We have our monthly black powder match this weekend and temps have dropped dramatically from the 90's to the 60's so I wanted to see if the Colerain barrels on my two long rifles moved any due to temp changes. Sounds strange I know but steel, especially with a hole in it will move some when temp moves. Since I wipe between shots, the barrel barely gets warm so.......The following was at 50 yards with Goex FFG, measured by volume, #11 caps and 42 inch Colerain barrels.

First thing was to dust off my Lead Sled, takes me out of the equation you see. Then tried 5 shots with 0.490 lead balls and pillow ticking, approx. 0.015 or so. The shape of the patch did NOT seem to matter, round, octagonal or square! What did matter was powder load, 80 grains really scattered the shots while 70 put the holes touching. Tried 0.495 lead balls and store bought 0.010 patches and they were round and results were the same as with first run of shots. The guy next to me did say the last few shots seemed to have a bit more fire coming out of the barrel and that was easy to see as it was very overcast even foggy with no wind. I tried several shots with linen cut at the muzzle using some linen material Roger Johnson gave me and I was scared to death I would slice a finger with that straight razor! Results were a tad tighter than any of the proceeding so that was nice. All cloth patches were lubed just before use with Bore Butter.

So, what did I learn, if shooting out to 50 yards the shape of the patch has little to do with things but the load of powder does. Finally if you want to compete in these fun matches do some testing on a stand or something like a lead sled. I think sometimes we tend to make what we do, more complicated that necessary!