MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Mills

Pepper Mills

Hey:

I need some advice on a pepper mill. The ones we've tried are all about he same. I'm looking for a pepper mill that just flat out puts out some pepper. Manual type, no electric. Prefer a cranks style but that doesn't matter as much as output.

Does anyone make a high geared pepper mill? Any other pepper lovers out there found the holy grail of pepper mills.

Appreciate any and all advice.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Following this thread as I also am seeking a hight output pepper grinder. I like about a teaspoon of course fresh ground pepper on my cottage cheese and it takes long time twisting on my current pepper mill. Searched Amazon dot com, but found nothing promising enough to cause me to buy one. Still searching. May check with Red Lobster Restaurants. I recall in days of old the servers carried a pepper mill and offered to pepper the customer's salad. If they had one that put out pepper volume like their Parmesan cheese grater, it would be a winner. I would think the crank handle types would be faster than the twist your wrist types.

Boolit Master
    I've never found a pepper mill that produced consistently. I keep store bought medium and course grind in the spice cabinet as backup, but grind my own as needed with a mortar and pestle.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thanks very much Artful. I just scanned the reviews and ordered a Unicorn Magnum.

Boolit Master
    I have my own mortar pestle.
    The mortar is a little cast iron bowl from Cracker Barrel store, it has that as-cast roughness inside and grinds well, the pestle is a hunk of hard walnut I turned on the lathe.
    it good for many other spices also

I find Mills with removable tops that can be operated with a cordless drill.

Boolit Grand Master

Wood crafters used to have a pepper mill kit for wood turners. The grinder and parts were there and you made the wood outer. You could have a matching peppermill and rifle stock. Actually You could make a very nicely finished pepper mill and have it as a one of a kind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I have my own mortar pestle.
    The mortar is a little cast iron bowl from Cracker Barrel store, it has that as-cast roughness inside and grinds well, the pestle is a hunk of hard walnut I turned on the lathe.
    it good for many other spices also
    Walnut is a very good choice for food prep items. Hardness means long life and the tannins in it make it anti-bacterial.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I will agree the Unicorn Magnum is the best pepper mill I've ever used. I didn't have a clue what it was, the wife picked it up at Good Will for $3 or $4 and it works really good!

Brass Turkish coffee mill. Mine says coffee mill. Solid brass, adjustable grind.
    This is similar to mine. https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Mill-I...ss+pepper+mill
    Last edited by dbosman; 10-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Saribachi's seem to me to work better and faster than the mortar and pestle for grinding up spices.

But I want a mill for the table. That Unicorn Magnum looks interesting and I ain't gonna wait to find one at Good Will either!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Bit over a year ago I bought a coffee grinder, hand grinder. I happened to have gone through a couple over the previous year so I wanted one that would stand up.

While reading through the homemade black powder monster thread I started seeing several posts where they were using a coffee grinder to grind their powder after pressing into pucks and drying it.

I go now that is the coffee grinder I want. So I ordered it.

Very adjustable, plus it holds its adjustment. No slipping, no small plastic piece in a ceramic burr to strip out or break. This unit is built to stand the test of time.

I have in search of the perfect cup of coffee for the least amount of dollars spent gotten finer and finer with my grind over the last year. Starting at 150 cranks I am down to 70. Very fine stuff, like fine pepper really.

2 piece unit, top is a hopper and crank with some good leverage. Bottom is a glass collection bowl that threads into the top piece. (or could be left off)

I know my dad liked pepper on his cottage cheese, bout black with it in the center.
    I suspect this grinder would do that in say 10 or 15 turns of the handle.

It is worth taking a look at.

https://www.amazon.com/DuraCasa-Manu...972982011&th=1

Moderator Emeritus

Yes Alton Brown LOL he was the one who started that I think!

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    I find Mills with removable tops that can be operated with a cordless drill.

Moderator Emeritus

If I need bulk pepper I use the electric coffee mill dedicated to spices only, otherwise I use a Penzy's wood mill.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Check out Campmor they have a small coffee burr mill, hand cranked and adjustable, I have 3, 1 for pepper 2 others for spices.
    They will flat put out the pepper!
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

I just tried my new Unicorn Magnum for the first time and what a difference! This is exactly what I have been wanting for years. Thanks again for the information.

Neal

Glad to help
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    I just tried my new Unicorn Magnum for the first time and what a difference! This is exactly what I have been wanting for years. Thanks again for the information.

Neal
    Glad to hear that, ours should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to give it whirl.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Moderator Emeritus

Might have to try one, the grinding bur stripped the screws out of the wood on my penzey's mill. Epoxied back in but that is a temp repair at best, that area sees a lot of stress. And I am a black pepper fiend! Made sloppy joes tonight and a pound of hamburger had over a tablespoon of black pepper in it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast