RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on places to move to..

Kandsas City Ks is booming right now. A lot of folks seam to be moving here including businesses. Things are booming. Not sure what you do but seek job postings on line to check on the economy in wherever you want to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    As I have stated on this site before, immigrants from California did not create the septic tank that is the west coast of WA, OR, city of Denver or any problem AZ may have. They all created their own. Also as I have stated, Californians are the best people you can have move to your state. All I have known were gun owing Republicans and were trying to get away from the Democratic nonsense that runs this state.
    Not sure why you think that hogwash has any merit.

I grew up in a great little town that is now the most liberal in Idaho. It suffered a massive influx of Californians in the 80's. So did Couer D' Alene, ID around the same time. In both towns, housing costs skyrocketed, as did taxes, fees, government intrusion, etc.

When I turned 18 in 1986, my dad encouraged me to buy a little fixer upper of a house in a decent neighborhood for $20k as an investment. I didn't. That same house is now going for $300k. I moved back here from AZ and couldn't afford a home in my home town. I could only afford $125k for a small fixer upper. I now live in a town of 1200 about 15 miles away.

I have dozens of horror stories of Californians moving to neighborhoods and causing problems. Most Californians have inflated egos and no common sense. My parents live on three acres in town on what is left of the family ranch. My family has lived there since the early 1900's. Horses have been there for over 100 years.

Californians moved in next door. Said they loved seeing horses out their living room window. That lasted about three months. Then they started complaining about the flies they attract. Then the smell. Then they actually complained that the horses pooped in plain sight!

They were told matter of factly that they chose to buy a home next to a horse pasture. They didn't get it. They are stupid, bossy, selfish, and want government to take care of everything for them.

If that was just one couple years ago, it would be one thing. But that's been nearly a dozen similar people over the past 30 years that have moved here from California, bought a house, then wanted my parents to get rid of their horses.

Californians are generally busybodies and passive aggressive snobs who think they are smarter and more important than the locals. I've seen it a hundred times. I've met a few folks who said they were conservatives and Christians and shared my same values. But I just did not like them. There was something about them that was off. In every case, it turned out they were from California. They are just different, and not in a good way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Californian moved next door. Took 4 years before she waved to my wife. Drives down the road like a "Bat out of H%$#". Has horses and complains when I shoot my pellet rifle or anything and called the sheriff when my neighbor was sighting in his deer rifle as it was "bothering her horses". We live out in the country. She does pile her horse manure about 30 ft. from my fence and I get to smell her marijuana in the morning when the wind is out of the North. Now she grows marijuana (alot) and will cut off others irrigation water so she can have it to irrigate with (c'mon, open the headgate a bit so there is more water so others can have it too). We had a neighborhood get together years ago and invited her. She was 1/2 hour late and complained that we started without her (told her we do things different here) and then complained she "couldn't eat our kind of food" (BBQ, chicken enchiladas and roast + fixings). She hasn't been back.

Most people, when I tell them "She's from California" just roll their eyes and mumble "Oh, we understand now".
    Flame me all you want, I am a Native Son from there, so I figure it gives me license. I do know good people out there, but the ones moving here, well, lets say, I wish they would have stayed there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    Kandsas City Ks is booming right now. A lot of folks seam to be moving here including businesses. Things are booming. Not sure what you do but seek job postings on line to check on the economy in wherever you want to go.
    I really liked this area. Have a friend that moved there. So when I was in town for business I went to visit him. Only thing I didn't like was their tax structure. It seemed like it was all over the place. The locals I worked w/ all lived in Missouri for tax purposes.

I can live anywhere in the country as long as I'm w/in 90 minutes of an airport that's reasonable to fly out of. If KCI wasn't the complete mess that it is I would consider moving to the area.

Some people might slap me on the back of the head here....but Bozeman, MT (area) is a great place to raise kids....but you can't ***** about the cold or you'll get kicked out.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned
    Idaho45guy; rockrat,

I hear you. = I was once stationed with the Army in LA County & your comments about the residents of "KOMMIEFORNIA" are spot on, in our experience.
    (My lady & I leased a good-sized piece of property with a nice house & immediately were "blessed" with "locals" calling the city/county government to complain about the "noxious" smoke/odor from our charcoal grill. = The second time that the police "came out" a SGT "strongly suggested" that we NOT grill steaks or cook BBQ outdoors.)

yours, tex

Texas always has work. Come on.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't imagine not living in Texas but I suspect I could get by in TN. I was born in Oak Ridge, or so I've been told. I think we're going to have another Amazon fulfillment center nearby and plenty of other growth going on as well. Texas isn't for everybody and the last thing we want to hear is how you did it "back home".
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Advice on places to move to..

