Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Another Lyman M Question...

Another Lyman M Question...

I currently have a Redding,Hornady PTX and regular Lyman expander dies. To me it seems all they do is just flare or bell the tip of the brass (9mm) and doesn't really seat the bullet any. If I adjust them down more,I just get more flare which is too big. So is the "M" die a better choice from what I am using? I wan't to be able to seat the bullets a little deeper so they don't drop tilted before the final seating depth. Other opinions or suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks!

I love the Lyman M Dies. They expand in two steps, with the shank the proper diameter for the seated bullet, and the top few thousands expanded enough for the bullet to sit straight before it's seated. It cures a lot of problems people have with tilted bullets and shaving lead while seating.

It will cure your problem once it's set up correctly.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned

This has been a heated debate on the CB forum in the past. The two competitors are the RCBS Expander die (which there are many diameters expanders heads for) and the Lyman M Die. A few of the important things are not to shave your lead bullet upon seating, getting the bullet to start and seat straight, and to not size down the bullet upon seating it especially if you're using a soft alloy. The Lyman M Die still leaves a sharp angle shoulder (this is where when you place a bullet into the case mouth that you just expanded with the M Die that the bullet base sits on) and this WILL still size down a soft alloy bullet. The RCBS Expander die expandes a very shallow angled taper in the case mouth. You can still partially seat a bullet in them before seating the bullet and they won't fall out. I adjust my Expander die so that when I'm using gas checked bullets the check seats almost fully in the case mouth. This taper is so gradual it doesn't size a soft alloy bullet down. Another thing too the Lyman M dies leaves a lot of the case mouth expanded that they don't take a crimp well unless you are using a taper crimp. Read what thise two places said about Lyman M Dies:

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/10912...-any-good.html

and

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/tec...h_notes.htm/46

Enclose is a diagram of how the M Die leaves the case mouth/neck to show you the ledge I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M Die.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	205973

Thanks for the information...wasn't quite expecting such an in depth answer,but it does help to know.