Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Finally getting my 1895, seeking advice for mihec mold and particulars

Boolit Buddy

Finally getting my 1895, seeking advice for mihec mold and particulars

so I finally ordered a marlin 1895 gbl despite all the rumors and things ive read online, I would've went with a henry but not having a loading gate is a deal breaker for me. So I already have a mihec 426 GC hammer mold that drops about a 330gn flat nose and a 310gn deep hp pin bullet. it does require gas checks but I was curious to see if anyone has any experience running this bullet without gas checks at a fast velocity, I also purchased a lee 457-450 mold. not a typo, it is 450gn. however it drops at .456 no matter where the temp is or alloy. only alloy I haven't tried is pure lead. so I'm currently in the process of lapping this mold to hopefully drop about .459 or larger. I was also curious to see if anyone has slugged their newer marlins and to see if they have what sizes they've found them to be. ive heard the microgroove rifles are large but have no first hand experience and this rifle isn't microgroove anyway but I'm curious to see. Thanks for any help.

I shoot the hammer mold out of my microgroove 1895ss and my buddies standard rifling 1895cb. It shoots great over around 50 grains of IMR 3031 and a mag LRP. We both plan on using this combo for deer this year.

I have shot the 450 lee too over 5744. It kicks pretty good even at lower velocity. It doesn't carry much lube so make sure you use a high quality lube.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Buddy
    I think I'm going to scrap the 450gn lee mold and try to get an noe 405grain mold. The lee won't drop over 457 and I've been lapping it. And honestly I'm not happy with the size of the lube grooves. Right now for powders I have imr4198 and h322. I'm hoping to expand my powder choices soon. I'm hoping I can find a good load for my 330gn flat nose and a good load for something about 405gn. I don't really think I'll need anything heavier. That and it also love to make up some black powder loads. I've never played with black powder but I think it would be fun.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got several of the Marlin 1895 rifles. My favorite and most accurate molds are NOE 460350 and 460425 and a few accurate molds in the same weight class fired off with Varget.