Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Auction Find of the Day

Boolit Buddy

Auction Find of the Day

Went to an estate auction this morning just to get out of the house and have something to do, I wasnt looking for anything in particular but I did score an Appliance dollie for 25 dollars. as the end of the auction was winding down, I spied 3 boxes of Linotype spacers and letters wow I said to my self ,so I gad to bid on it and won 15 dollars on the 3 box lot .....Happy Camper. Brought it home and fired up the smelter an I netted 64.5# at 15 dollars that comes to 23 cents a # not a bad price I thought, just show that a blind Squirrel does find an acorn every once in a while. Here are a couple of Pictures of my score

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lynotype2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	205859
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lynotype3.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	205860
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus

Some of that looks like foundry type...

Banned
    Sweet deal

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Some of that looks like foundry type...
    yes most of it was foundry type some still in the box , Probly 50% of it , I saved one of the boxes for my curio cabinet , , It was from the American Type Founders Co. Inc
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    That is a great find Congrats

In Remembrance

Just for `Laughs & Giggles` I would get a hardness test on a sample of the combined melt of spacers and letters. Spacers can be about any hardness from linotype to about pure soft. Very nice win for you no matter what the hardness is.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! I need to start watching estate sales and ears sales more. Cool idea to save some of that type, as its a thing of the past.

Boolit Master

We just sent 'BNE' some samples to be XrF-ed, couple were mixed of printers lead, lino, mono and whatever, will be interesting to see what each batch comes out at, did about 200lbs of each if my memory serves me right. Have right at 1600lbs (more coming) of 99/1 to alloy for casting, in the past it was really a guess in our mixing but hopefully this will improve our mixing, bet we'll have ?'s to ask when we get at it.

Boolit Buddy

with the Lee hardness tester I get 22.7 bhn so this with the other Linotype that I have will last me a good while mixing it with other metal that I have .