Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need load info 35 Krag ( 35-40)

Boolit Master

Need load info 35 Krag ( 35-40)

Looking for any information I can find for the 35 Krag or as it is sometimes called the 35-40. This will be for a Krag action.
    Have Lyman 358315 and 358009 for molds

Am sure this has been discussed a number of years back but a search dosn't seem to bring up anything. Also if I could find anything for 200 and 250 grain jacketed bullets this also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Facta non verba

I can neither help nor think of a more perfect cast bullet cartridge, with that nice long neck and about ideal case capacity.

Even if you've a problem finding data, with that cartridge and rifle it's an enviable problem to have.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

First one being built on a Krag action to follow a rifle made up for Townsend Whelan back in the day and another planned on a rolling block action.
    Once upon a time this, while not real common, was done to salvage a ruined bore in the 98 Krags.
    Currently being offered as a rebore and chambering by JES ( misspelled ??) so I know there are a few out there. Am just trying to get some starting information to point me in the right direction.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Reg, your baby would have just a scosh more case capacity (maybe 3 or 4%) than a 358 Win and you should be able to find a good selection of low/moderate pressure cast boolet loads for the 358 which would be just a fine place to start in loading for your 35 krag.

Boolit Master

Good idea. Would still like to find some proven loads. I know they are out there
    Thanks
    Facta non verba

A little extrapolation goes a long way in cases like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would suggest you look at the case capacity and the pressure similarity to the 35 Remington (51) 30-40 (58)
    and work up from there
    Mike

http://kwk.us/cases.html
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Have batted this one around but there are a few other factors involved and am not sure exactly how they would come into play.
    The capacities you show for the 35 Remington (51 ) and the 30-40 Krag ( 56 ) I assume are water weight and based on grains. I have checked one of my fire formed and neck sized cases ( trimmed to 2.250 ) and it comes out to 86 gn @ 72 degrees F. Quiet a bit of difference there.

I don't know if it ties in but have been told that within reason a load of lets say X pressure in a case ( any ) that necking the case out to a larger diameter , will produce the same pressure but the duration of pressure will be less because of the larger exhausting in the larger dia. tube.

This being correct, a 38,000 psi load in a 30-40 Krag would still be a 38,000 psi load in a 30-40 Krag that has been necked out to .358 but its peak would be of less duration ?

Could be wrong on this one as believe me my knowledge on internal ballistics is limited but somehow I can't buy it. ( The statement above that is )

If there were to be a tie in then perhaps it might be on internal capacities after the bullet is seated but then again there would be the factor of the heavier bullet weight and the increased bore resistance due to the larger dia and actual seating depth.

Got a lot to learn here for sure.

Your chart showing internal water capacities and related sites ,is absolutely great and really should be made a sticky. I thank you for it.
    Last edited by Reg; 10-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Facta non verba

Earl nailed it in post #4. Finding 35-40 Krag data might be harder to find than 9x57R data which is close in capacity. Whatever you do don't hurt that fine Krag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    So, I have an H&R Handi Rifle chambered in 35 Krag and my favorite bullet is a 280 grs Lyman 358009 clone. It is the most fabulous boolit! I use both IMR 4895 and IMR 4227 with it quite successfully. IMR 4198 has not performed as well in the 35 Krag as I would have liked. In the H&R with an SB2 receiver, pressure is not a serious concern and I have been triangulating between 35 Whelen, 35 Winchester, and 358 Winchester data. Ken Waters did a Pet Loads piece on 35 Winchester that was quite useful. With J-Bullets in the H&R, going in between 358 Win and 35 Whelen is a good guide but in a Krag Joergensen rifle, this would be too much pressure in any event.

23 grs IMR 4227 with the 280 grs Soupcan has been a treat. As I recall, that delivers about 1700 fps but when I get home this evening, I will dig out load data and provide my experiences to the extent that may be helpful.

Here is one of those 35 Mjolnor loaded up and ready to go:

Last edited by RPRNY; 10-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.

The greater area at the base of bullet should reduce, even, peak pressure. The .30-40 was loaded with bullets of or approximating those weights, and that data would surely be safe. It'd be a slightly reduced load; but in a Krag or a roller or for cast bullets, that mayn't be a bad thing.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Sorry the velocity with the IMR 4227 load of 23 grs is actually 1580 fps in my rifle and 2 MOA. 36 grs IMR 4895 with the 280 grs Mjolnor delivers 1760 fps (22" barrel) and 1.5 - 2 MOA. I have taken a number of hogs with that load including a 545 lbs feral Hampshire that dropped, convulsed, and died in about 2 mins from massive arterial and brain damage. What a fantastic bullet!

Boolit Buddy
    Darn! Those are good looking projectiles. Shoot me a pm sometime on making some more of them.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if extrapolation from .38-55 Winchester data might yield tenable results.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Is anyone with Quickload able to run 35 Krag? I had an old issue of Rifle or Handloader magazine from the mid 90s that had an article on 35 Krag but I recall not having a single powder in my possession. I would think that you could use just 30-40 data with the same bullet weights and not worry about it assuming that the larger diameter of the bullet will only reduce peak pressures. 220 grain data is readily available for 30-40 Krag. The issue would be if you want to work with heavier 250 grain + bullets. Lyman Cast Bullet manual has the 210 grain 311284 bullet listed with max load of 24.5 grains of SR-4759 @ 1945fps, 22 grains of IMR-4227 @ 1731fps, 25 grains of 1680 @ 1810fps, 28 grains of 5744 @ 1995fps (most accurate), 28 grains of IMR-4198 @ 1978fps, 29 of RX7 @ 2015fps, 33 grains of N135 @ 2000fps, and 35 grains of Varget @ 2046fps.

Considering that 35 Remington has both lower peak pressure than the 30-40 and a smaller case capacity than the 30-40 or 35-40, one would think you could use 35 Remington data without problem as well.

Boolit Grand Master

By increasing the caliber you have increased the expansion area of the cartridge-gun combination. Thus using a similar boolit to the original cartridge you can safely use the original data. No need to extrapolate or to guess.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yes, but only up to the available bullet weights. With the 250-280 grain bullets that may be ideal for cast applications, you will need to extrapolate. This is why I think QUICKLOAD would be great.