hardness tester and cast em soft for low vel pistols (>~950fps)

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I cast my first boolits out of wheel weight alloy and linotype (4:1) and it was pretty fun... I got 58 good ones. They are 240 gn swc that I'm gonna load up with trail boss for my redhawk.
    All I can think about is pouring more lead into my mold and what new molds I can buy...

Attachment 206037
    Try 5:1. I have used that exclusively for 40 years and never had a leading problem.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast