Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 380 brass oversized or worn out?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    700 is recommended for annealing brass, 300 should be no problem whatsoever. Someething else is the problem.

You are a correct that 6 - 700 degrees is recommended for annealing brass but that duration is for only a few seconds. Brass can be annealed at a lower temperature but it takes much longer for it to occur

Boolit Grand Master

Most data states 482 F is need to have any annealing effect on cartridge brass regardless of soak time.

Boolit Master

Hadn't heard the specific 482, but not disputing at all. I posted to clarify that annealing occurs below the recommended 700 degrees stated by ulav8r.

Would hate for someone to stick rifle brass in the oven at 500 or so and let it go overnight and then fire some 55k psi loads through their rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Even if they annealed the cases should hold bullets maybe a little tighter than before as annealing softens the brass and removes lessens the spring back from sizing it. Were the original loads cast bullets or these jacketed bullets? I would recommend you measure the expander stem for correct dia. Also are you crimping these loads. A crimp can swell the case behind it causing loose bullets. The real area of issue with oven annealing is the case head primer pocket isn't protected and subjected to the annealing also. How does the expander fit on the sized cases? Case mouth dia before sizing? Case mouth dia after sizing? case mouth dia after expanding? Bullets actual dia? Overall length of cases, 5 -10 cases to check for varience?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Even if they annealed the cases should hold bullets maybe a little tighter than before as annealing softens the brass and removes lessens the spring back from sizing it. Were the original loads cast bullets or these jacketed bullets? I would recommend you measure the expander stem for correct dia. Also are you crimping these loads. A crimp can swell the case behind it causing loose bullets. The real area of issue with oven annealing is the case head primer pocket isn't protected and subjected to the annealing also. How does the expander fit on the sized cases? Case mouth dia before sizing? Case mouth dia after sizing? case mouth dia after expanding? Bullets actual dia? Overall length of cases, 5 -10 cases to check for varience?
    Annealing also softens the brass so that there is less resistance to seating a bullet and less grip. Been there done that with some rifle brass one time.

Boolit Master
    Maybe the brass has work hardened and you are seeing increased spring back after sizing? Easy to test, anneal one and size it. Remember to toss it afterwards, though, since you will probably end up annealing the entire stubby little case.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master

Look a the Brand Name if it is Lupia made in S Korea bury it.I have had a lots trouble with this brand name brass,it is just sorry made brass.It stretches no spring back.I crush all that I get.It will also blow out so be careful with this brass.I have not had the problems with other brands.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

If it worked the first time, why doesn't it work now? This is really strange.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    If it worked the first time, why doesn't it work now? This is really strange.
    Variety of headstamps too, I tried another 3 today with the same result. dumped that container of brass and grabbed some different ones from the garage and it works perfect again. I'm not gonna lose sleep over 50 pieces of brass. I even pulled a bullet from one of the dud rounds and it crimped fine in the new brass.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

As I stated earlier, this may be one of those that it's never found what actually happened or why.

For 50pcs., like you I'd just scratch my head and move on. Though paying close attention to the next batch of prepped brass. If it happens again please let us know as I've just started reloading 380 also.

Boolit Master
    I know you said you haven't had problems before, but just as a reference for others.
    A search for issues with Lee 380 size die will turn up plenty of posts with it not sizing small enough.
    I had the same issue, not having enough neck tension.
    Even wasted my money sending it in to Lee. The illustrious Peter said it was in spec, he sized my provided brass and checked it with pin gauges.
    Funny thing is that some of the returned brass had my provided projectiles seated in them.
    I could push the bullets further into the case with just finger pressure.
    Bullets were commercial plated, 0.355".
    I cut my losses and just bought an undersize seating die.
    My standard seating die doesn't even reliably produce enough neck tension for larger cast boolits.

I guess Lee's specs and Peter's version of enough neck tension just do not match my own, or many others.
    More thorough searching after the event showed that Lee/Peter have been having the same issues since at least 2010.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    At least you caught the problem without any major failure (as in kaboom.) I've not seen that problem, I would also check your sizer die's lock ring (has it moved?) as well as the seating die's lock ring. Just in case one of those moved, causing over belling or not much restraightening of the case mouths?

Boolit Master
    I had not considered the die being slightly out of spec. It makes sense though as I'd been loading primarily slightly oversided cast rounds for my 380 since I bought it. This was my first 'jacketed' bullet purchase in a long while and first one for the 380. Even with the new bag of brass I've still caught 2-3 that didn't have enough tension to hold the bullet in place.

Is it worth ordering an undersize die from lee? Or should I just source a normal 380 resizing die from another vendor?

After some research it does indeed seem to be a common issue. Either the expander is slightly oversized or I need an undersized sizing die. I'll take some measurements when I get back this weekend and give Lee a call to see what they recommend.
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 10-23-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Derek I have a lot of Lee stuff on my bench and am happy with it and will buy more.. At the same time I have not been overly thrilled whenever I've tried to contact them for advise or recommendations. At times I get the feeling that they know how to make it but they don't know how to use it.

I've got 380acp Lee dies that I bought used from a member on another forum after he gave up his 380 pistol. So far I haven't had a problem with them. I would be willing to pull them from the press and measure if you think it would help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12