WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique my boolits

Banned

there was for all of us.
    small batches until you refine your process then fill a bucket.

Coating for coating all of them considered...I don't think you can beat the smooth even coat of 'clear gloss'...yeah, it just looks like Pb and not very glamorous but it's a dang good lube coat. You won't fill the crimp groove with PC in that cast style and cause problems in the seater scraping PC as it folds the bell inward for the crimp die and it will not cause differing thicknesses on the nose, meplat where you could end up having varying seat depths.
    You appear to be paying close attention to the details and it shows in your good work already...these are just some of the details about PC you will pick up as time goes by...so far, "fine work".
    Also, oven temperature matters, you can have fine looking PC on the casts but in some instances it's not completely cured properly...if ever that's the case it will leave light grey smears in the barrel and it's very hard to remove...just for spits and giggles verify your particular oven temperature and you will know that the cure is done correctly in future loads. It took me a while to come up to speed regarding oven temps. but thanks to Dragonheart down in Texas he got me steered straight about the oven...use one of these, cheap and reliable, easy to read...

Gettem sized up correctly for your particular gun and don't hesitate to put a little spray lube on them to get the sizing job done. This is one of the areas that Hornady One Shot really works well...you don't have to coat 360* around the PC'd cast, as each cast leaves a thin coat of lube for the next several to be sized. It works better all around especially sizing fatter cast and thick PC'd boolits.

Looks like you are off to a great start both in casting and PC'ing.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Smokes clear is definitely the smoothest. The only bad thing is I ding the boolits up doing it. Even tumbling one at a time. But the clear fills in the dings...it's like a cleat coat of varnish.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_In_OKC View Post
    After several false starts over the years, I finally cast my own boolits today. I had a high reject rate as I was learning about controlling my mold and furnace temps.

How do these look? They're representative of the ones I think I look acceptable. They are going to be powder coated, so I'm not too worried about minor cosmetic issues. Anything obvious jump out? They were cast from range scrap I smelted a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Only problem I see is they are not coated and loaded--You did well

Boolit Master
    Pretty boolits

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone. The hot plate I ordered from Amazon was DOA, so I ran several cycles of pour/discard heating the mould until I got some decent boolits. Tomorrow, I'll PC the good ones & melt the rejects.

That was my method for heating to mold starting out too, they look good I'd shoot em! Lines look sharp
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Nice looking boolits Scott. Did you dress them up for photo shoot ? Them sure are nice n clean n shiny. You got bit by the boolit bug now, no turning back!!
    Good safe shootin,
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a Lee 356-120-TC with that beveled base. I don't see any problems.

Boolit Master
    posts #2 thru #29 are completely WRONG!

i will p.m. you with my mailing address and am willing to dispose of those ugly bad attempts of boolit making ....at no charge to you whatsoever!

keep trying and keep on sending them to me for hands on evaluations pertaining to their quality.

thank you , mike

Bullits look great, if that is the Lee 356-120-TC Lee 356-120-TC I got that mold today and well be rolling some Friday!?!?!?!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Vendor Sponsor

Choot 'em
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a feeling there will be a lot of learning as I go along.

I worked loads in 100-200 batches all summer, and finally shot a competition yesterday without ANY leading, at my desired power factor... took some tweaking, but know my equipment better for it, and can load up a mess of them this winter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12