WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone drill HP cavities on loose boolits?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Anyone drill HP cavities on loose boolits?

Wondering if anyone has a way of drilling HP in boolits that haven't been loaded yet? I have seen the forester way and wondered if I could wedge a gc lee 200g .358 boolit in a shell holder and drill away? I tried and it looked like with the right shell holder the GC will catch to hold the boolit in place. Anyone try this?

Boolit Grand Master

Using a lathe with a collate and using a drill in the headstock or a counter sink works well. I have used my mini lathe to do so. Getting the hole centered and parallel to the bullets axis is essential to accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

You could try a modified version of my technique with the NOE push through sizer. I kind of like the magical distinction of having a post with zero replies though.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...niversal-sizer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    You could try a modified version of my technique with the NOE push through sizer. I kind of like the magical distinction of having a post with zero replies though.
    Hate to say it, but, "LOL"... I had to chuckle, even though it sucks...

Pretty interesting topic/post though. I did not want to ruin your "magical distinction", or I would post there saying so.

-----------------------------------------
    I have often wondered about drilling holes in some of my cast bullets to see what happens, but just haven't got to it yet. I am interested to follow what comes up here, or in KVOs "distinctive" topic.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Hate to say it, but, "LOL"... I had to chuckle, even though it sucks...

Pretty interesting topic/post though. I did not want to ruin your "magical distinction", or I would post there saying so.

I even subscribed to it to see what happens...
    another LOL

-----------------------------------------
    I have often wondered about drilling holes in some of my cast bullets to see what happens, but just haven't got to it yet. I am interested to follow what comes up here, or in KVOs "distinctive" topic.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Forster makes a hollow pointing kit you setup in a case trimmer. I can't report on it though, haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to be pretty good.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Man that right there is some low hanging fruit. If I didn't like it here so much I could almost be "that guy" and post just so there is one reply. The most subscribed no activity thread on the forums. lol

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Buddy
    It seems like you could make some soft jaws and bore them to fit your boolit. Put the drill in the tail stock. If you can set a stop to get an exact consistent centered depth.

Moderator Emeritus

Jim in Pheonix? made a tool several years ago to HP on a drill press. I have not seen him on the board in 5 years or so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Jim in Pheonix? made a tool several years ago to HP on a drill press. I have not seen him on the board in 5 years or so. Membership shows last visit 11/2013. It was a decent tool and caliber specific.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    get two boards, clamp them together (1x2, 1x3, ??) with a 1/8 spacer between them, create a makeshift hinge on one side.
    center the two boards in the drill press and clamp 1 board down to the drill press.
    Drill a hole the size of the boolit you want to HP between the boards.
    Take the clamps off that hold the boards together.
    Put boolit in the drilled hole and pinch boards together.
    Put a drill bit in the press the size of hp you want and set the depth.
    create HP

Boolit Master
    It is hardly possible to overemphasise the need for the hole to be absolutely central. A conventional shellholder won't do, as it is designed to allow slight lateral movement to feed the case into the die. A drill-press case-trimming or neck-reaming case holder, such as the Lyman, is designed or the use of a piloted tool in a hole you don't have in a bullet. I have a female Morse taper spigot I made to fit the socket for a rotating table on my drill-press. But the drill press is much more likely than a lathe to let that get a few thousandths off-centre through expansion and contraction, and we are talking thousandths here.

The only trouble with a lathe and collet is getting the right collet. With a few, such as . 375,nc there is no problem finding a Morse taper collet. For others you can buy a soft emergence collet or Morse blank mandrel, to be drilled and reamed or bored. Collets other than Morse are likely to need a collet chuck, which is expensive if you don't have other uses for it.

For a mandrel, which isn't tightened by drawing into the socket, I would drill a hole to use a dowel or plastic rod to stop the bullet rotating, and fit it in the tailstock.

If you have a lathe, why not make an accurate hollow-pointing device? It could incorporate a drill guide, or a device for pressing the hollow in a powerful vice. My drawing isn't perfect, for it ought to have shoulders on the two punches, to make sure they are driven to the same point every time. You could make collars to suit different bullet weights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollow pointing die.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	205868

Yup,made one for use in a drill press.After drilling a torx driver bit gets pressed in to refine the "hole".It works fine.Several ways to go about the process,largely based on your equipment and attention to holding extremely tight tolerances.I sort of did it on a whim,proof of concept,drilled a few...never tested it enough.The rifle was/is an EDC 7-08,stainless SPS Remington.

I once modified a set of pliers to hollow-point 22LR (hollow points, at that time, being illegal over here) Annealed the jaws of the pliers, clamped the jaws in a vise and drilled a guide hole (about 0.08) followed by a 0.22 drill in the parting line of the jaws.

Something similar cold be made for larger boolits - welding larger jaws on a pair of pliers or modifying an old mold. The trick is that the "pliers" approach keeps the boolit from spinning when drilling the hole.
    Cap'n Morgan

I have hollowpointed a few dozen Lee SWC for my 41 Magnum, by chucking the unloaded bullet in my mini lathe and slowly feeding in a center spot drill to a pre marked depth. Slow but effective. Really expand on impact.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

HP are a deep rabbit hole, the combinations are endless. I got the idea from OS OK to use scewdriver bits to swage various shapes into the nose cavity. This is a Torx T20 and the NOE copy of the Lyman 358156 (20-1) @ 815 fps fired into bare Clear Ballistics gel. Right is as cast HP, Left is with the Torx bit used to skive the HP cavity.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170908_221403.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	205876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170908_221305.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	205877

BTW my earlier post really was intended for a laugh, no intent to be snide.

Boolit Master
    IIRC, the Forster setup (and the earlier Goerg hollow-pointer) center boolits in loaded cartridges with a drill guide so they can be drilled slowly and safely with the crank on the Forster trimmer or by hand twisting.

Al Goerg was an early advocate of scoped revolvers for big-game hunting and neither of these setups were meant for any quantity production for plinking or target shooting. Testing at the time (whatever that was) “showed” that a drilled hollow-point was more effective than a cast hollow-point.

If you want a lot of drilled hollow-points, the only “practical” way to go is a lathe with the proper collet in a collet chuck. Any makeshifts will either not center the boolit properly or will mar the shank, reducing accuracy potential. Even the collet setup can sometimes crush the shank or allow it to spin, depending on how close the fit of the collet and the temper of the lead.

I predict that whatever method you settle on, you will quickly tire of drilling holes in lead. Keeping Kroil on the tip of the drill bit and the tip of the boolit during the drilling operation will keep the lead from galling and sticking to everything.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I think I'll look for a hp mold. It will be cheaper and less labor intensive in the long run. I tried to drill some by hand and no matter how hard I try the bit drifts off center.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I think I'll look for a hp mold. It will be cheaper and less labor intensive in the long run. I tried to drill some by hand and no matter how hard I try the bit drifts off center.
    It may be that ya want to try with a smaller drill bit than the one you want to end up with. Even a couple bits that step up as ya go. The "pilot" holes will help you stay close to center. As an example think... 1/16th bit, then a 1/8, then a 3/16ths bit for the final hole size, or what ever size ya wish.

G'Luck! no matter what ya decide to do!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a way of drilling HP in boolits that haven't been loaded yet? I have seen the forester way and wondered if I could wedge a gc lee 200g .358 boolit in a shell holder and drill away? I tried and it looked like with the right shell holder the GC will catch to hold the boolit in place. Anyone try this?
    Yeah, I tried to hand drill some that's why I own the forester tool jig.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast