Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Advice on places to move to..

Banned
    dragon813qt,

Fwiw, my lady is PUREBLOODED Sicilian (Her parents fled the Hitler terror.) & makes GREAT Sicilian-style pizza.
    (BEST that I've ever had, too, so I don't "go out" for pizza/pasta.)

yours, tex

Banned

they both retired as chiefs (E7) at 22 years of service. Both still had kids home and both had to get a second job to get by. 50 percent of an E7s base pay isn't all that great. Figure in they loose there housing allowance and hazard duty pay and overseas pay at the same time. Not to many enlisted men can get by after 22 years just on what they are getting for a pension. Both have ended up with good jobs. Both are retired from those jobs now too, One trained swat officers for the TN state police and the other worked for the DEA and retired this year. By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for. Something that's wrong on all levels. A guy can work his whole life at burger king and collect social security but spend 30 years fighting and serving for your country and you cant.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-18-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Used to be. It is so full of liberals and traffic jams now that many who have been there 10 years or more want out. Bozo and Mizzoola are the only two cities in the state fighting a bill that prevents a person from going in to any rest room they identify with, no matter what their equipment. Nuff said.
    There is a reason we call it Bozone.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    What ever you do, don't come to Tennessee! Is God awful here! What with all the humidity, skeeters, big ticks, little ticks and blood sucking politicians! Then there's tractors and combines on the roads slowing your drive and a deer waiting behind every bush trying to decide which car to total today! God help you if you don't fancy the smell of a chicken house or hog barn, and cows, OMG the cows! The weather? Holy moley, being in the middle we get the worst heat Texas has to offer in summer and the cold of Wisconsin in the winter! Some times in the same day! For God's sake don't come to Tennessee!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    What ever you do, don't come to Tennessee! Is God awful here! What with all the humidity, skeeters, big ticks, little ticks and blood sucking politicians! Then there's tractors and combines on the roads slowing your drive and a deer waiting behind every bush trying to decide which car to total today! God help you if you don't fancy the smell of a chicken house or hog barn, and cows, OMG the cows! The weather? Holy moley, being in the middle we get the worst heat Texas has to offer in summer and the cold of Wisconsin in the winter! Some times in the same day! For God's sake don't come to Tennessee!
    Love the mountains of Tennessee, but ice, and snow must really suck.

Boolit Master
    What mountains? Ain't no mountains here, we're only 300 feet above sea level!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    What mountains? Ain't no mountains here, we're only 300 feet above sea level!

That's odd I remember riding through Chattanooga on the bike, and those are some steep hills. It must flatten out towards the west side of Tennessee.

Just read up, and I was surprised to see that WT is low, and flat. I never been to that part of the state, so I didn't realize.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for. Something that's wrong on all levels. A guy can work his whole life at burger king and collect social security but spend 30 years fighting and serving for your country and you cant.
    You are posting incorrect and inaccurte information. All my Air Force earnings during my 21 years in the Air Force counted towards my social security. I been collecting my military retirement since 1992 and social security since 2015.

Generally, there is no reduction of Social Security benefits because of your military retirement benefits. You'll get your full Social Security benefit based on your earnings. While you're in military service, you pay Social Security taxes, just as civilian employees do.
    Military Service and Social Security
    https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10017.pdf
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 10-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post

That's odd I remember riding through Chattanooga on the bike, and those are some steep hills. It must flatten out towards the west side of Tennessee.

Just read up, and I was surprised to see that WT is low, and flat. I never been to that part of the state, so I didn't realize.
    There are so nice winding hills coming out of Chattanooga as you drive north. We live on the Cumberland Plateau which is roughly 2,000 feet up. Its about 8-10 degrees cooler here than areas off the Plateau.
    Not much ice or snow, last year it snowed twice. Once it lasted into the next day. Wished we had a few more snow days but it is what it is. It can drop down to 0-10F or so once in awhile but it is rare.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Yep, I've done the Three State Three Mountian a few times!

Stay away from Tennessee, the hills are too steep to!
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 10-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    By the way. Federal employees cant collect social security when they retire for the years there getting there retirement check for.
    Federal Civilian employees can collect Social Security, but only if they have the necessary quarters earned and only at a reduced rate (about 40-60% of other folks - trying to find out for me now).

Boolit Man
    They would have had to work a second job or two to make that work.

Banned

my dad retired for federal civil service. He had worked it most of his life other then 4 years in the service and a year or two at various jobs. some that didn't pay in. When he retired he did not have enough quarters to qualify. What he did was take a minimum wage job at a store his buddy owned helping the butcher for about a year. Even then his ss benefit is only 600 dollars a month compared to mine a 1800. His military time and fed service time did not count toward those quarters.

Boolit Master
    For those of you who choose not to search on the web, these are direct quotes I posted from the social security web site:

Until 1984, employment by the Federal government was covered under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and not by Social Security. If you worked for a Federal agency during those years, you did not pay Social Security tax on your earnings and those earnings are not shown on your record.

In 1984, a second retirement system--the Federal Employees Retirement System, or FERS--was introduced. People who began working for the Federal government in 1984 or later are covered by FERS instead of CSRS. Also, some workers who had been covered by the CSRS program chose to switch to the FERS program when it became available. Work under FERS is covered by Social Security.

Earnings for active duty military service or active duty
    training have been covered under Social Security
    since 1957.
    Social Security has covered inactive duty service in
    the armed forces reserves (such as weekend drills)
    since 1988.
    If you served in the military before 1957, you didn’t
    pay Social Security taxes, but we gave you special
    credit for some of your service.
    You can get both Social Security benefits and military
    retirement. Generally, there is no reduction of Social
    Security benefits because of your military retirement
    benefits. You’ll get your full Social Security benefit
    based on your earnings.

East Tennessee

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    If I could have picked a place to raise our 2 sons, it would have been NW Arkansas. The Ozarks are a boy's paradise with hunting, fishing and all the woods.
    The enemy of good is better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234