MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arbor press?

Boolit Master

arbor press?

I believe some time ago I saw a link or subforum for an arbor press that looked like a modified one ton press I got from harbor freight. Does anyone remember?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Not me but see if this helps.
    Google Search
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Doesn't Sinclair have something like that??
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    I looked at all the google pictures and found nothing. I know it was a popular device. I wonder if it was used for swaging????
    I as fairly expensive, even several years ago..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

arbor press?

Modified to do what? I use mine to make gas checks.

Boolit Grand Master

Bench resters used arbor press in one form or another to load with straight line dies for years. I used a modified bottle capper press with Lee loader kits for several years instead of the mallet and heavy block. ( Dad got tired of the banging and helped me modify it). I loaded some very accurate 222, 243 and 308 with those lee kits and that press. Later on I used a small press I made and Wilson straight line dies for long range ammo in 243, 308, and 300 win mag. My home made press is a nice size with plenty of leverage and a solid base. Its heavier than the Sinclair versions though. Arbor press can be used and have a lot of uses for reloading and other things darned handy to have around

Boolit Grand Master

I bought one to press rivets for knife handles awhile back. As I understand it's a basic tool with dozens of uses.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I use mine for gas checks too. But the one I remember had the handle changed, the baseplate was different and the part that did the pressing was milled flat and looked great. And it was made by a company that I thought was Star. I believe Alzheimer's is starting to wear on my mind, or else the chemo, but my long term memory is fairly good as of yet.

From looking for the last several hours, it doesn't look like a Star, even an old one.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 10-17-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

In the shop the simple arbor press is used for many things pressing bushings and bearings into place, pressing sleeves in for repairs, driving broaches, driving a swage rod thru oil light bushings, straightening shafts, assembling press fit parts, with fixtures bending and forming, simple jigs allow for small parts to be formed from wire, shim stock or sheet metal. With a punch die they can punch holes. It is probably one of the most versatile tools there is in the shop. A simple small die can be used in one to form small parts. We used a bigger one to make a die opener for dies when they needed sharpened or repaired. Its a very useful tool. We did some light doming with a ring and steel ball for some small stands. I recommend buying them new as a lot have been abused over the years by using a hammer on the ram when they arnt heavy enough. Look at the top of the ram on used ones and its almost always mushroomed over from this. Handles are bent from cheater pipes also. Both are sighns of abuse and over stressing the frame.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Sinclair arbor press and Wilson dies for a few of my rifles. I don't think the press is strong enough for other duties, although it works fine for what it was made for. It just is not as strong as a bottle capper of other types of presses.

Boolit Grand Master

The one I made is about the same size as the Sinclair but much heavier in weight. My base plate is 1" thick 6" X 7" square. the upright post is 1" X 2" X 8" tall the sliding mount for the ram is 2" wide 2 1/2" tall and 4" long. this has a slot milled in it 1" X 1.950" deep with a 1/2" X 2 1/2" cover with 6 1/4 28 bolts locking it to the post. Ram is 1" square with gear rack milled into it for the gear used on the handle shaft. Handle is polished stainless tubing 12" long. All the flat stock is ground for square and finish. Its a heavy weight arbor press in a smaller size. One mod I would make is to drill and tap a 3/8 24 hole in the bottom of the ram for different faces Brass, steel, hole punches, or forming bars and things.

I know folks have talked of using this one from Harbor Freight for assorted activities. Harbor Freight also has a 6 ton but that is hydraulic jack so too slow I would think.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ress-3552.html

There is this one which has a different handle set up and might be the basis for the OP's remembered press.
    https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-8600-013...ds=Arbor+Press
    Myself I was thinking of using a small arbor press or drill press for the Lee Loader shotgun kit to avoid the hammering, and I think I might be more accurate with a press than a hammer. Drill press has less leverage but also has a stop.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

The big drawback to the hydraulic jack presses is the number of pumps required to do anything. With the mechanical geared presses its one pull thru normally, with the jack its a large number of pumps to press a bearing or broach thru and it starts and stops as pressures build and let off, not good on broaches and harder on bearings. we had a 50 ton hydraulic press at work but it used an electric pump and motor with a cylinder it still under heavy loads would start and stop as pressures built and dropped.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    check with Jonb in Glencoe I believe he posted picture of one he modified

Boolit Master
    I found a photo of the bottom half of one! The plate at the bottom had been replaced with some sort of tool head that accepts dies. It isn't the same photo I saw years ago, but the same concept.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I found a photo of the bottom half of one! The plate at the bottom had been replaced with some sort of tool head that accepts dies. It isn't the same photo I saw years ago, but the same concept.
    Link to photo?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    check with Jonb in Glencoe I believe he posted picture of one he modified
    I didn't really modify one.
    Mine is a old used Dake (made in USA) that I got at a scrap iron yard, I cleaned it up and since it came without a Anvil plate, I made a custom Anvil from two 3/8 steel plates, to hold a FCIII gas check die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Thank you Jon I could not remember what it was. Old mind does not always get details just who.

Boolit Master
    I found it by googling one ton arbor presses for reloading, I think. I got a LOT of pictures. When clicked on the picture the now infamous Photobucket warning took over.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast