Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Savage Model 94/ Savage 220

Banned

Savage Model 94/ Savage 220

The 94 has an exposed hammer, the 220 does not. I am a fan of single shot shotguns and have a variety. I really like Savage 219 rifles, and the wife picked me up a little Savage 220 in 20 gauge that I like out of all proportion to what it is. Among other things, I have a 219 in .30-30 project I need to get going that has a split stock.

Anyway, at a gun show this morning, I picked up a 16 gauge Savage 94 for $60. The finish is rough, but the bore is nice and it locks up good and tight and all is as it should be mechanically. Among other junk I inherited from Dad's stuff was a bunch of 16 gauge shells I'm hesitant to sell off or give away (like most any ammo) so I figured this was worth the price.

Looking at it, I believe this has the same exact stock as the 220/219 Savages. If so, the stock for my 219 problem would be solved as I doubt I could get a good one like this for what I paid for the gun. Anybody know what interchangeability of parts between these two series is? They look like the same gun except for the exposed hammer of the 94.

Boolit Master
    Great score! I have always wanted a 220, but they seem to sparse around these parts.

The stock on 94-220 are the same. I am not sure if this holds true with the later model 94s. They
    have series letter with the 94 on right side of action right above trigger area. The Stevens 94s were made a sold under several house brands. They are generally easier to find parts for than
    220s & 219s. A lot of times you can pick up one of these house brand guns fairly cheap to use for
    parts. The major difference in these shotguns (as far as series) is in the barrel lug for the forearm
    and the changes in fore arm latches. The barrels from 220 and 94 made in same latch type will
    also interchange. If you have a copy of Numerich catalog there is cross reference for these guns.
    My first shotgun was a 94, I always liked the rifle style stocks compared to the clubby drop stocks
    of the H&Rs & IJs of the day. I picked up a nice 12 recently, cheap, stock had been broken at wrist
    and Bubba job of stove bolt, nails and tape. So I'm looking for a stock myself.

Banned

This one seems to be real old, but the stock and trigger guard looks identical to the 220 and 219s I have. I also like the feel of these old Savage/Stevens than other break open single shots.

Except for the fact that the finish is all worn off, this one seems in real good shape. Locks up nice and tight. Bore is bright. No pitting anywhere on it, nor any breaks, splits, major notches in the wood. I think for $60, I did alright. I do think it's going to kick pretty hard as it's a light, slim gun. That'll be OK if I can hit well with it. I have a few hundred 16 gauge shells around, been thinking of going out to the local shotgun range one Sunday afternoon and paying the fee to just shoot at clay birds for a few hours.

Banned

I finally got around to shooting this old girl today. Despite the finish being just about gone, she locks up tight and shoots very dense patterns right to point of aim for me. My oldest boy came over this afternoon and he and I did a little impromptu squirrel hunting as an excuse to walk around the place looking for deer sign (or maybe the other way around). The shells I had for it handy were #8s, so a bit small, but worked fine. I really like the way these old Savage/Stevens singles feel and carry, somehow more graceful seeming than the H&Rs (which aren't bad either). I think I did alright for a dirt cheap gun show fixer-upper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens 94C Squirrel.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	207272

Boolit Grand Master

Looks good to me! I have several old Cooey and Winchester Cooey single shots that are very similar design. For some reason I have a soft spot for old single shot shotguns.

I think you did good on the gun and congratulations on the squirrel!

I'm assuming the squirrel will be dinner? How do you cook them?

We don't get squirrels that big here... in fact when I was a kid watching TV shows like Last of the Mohicans, Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, etc. I used to wonder why on earth anyone would want a squirrel rifle! A .22 would be like a .600 Nitro for our little squirrels... and then there's almost nothing to eat!

Longbow

Banned

I am not much of a shot gunner. I have tended to favor pumps over the years, but to be honest with myself, I am not a good enough shot to get off a second shot and hit anything, and singles come up faster and point better than any other action types, so in recent years, I have been opting for them. This Savage kick started with my Savage 219, which led to a Model 220 in 20 gauge (has become my favorite shotgun now) and I needed to burn up a bunch of old 16 gauge shells that were in my dad's stuff, this one presented itself cheap and I'm glad it did. I can pick up most any rifle and shoot it pretty well, but a shotgun that works this well for me right off the bat is special.

I think I'm gonna use this one as a learning project to refinish guns. Been wanting to see how some of the Dura Coat finishes work.

Boolit Mold
    Here's a 94 that I refinished last year, it's a16ga.

Banned

Looks good and I think mine is definitely a good candidate for refinish too. No pits or major stock dings and she locks up tight as a drum.

What did you use on the trigger guard of that one?

Boolit Mold
    I had it powder coated, a local shop added it to another order when they were doing matte black.

The early models of 94 & 220 had steel trigger guards. The cast trigger guard came out in middle
    50s. This was also about the time they change fore end latching system to the stamped S shaped
    latch from the forged staight one. I had a 220 a few years ago with a bulge in the barrel. I cut
    it off to 24" and put sights off a 700 Rem on it and a slip over recoil pad. Made a good light slug
    gun.

Boolit Master
    The old Savage 94 does have a certain feel and ease of carry. These type single barrel shotguns also have a safe decock feature that later hammer guns like the NEF guns eliminated. Just like the Beretta Jetfire to Tomcat series autoloading pistols, you can open the breech of a Savage 94 and then lower the hammer.

Also since the older full choke singles are usually closer to current X-Full standards, you may want to consider loading your 16 bore with card and felt wads and FFFg in actual dram amounts. The loads work great and are a lot of fun to use squirrel hunting! Single barrel are very simple and quick to clean up afterward.

Here is an excellent article on how to set up black powder loads and cleaning afterwards.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/Sho...the_Oldies.pdf