RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Need air pistol recommendation

Boolit Master

Need air pistol recommendation

We have an older Crosman mark I that we love to shoot in our basement in the winter. My kids are getting to the age where they would both like to have their own pistols for our friendly competitions. I've looked at gunshows for another Crosman like we have but haven't had any luck. Maybe time to order a new one. So what guns do you recommend for young shooters? Probably co2 power, and just my preference is all metal construction. Durability and precision are also important.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    The 2240 is almost all metal, though the receiver and sights are plastic its very durable, accurate and as powerful if not more so than your Mk1.
    These are on sale recently marked down to 59.99 with free shipping. A great deal.

The Umarex Colt pellet revolvers have also been marked down off and on by online outfitter stores. I have a remanufactured John Wayne commemorative I ordered from airgun depot and it shoots like a new one, very accurate.
    Its one of the more realistic of replica airguns and marvelously detailed.

I'd avoid the BB only replica guns, the accurate range is not that good. I can plink cans all day at 20 yards with my Umarex pellet revolver.
    I also have one of the smoothbore BB only versions. Its very accurate out to 35-40 feet then no good at all. Got it on sale about 1/3 off new. Mainly for its looks, Nickel plated with ivory color grips.

I have a Mk1 and I share your respect for this amazing CO2 pistol.
    Prices are going up on these . You can occasionally find a restorable non working example on Ebay.

Boolit Master

the 717 or 747 are single stroke pneumatic mostly all metal.
    I have many a pellet through my 747 and it just keeps right on laying them in there.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    We have an older Crosman mark I that we love to shoot in our basement in the winter. My kids are getting to the age where they would both like to have their own pistols for our friendly competitions. I've looked at gunshows for another Crosman like we have but haven't had any luck. Maybe time to order a new one. So what guns do you recommend for young shooters? Probably co2 power, and just my preference is all metal construction. Durability and precision are also important.
    Have you looked at e bay ?Marvin

Boolit Buddy

https://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-...tol-black.html
    Have two of them, one with a red dot-it will make one big hole at 25 feet if you are steady enough.
    There is an 'upgrade' kit for it to make it an 'all steel shroud' for optics - have to search around for it.
    It likes these pellets the best...https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-150...7-pellets.html

Boolit Master

That 1377 has some serious trigger pull requirements.

I would bet the trigger pull on mine is over 10 lbs.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, it is really heavy but then I'm not paying for a $600-$700 gun. Mine has gotten "better" which really means smoother still in the 7lb range.

Boolit Master
    If you are interested in an accurate, reliable and all metal (except for the cylinder itself in the case of the second variation) the first and second variation .22 38T is IMHO the best CO2 revolver for the purpose.
    The .22 38T has a metal rear sight patterned on that of S&W K frame target revolvers. The first variation has a steel cylinder while the second has a plastic cylinder.
    The .177 second variation 38T has plastic cylinder and plastic rear sights. Its accurate but the .22 is my favorite.

You can usually pick up a .177 38T in good mechanical condition but needing a reseal for $50 or less. The reseal kits are a bit pricey at around $30 for the best one available.
    I've resealed several of these guns and its not a hard job at all.

The .22 38T is a bit more rare and can cost circa $100 bucks for one in good shape but needing a reseal. The reseal kit is the same for either gun in all variations.
    Excellent condition first variation .22 guns recently resealed have sold for $150 or more on Ebay though you can occasionally find them much cheaper in the classified ads.
    Comparable modern all metal CO2 revolvers can cost twice that and none are available in .22.

Any serious CO2 handgunner should have at least one 38T.

I have two of the .22 both first 38C short barrel and second variation 38T with 6" barrel. My first variation C is in the process of restoration, it has the early machined brass valve body. My second Variation is in excellent condition recently resealed and I got a great buy with this with its original box.

I have three .177 guns, one like new with new seals that I got dirt cheap. I just bought another .177 in good shape other than needing a reseal for less than $40 including shipping. banged up second variations can be found for $25 or less. The condition of the plastic sights is important since replacement sights are non existent. replacement metal sights for the .22 guns are available but these aren't interchangeable.
    Only get a .177 version if its in overall very good mechanical condition. Finish is less important since the finish is only painted on and stripping and painting the frame and barrel jacket is easy when the gun is already being stripped for a reseal.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Saw this on Brads tonight . Marvin
    http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/s...umberOfPages=5

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    I can vouch for the seller, I've bought several CO2 pistols from him in the past.
    He does usually insist on using the most expensive method of shipping with insurance so you can expect $20 or more to be added to the price.

If I had not had to restrain myself from any further gun purchases till next spring at least I'd jump on that Mk2.

Boolit Master
    Played with one of these the other day liked it
    https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-p17.html

I have a pair of P17's, gave one away to the husband of my wife's boss at work. From what I hear he is having a lot of fun with it.

I shoot mine in my living room. Cardboard box full of cut up rubber floor tiles for kids to play on. Taped up and stick 3 two inch shoot and see bullseye targets on it.

On a good day I can put 3 in one hole at some 15 feet.

Even on bad days I can cover 5 with a dime.

Mine has a truglo red dot on it that cost 4 times as much as the pistol.

Only thing I have done with mine is disabled the auto safety. Safety still works manually, just does not turn itself on every time you break the action.

Great little pistol and I LOVE the trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a P17 at the suggestion of this forum. And I love it. It is accurate and has good trigger. I've tested from a rest and the worst 10 shot groups at 21 feet are the size of a quarter. So if it's bigger than that, it's my fault. I like that. The stock model's sights are adjustable which is really nice for budding marksmen too. Hard to get more bang for your buck imho.

The one caveat is that the cocking effort is not insignificant. You get used to it pretty quickly. I am not sure how well a child would handle it. I might get one for yourself, and let your kids see about cocking it. If they like it, get one apiece.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    I suggest that for a younger shooter loading and cocking should be two separate steps, less likelihood of an AD.
    The Mk1 and the S&W 78g are a good choice for this reason but several of the older Crosman pump and CO2 pistols have a separate cocking knob under the receiver.

Remember most .22 and many of the .177 guns can be deadly, especially to younger kids with skull bones that aren't solid yet.

I just bought a Hatsan 25 .22 pistol. It's a bit big and bulky.

For indoor use the P17 sounds interesting.

Vendor Sponsor

If you are wanting to get into PCP, the Benjamin Marauder Pistol is excellent. I use mine with a shoulder stock and it's very accurate. Fill it with a 4500lb SCBA tank that I get filled at the local dive shop when it needs it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.