RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on places to move to..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Texas, Florida and California are or will be rebuilding.
    You shouldn't have a hard time finding work. Now that I think about it, you might want to cross California off the list.
    Hickory, he's in Kali; he's trying to get out.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Too bad you can't move to Kanada, we only take in Muslims with criminal records, sorry!

Tennessee, or South Carolina, but I am biased. Mild winters, summer is not horrid, people are great. Land is reasonable. An electrician will do well in either.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I will second or third Tenn. Moved here 4 yrs. ago from Maryland. Cost of living is one of lowest in nation. Great schools, low taxes [no state income tax] great people
    but stay away from Nashville and other LARGE cities [true in most states]. I live 50 mi. from Nashville and 3 miles from a small town. Deer, Turkey and Bobcat in my back yard. Son-in-law [moved here also] is an electrician also and has plenty of work.

Moderator Emeritus

SW MN is still small town friendly but 5 months of COLD and snow are a downside! If you like temp extremes this is the place! +100f to -31f!

Banned
    Glad to see no one suggested Wyoming. Kalifornians have kalifornicated OR, WA, CO, AZ and are working on MT.

Wish they would secede so we could put up a wall !

Banned

even though I HATE the green bay packers, Green Bay WI is right up your alley. Its big enough to be called a city but still the people are almost like a larger town. Theres good hunting and fishing very close by and winters are not to bad. Summers are great without the high heat and humidity of the south. Crime and drug rates are low for a city to boot. Great place if you want a smaller city to raise kids.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Prescott, Arizona area. There is going to be a lot of home building here soon. Your line of work will be in demand.
    Might as well; the rest of California has already moved there... I lived in the area for about 7 years. Lived in Chino Valley, then Dewey, then Prescott Valley where I bought a home. Californians love it there as it is better than California, but still full of crime and jerks. I saw road rage every single day. Couldn't drive to Home Depot without seeing somebody lose their mind in traffic. Had a suicide by cop three houses down and a homeless guy murdered four blocks away.

Great weather and great outdoors, though. I loved gold prospecting and exploring the old mines. Can't beat that area for outdoor activities. Just couldn't stand the people.

Moved back to where I grew up about four years ago and love it! I've seen two cases of road rage in four years...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    I will second or third Tenn. Moved here 4 yrs. ago from Maryland. Cost of living is one of lowest in nation. Great schools, low taxes [no state income tax] great people
    but stay away from Nashville and other LARGE cities [true in most states]. I live 50 mi. from Nashville and 3 miles from a small town. Deer, Turkey and Bobcat in my back yard. Son-in-law [moved here also] is an electrician also and has plenty of work.

I'll fourth it. Moved here 2 years ago from Ga and like it a lot. No state tax, and low cost of living. Folks are polite and keep to themselves. I have lived in NJ, MS, GA and now TN. I like it here.

There is work both Fed and private sector all over the state.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Advice on places to move to..

Texas. Just about any city that isn’t Austin. No state income tax. Homeschool friendly. I’m partial to the Hill Country area around Bandera and Kerrville. I thought Gonzales county was beautiful too on the couple of occasions I have been there. West Texas is also nice if you like 85mph speed limits and 4hrs of nothing. Property tax and sales tax are both high though. Always thought Kentucky and Tennessee were beautiful, might have to look into their state income taxes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 10-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

well you should come to Michigan. We need more reasonable people here! Houses are cheap here in Saginaw and there is work for a good electrical guy. Michigan is home school friendly but there is a state income tax and there is registration of hand guns. Fall colors are coming soon.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Wait to see where Amazon announces where its new semi-headquarters will be and find a town about 30 miles away. Business journals say 50,000 new jobs there and it will more than likely be closer to 75,000 as Amazon phases out of the cesspool known as Seattle. Secondary jobs will multiply that 75K number by 3. Bezos may be a hard core Marxist but he will likely locate in a place not dominated by fellow travelers like Seattle.
    It's said that Ct is vying for the Amazon HQ, if so you would still NOT want to move to Ct. Trust me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    It's said that Ct is vying for the Amazon HQ, if so you would still NOT want to move to Ct. Trust me!
    The announcement is supposed to come out this week.

Banned
    hithard,

Inasmuch as several people have suggested TEXAS, I'll go a step farther & suggest most anyplace SOUTH of a line drawn from Livingston, through San Marcos & thence west over to the western TX border.
    (While I was raised in Northeast TX/Camp County, you'll find the weather nicer down south of Austin. = My part of TX is frigid in the wintertime & the Summers are just as HOT as south TX is.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    If we win the lottery, I'd like to move to East Tennessee or Western North Carolina. I moved from upstate NY to Alabama In 1972, with a short and horrible stop in Pensacola for three months. I fell in love with the GSMNP some years ago when my wife took me to Gatlinburg for my birthday. As much as I love Alabama it wouldn't take much to get me to spend the last few years of my life up there. I'm pretty sure Dollywood can use electricians.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Prescott, Arizona area. There is going to be a lot of home building here soon. Your line of work will be in demand.
    I'd LOVE to live in Prescott, but I'm afraid that it won't be long before it's bigger than I'd prefer. Add in there are a LOT of Liberal CA folks moving there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Glad to see no one suggested Wyoming. Kalifornians have kalifornicated OR, WA, CO, AZ and are working on MT.

Wish they would secede so we could put up a wall !
    As I have stated on this site before, immigrants from California did not create the septic tank that is the west coast of WA, OR, city of Denver or any problem AZ may have. They all created their own. Many people retired from the phone company at the time I did and the several of the ones who moved to OR moved back to CA because of damp weather. One friend told me he was spending his pension check on doctor bills because of his wife's arthritis. They moved to Hemet, CA and the problem went away. My wife and I drove over much of the west looking for a place to move and decided to just stay in CA although we did move to a rural area but at the rate they are building houses it will not be rural long. We tried Prescott, AZ but it was 105% on Labor DAY and houses were more expensive than CA. We drove all the way across Wyoming and I must say that is the biggest nothing state in the union, at least of the ones we I have been in and that is many . It is no wonder that their population keeps falling. We drove out of Utah into Wyoming and entered the north east of South Dakota into the Black Hills and there was nothing to see in between. Also as I have stated, Californians are the best people you can have move to your state. All I have known were gun owing Republicans and were trying to get away from the Democratic nonsense that runs this state.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I'm with 2ndamendmentnut. Central Texas. Stay at least 40 to 50 miles outside the Austin city limits and you should be fine. The Hill Country north and west of Austin is growing pretty fast. Most around here are immigrants from north of the Red River and Kali. Most from our southern border stay south of us or go on further north. Lots of great outdoor stuff year around. No pesky snow in the winter, but a good air conditioner is a must in the spring, summer and fall(and some of the winter).
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I will say this about TN, I lived there in 1985 and loved it, had to move because of work and I went back in 2012 to visit and I could not believe the change in the area, people everywhere, at this rate TN will soon be a state to stay away from. when everyone wants to move there it soon becomes like all the other places to avoid, of course its what you want, if you like places to entertain you , places to eat on every block, and other big city conveniences than you will like it, me I don't like those things and value my privacy slow life style, I have no interest in fancy eating places or entertainment places or busy highways.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I will say this about TN, I lived there in 1985 and loved it, had to move because of work and I went back in 2012 to visit and I could not believe the change in the area, people everywhere, at this rate TN will soon be a state to stay away from. when everyone wants to move there it soon becomes like all the other places to avoid, of course its what you want, if you like places to entertain you , places to eat on every block, and other big city conveniences than you will like it, me I don't like those things and value my privacy slow life style, I have no interest in fancy eating places or entertainment places or busy highways.
    All you need to do is live 30 miles away from Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville and its pretty much small town USA.
    Cities are cities, no matter what state you live in. 95% of them are exceeding their infrastructure and the end result is traffic jams and crowds and small lots for house.
    East Tennessee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast