RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on handles

Question on handles

Ok so yep I am new to casting bullets but here is stupid question # 1

are different Manufactures brand handles interchangeable with different manufactures molds and is there a difference between 2 cavity mold handles to say six cavity mold handles and what are the best. I am looking for handles for an RCBS mold 35-200
    Last edited by Gunners Mate; 10-15-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Some are.....

Lee fits on NOE and some others. RCBS and Lyman are not interchangeable and they need their own handles.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I know Lymans nutcracker handles are different for 4 and 2 cav moulds. I'm not sure about rcbs

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to a "sticky" in the molds section of the forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hange-Use-list

First of all, your question is not a stupid one.
    According to their website, RCBS handles part no. 80025 fit all their molds. At least in my experience, RCBS handles are built heavier and are more trouble-free than those of Lyman and Lee. The wood grips of the Lyman handles have a tendency to slip off and need to be drilled and pinned to stay in place. If you compare the thickness of the steel of the RCBS/Lee/Lyman handles the RCBS are noticeably thicker. Of course, Lee molds are aluminum so may not need as much support metal in the handles. All in all, however, the RCBS are just more substantial. I recommend using RCBS handles on your RCBS mold.

keyhole

I have two older Lyman 2 cavity handles and drilled two new holes and use them on two of my NOE 2 cavity molds. It is best to buy handles for the molds that you own but I would not own Lee handles as the NOE versions are better made and have the wooden handle already pinned IMHO.

The Lee 6-cav handle is bigger/longer/heavier than the 2-cav. I have a custom brass 4-cav mold that was designed for the 6-cav handle but I found it too heavy and clumsy so fitted a 2-cav (with a bit of modification) - much better to use. Bottom line is that handles can often be modified to suit what they weren't intended for. As for the Lee handles, I've had no real issues with mine, all are still working fine.

And no, not a stupid question at all.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hoch Handles:
    * Separate Hoch handles needed for small block molds
    * Separate Hoch handles needed for large block molds
    Not interchangeable with any other brand of molds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

These are the best handles available, but they comes at a little higher price.

http://www.kal.castpics.net
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Why won't RCBS handles fit Lyman moulds?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a dozen Lyman DC handles. I set of RCBS handles. The RCBS will fit several of my Lyman DC molds, but not others.. I have 2 sets of Lyman DC handles that will fit 3 of my RCBS molds but not the rest. I have 2 sets of Ideal SC handles that will fit Lyman DC molds and 3 sets of Lyman DC molds that will work for Lyman Ideal DC and SC molds; some but not all. There doesn't seem to be any standard, just "a guess and a go"!!!

Boolit Master
    You'll need an ***'t. of handles like the rest of us have, note that the Lee handles are made of pot metal and can break if you try to adapt. them.

Boolit Master
    I've handles from RCBS,Saeco,Noe and Dick Dastardly RCBS fits RCBS,Saeco fits Saeco. Noe and DD fit Noe. I have 2 Accurate blocks and they fit RCBS handles. As some have said anything else will be trial and error. The mold maker Will tell you which handles fit their blocks.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 10-17-2017 at 02:38 PM.

In Remembrance
    A little file work will often make handles fit other makes of molds. I had an RCBS mold but no handle. As I recall, I took off a few .001s from the Lyman handle so the holes lined up.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    According to their website, RCBS handles part no. 80025 fit all their molds. At least in my experience, RCBS handles are built heavier and are more trouble-free than those of Lyman and Lee. The wood grips of the Lyman handles have a tendency to slip off and need to be drilled and pinned to stay in place. If you compare the thickness of the steel of the RCBS/Lee/Lyman handles the RCBS are noticeably thicker. Of course, Lee molds are aluminum so may not need as much support metal in the handles. All in all, however, the RCBS are just more substantial. I recommend using RCBS handles on your RCBS mold.

keyhole
    Plus One...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    Could this metal machining services be of any help? As I've seen, what you're looking for is not their primary product but I think they can craft one for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post

keyhole
    +1 on what keyhole said!

What gets old is people that ask alot of questions without doing any research.
    Google (when worded correctly) and CB search are great resources.

Yes thank you for the Screen shot I am aware of the search bar, but I like to hear your opinions to the questions that I ask.

Banned
    I took a little metal off of a set of Saeco handles and they now work with RCBS & Saeco molds.

The Saeco handles are really nice and my preferred type. They have a much better hinge design than the RCBS and the wooden handles are a bit longer. Of course, those improvements come at a cost.

Boolit Master
    I have one Lyman mold and use an RCBS handle with it. Fits fine. Maybe just a fluke, but it works.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast