Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Need help picking a new NOE mold for my S&W 629 44 mag

Boolit Buddy

Wink Need help picking a new NOE mold for my S&W 629 44 mag

Well I have discovered NOE has too many options...I recently aquired a new to me minimally used 629-5 and I am trying to decide what to feed it. I am looking to use it for shooting steel at 50 and 100 yards and carrying it for deer hunting (in WI, so at most I would be taking a 50 yard shot). I was originally thinking a ~240 LSWC at about 1200 fps for a 1 round does everything (soft alloy for hunting and generic for steel). On a side note, these will be powder coated.

My first mold choice is the NOE 432-277 Keith, plenty meaty and a what looks like a design. But I am concerned too many might cause excesive wear to the gun so I also looking at the 434-258 SWC and the HTC 432-263 WFN.

First all three are not an option...I have to narrow it down to one choice (second child is due mid January so I have to do that faulting thing the call showing restraint lol). So will the 277 Keith be too heavy (or cause any other issues) if I launch it between 1100 and 120p fps? Finally any advice with any of the three options would be appreciated.

Sorry if this got long winded.

PS these 44s are addicting I sent 200 rounds down range within 3 days!

Boolit Man
    I have the HTC 432-263 WFN and it's an awesome mold! I have the RG4 so 3 bullet options. Without the lube grooves the bullets fall right out. They shoot great out of my Redhawk and Rossi 92. I'm still fine tuning loads but have Unique and 2400 loads that show promise.

I just had my second kid this spring so I don't own as many NOE molds as I'd like!

I don't know enough about heavy bullets in a Smith but someone should chime in shortly. Times like this I miss 44man's extensive knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Mike thanks for the feed back on the HTC. I'm not sure if I would get the hollow point option or not. Any chance you have had a chance to try them on any critters?

I got my 44 right around when 44man was banned...started reading up on everything and then the info unfortunately stopped. Hopefully someday we see him back here again.

Boolit Man
    I haven't yet, sorry. He was very opinionated but a wealth of hard earned knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

That was the impression I got as well.

Boolit Master

General theory among revolver guys these days is that wfn and rf styles tend to be more accurat due to a smoother alignment in the forcing cone. No 44 experience but that has seemed to be true with my 38 and 45 loads.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting cast boolits in the .44 mag since 1963. I like to 'speriment, and I believe I've tried nearly all .44 designs available from 175g NEI to 300g Lee 310. To make a long story short, the most consistently accurate design in all my revolvers is the Lyman 429421. One nice aspect of this design is that it is readily available, both new and used, and at a good price for a guy with a young family. Now, I'm not saying that other designs may not be as accurate, but I haven't found one yet. The only drawback with this design is that it doesn't always feed well in all lever action rifles,something to consider if you ever get the hankerin' to have one(and you will). For this application, I use the MP-433-640 RNFP, or the Lee 44-200RNFP. Good luck in your quest!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have the NOE 432-277 as a 4 cavity hollow point and it is one of my easiest casting molds practically jump out despite the angular features. Unfortunately, I can't get them to actually shoot any better than poor to mediocre. The Mihec H&G #503 clone SWC runs rings around it in the accuracy department at about the same weight (~260gr). I've tried it fast, slow, and in between out of both a 629 and a scoped Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter without satisfaction. I also have to wonder how stable it is at longer range given the wide meplat. NOE recently did a stock run on their version of the #503, and also have some of the 265gr Ranchdog in stock. The 432-277 was the first .44 mold I bought with the intention of being THE .44 revolver boolit for me...I really want to like the Keith bullet but it doesn't seem to like me!

Boolit Master
    KVO--Perhaps your NOE 432-277 is like the Lyman 429360.....it doesn't shoot well either? Several guys, including myself, have tried to get the 429360 to shoot well, all to no avail. We all gave up, and it kinda became common knowledge on this forum that 429360 doesn't shoot well, and as a result, every once in a while one comes up for sale or trade and there are "no takers". I gotta admit, the NOE 432-277 is one design I haven't tried yet.
    Since your MP-Molds H&G 503 clone "runs rings around it in the accuracy department", be happy, from some of the articles that I've read, Elmer Keith felt that the H&G 503 was closer to "his original design" than the Lyman version known as 429421.

I'm A Honcho!
    If I could only have one mold it would be this one - http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=4637

It is the H&G 503 clone and shoots lights out in everything I have shot it in!!!!!!!

I've heard that about the hair pulling with the 429360. My experience with THE "Keith" bullet is irony at its finest. These days having a "Real Keith" bullet is about like saying you have the Spear of Longinus. I have to confess I have never tried the solid version of the 432-277. I can say that the cup point and deep HP versions do NOT like the same loads; I've found this to be true with several different HP molds and it surprised the heck out of me. The RN and TC nose self centering in the forcing cone thing sounds great in theory, but as many other load variables are just as important. I believe it helps, but the nagging truth is that I've seen some awful small groups from SWC and full WC.

Boolit Master
    KVO--It would be interesting to see what kind of accuracy you will get with the 432-277 solid. Back to the 429360 Lyman....IIRC "Beagle" hollow pointed a mould he had, and that didn't improve anything. Next he had all the driving bands be the same, and that didn't improve anything, so those of us who tried it, just decided, like Herman Cain would say,"that dog don't hunt!" Perhaps 432-277 "don't hunt?"

Shuz, perhaps... I will try the solid version just for giggles in the future, too many irons in the fire right now (though I don't expect much difference). Mihec #503 clone Left, NOE 432-277 Right. The Mihec has a 66% meplat (.285"), the NOE has a 78% meplat (.335"). If I recall correctly, the rule of thumb is anything over 70-72% meplat and your long range stability becomes questionable, other variables including RPM, velocity being pertinent. I'll eventually try the NOE at 100yd just to see if it's still stable. Accuracy was pretty linear (despite poor) from 25 to 50 yd. It would be REALLY fun to do a dimensional comparison and range comparison between the NOE #503 wasalmonslayer linked (good looking boolit) and the Mihec version. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171018_124744-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	206102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171018_124756-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	206103

Boolit Buddy

Well I ended up ordering the NOE HTC432-263 WFN meplat comes in right in the ~71%. Now I just have to wait for it to show up, in the meantime I guess I will just have to load and shoot the last 300 or so SNS I have left...not going to lie, whatever the use for lube I am not going to miss it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I've been shooting cast boolits in the .44 mag since 1963. I like to 'speriment, and I believe I've tried nearly all .44 designs available from 175g NEI to 300g Lee 310. To make a long story short, the most consistently accurate design in all my revolvers is the Lyman 429421. One nice aspect of this design is that it is readily available, both new and used, and at a good price for a guy with a young family. Now, I'm not saying that other designs may not be as accurate, but I haven't found one yet. The only drawback with this design is that it doesn't always feed well in all lever action rifles,something to consider if you ever get the hankerin' to have one(and you will). For this application, I use the MP-433-640 RNFP, or the Lee 44-200RNFP. Good luck in your quest!
    That design may be NOE's 434-258-SWC 434421 , ( Lymans # 429421) instead of .429 dia NOE's is cut .434 . This one caught my eye also. 258 grains would be a good middle weight.
    But when in doubt , go with your first choice, second guessing usually messes me up.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    KVO--From the pictures, the NOE 432-277 sure looks like a bigger version of the Lyman 429360. Note the lack of taper to the meplat.