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    the last thing we want to hear is how you did it "back home".
    The same could be said when Texans move to other states

If it wasn't for people bringing their experiences and pieces of their past w/ them this country wouldn't have grown. No one wants the bad things. But bringing the good things, like cuisine is good for everyone. It's why I can get good Mexican food in PA. And yes, I've had the real thing and it stacks up. Now if only someone could figure out how to make good pizza below the Mason Dixon Line

Banned
    dragon813qt,

What I miss about PA is Dante & Luigi's in south Philly, cheesesteak sandwiches & the Amish/Mennonite markets, where I found quality handmade harness for my mares & GREAT food.
    (I never found any decent Mexican or Tex-Mex anywhere in PA though.)

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

It's very hard to find bad Italian food here. I live in a one square mile town of 5,500 people and there are five Italian restaurants. They all do things differently and they all thrive. Four have been in business since the seventies.

Good Mexican is a more recent thing due to people moving here. There is a large Puerto Rican population in the city I live near. The sofrito there is the real deal. I find it hard to get when traveling.

My point is that it was people moving here that brought this food w/ them. There are many other good things they brought w/ them. Now MS-13 in the city is not a good thing.

Banned

I know that two of my buddys who stayed in the service and retired both retired in TN. they as you know don't have a huge retirement check and both weighted it out where theyd get there best bang for the buck and a nice enough rural life without the congestion of the big city and both love it there. One was from the middle of Michigan and the other from southern WI. Both would have liked to come back home but it was just so much cheaper to live in TN that it was a no brainer for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    If we win the lottery, I'd like to move to East Tennessee or Western North Carolina. I moved from upstate NY to Alabama In 1972, with a short and horrible stop in Pensacola for three months. I fell in love with the GSMNP some years ago when my wife took me to Gatlinburg for my birthday. As much as I love Alabama it wouldn't take much to get me to spend the last few years of my life up there. I'm pretty sure Dollywood can use electricians.
    Hear Hear!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The same could be said when Texans move to other states

If it wasn't for people bringing their experiences and pieces of their past w/ them this country wouldn't have grown. No one wants the bad things. But bringing the good things, like cuisine is good for everyone. It's why I can get good Mexican food in PA. And yes, I've had the real thing and it stacks up. Now if only someone could figure out how to make good pizza below the Mason Dixon Line

From your lips to God's ears! There are some spots, but very limited that make legitimate NYC style pizza.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm not really sure what "legitimate" New York Pizza is but I have had a few here that were really good. Or at least we thought so. The South has its charms, even though its hot and humid.

Boolit Buddy
    Much prefer Chicago Deep Dish to NY cracker with sauce on it. And this is coming from someone who sojourned in NYC for a few years.

I've been really impressed with WI. Very outdoorsy state. Not just hunting but fishing and boating and biking and hiking and rowing. We live in a small town and I couldn't be happier for them to grow up here. It does get cold and you'll be penned in for Jan and Feb. But having also lived in GA, the heat can pen you up inside just as well (July and August at least). I'd say more effectively.

Also nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. Learned how to shoot there. Good friendly people, even in Lincoln proper.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Much prefer Chicago Deep Dish to NY cracker with sauce on it. And this is coming from someone who sojourned in NYC for a few years.

I've been really impressed with WI. Very outdoorsy state. Not just hunting but fishing and boating and biking and hiking and rowing. We live in a small town and I couldn't be happier for them to grow up here. It does get cold and you'll be penned in for Jan and Feb. But having also lived in GA, the heat can pen you up inside just as well (July and August at least). I'd say more effectively.

Also nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. Learned how to shoot there. Good friendly people, even in Lincoln proper.
    LOL ... You can always add more clothes in the cold, but ya can only go so far taking them off in the heat.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Well right now there should be plenty of work in your vocation in both Texas, and Florida, both states gun friendly.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Some people might slap me on the back of the head here....but Bozeman, MT (area) is a great place to raise kids....but you can't ***** about the cold or you'll get kicked out.
    Used to be. It is so full of liberals and traffic jams now that many who have been there 10 years or more want out. Bozo and Mizzoola are the only two cities in the state fighting a bill that prevents a person from going in to any rest room they identify with, no matter what their equipment. Nuff said.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I know that two of my buddys who stayed in the service and retired both retired in TN. they as you know don't have a huge retirement check and both weighted it out where theyd get there best bang for the buck and a nice enough rural life without the congestion of the big city and both love it there. One was from the middle of Michigan and the other from southern WI. Both would have liked to come back home but it was just so much cheaper to live in TN that it was a no brainer for them.
    I think you might be surprised at the size of their checks. And don't lose sight of the fact you could retire at 50% of your base pay at 20 years and begin collecting it immediately even if you are only 38 years old. Then add in whatever VA disability they might get. Then add in a second retirement as many took federal or state jobs after retiring. Finally, add in another check with social security coming.

Now on to TN. The selection of pizza places here suck. BBQ joints around every corner but any type of nonchain pizza eatery are far and few in between.
    East Tennessee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast