WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trumpeter swan A early End to our morning Duck Hunting

Banned

Are you sure about they were Trumpeters? We have hundreds of commons here right now. Some states you can hunt them. You draw a tag just like for deer and you get one for the year. Swan taste just like a canada goose.

Moderator Emeritus

Goose .... GAG I grew up eating a LOT of it. With 7 people hunting we would fill a freezer with them when I was growing up. Ate way to much of it and now I can't stand the taste!

Boolit Master
    COOTS are much better that those "TRASH DUCKS + GEESE". I don't understand people eating those. Merganser is NOT quite as good as coot, but they will do in a pinch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    COOTS are much better that those "TRASH DUCKS + GEESE". I don't understand people eating those. Merganser is NOT quite as good as coot, but they will do in a pinch.
    LOL I'd have used purple to post that...^ Mud ducks & Fish chasers are low on my list.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    They do not always follow the rules.
    We have a problem with folks feeding the wild mallards here in town, in the river. Many of these do not migrate south when the rest leave, and then come freeze up they have to be fed or die a slow death. It is a bigger problem than you would normally think, if you are not looking at it year after year.
    It would be if that is the Alaskan Fairbanks. But for us the greylag goose and some other waterfowl are resident, and seem to make out. In exceptional winters in the UK I know of people rescuing moribund duck before the foxes could recycle them. When they were fed and the ice broken for them, they managed quite well. They are actually better off with water up to the plimsoll line, since it is fractionally above zero when the air is well below.

Many years ago I knew someone who shot a swan for Christmas dinner in France, in WW1 - in flight, with a Lewis gun. He said it tasted a bit fishy, which he thought odd as they don't eat fish, but a long way ahead of cold corned beef and hardtack. He didn't have to worry about the people where the bullets would come to earth.

Moderator Emeritus

Fall at the lake the mud ducks would flock up, there would be hundreds of them. As you boated at them they would all take off and defecate at once... yup they taste as bad as they smell! Friend brought mud duck stew to our annual wild game feed one year... one bite was all anyone could manage... the muskrat stew was just as bad!

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    LOL I'd have used purple to post that...^ Mud ducks & Fish chasers are low on my list.

Goose is not so bad, cooked wet and slow till the meat falls off the bone.

Forget roasting it, tain't no tame critter with an inch of fat on its back to baste the meat with grease while cooking.

Goose stew is not bad either cooked well. Of course my favorite was always hunters luck stew. Piece of Venison, some rabbit, a grouse, a squirrel, whatever fell out of the freezer.

Coots and mud ducks, no never bothered to kill, clean or eat those. Nasty

Boolit Master

LOL Canada Goose is easy
    Put some Goose Breast in a slow cooker with onions and peppers

Cook till it falls apart
    Pitch the onions and peppers
    Cool and pull apart like pulled Pork

Add BBQ sauce of your choice
    Cook fresh peppers and onions to a crisp texture

Put in a pot , heat and serve on buns of your choice

99.9% of people will just think it is a lean pulled pork
    BBQ sauce hides lots of odd game taste

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Expensive mistake. This is one reason I have always been apprehensive about taking up waterfowl hunting. It's easy to shoot the wrong thing and then it's literally a federal case.

That said, I deer hunt close to a big lagoon on a lake that has all kinds of waterfowl and hunters. I had several flights of Canada geese fly over me while I was out that were in shotgun range and would have fallen over land if hit. I'm not going to invest in a boat and decoys and such, but if I could hide and shoot where they'd fall where I could get them, I think I could get a few. Gotta look into it a bit more, but the season is next month and I'm considering doing it.
    Many, many years ago I bought a Savage 24V 30/30 over 20 ga for that very reason. I still have it, of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12