Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: MVA's #134 sight on Winchester's 1886 and 1892?

Boolit Master

MVA's #134 sight on Winchester's 1886 and 1892?

Winchester 1886s and 1892s can function with a tang sight installed. While I have owned and shot these models - mine and those of friends - all of them had a Marble's spring-loaded tang sight installed. Although I have not known of one of these lever rifles having a vernier or Soule vernier sight installed, MVA's #134, for example, will fit either so long as correct sight base is used.

Are there reasons to use such a sophisticated sight rather than the significantly less expensive Marble's tang sight - for example, less liable to be injured or ruined by dropping the rifle with sight stem extended, or better or more consistent accuracy as range to target/animal passes 150 yards?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Winchester 1886s and 1892s can function with a tang sight installed. While I have owned and shot these models - mine and those of friends - all of them had a Marble's spring-loaded tang sight installed. Although I have not known of one of these lever rifles having a vernier or Soule vernier sight installed, MVA's #134, for example, will fit either so long as correct sight base is used.

Are there reasons to use such a sophisticated sight rather than the significantly less expensive Marble's tang sight - for example, less liable to be injured or ruined by dropping the rifle with sight stem extended, or better or more consistent accuracy as range to target/animal passes 150 yards?
    Most all my Winchesters have a Vernier sight installed on my Shooters !! I love to shoot distance with my Lever Guns!!! I can get 850yds with my 38-55 in a
    early 1894 with a 32'' barrel !!! And shooting up close they work way cool!!! My 1860 Henry has a Vernier also ! cool stuff Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post

The reason for the more expensive sight is they have windage and more precise setting . You can dial right in on your target ! say at 800 yds a little adjustment goes a long way!.........Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    I had an 1886 that was very accurate....for an 1886. I could get some five shot groups around 1.5-1.7" on a good day. However, that simply doesn't rise to the level of accuracy where the MVA sight contributes to its long range accuracy....or lack there of. The gun simply isn't capable of good accuracy at extreme ranges. The Marbles is up to the job for what the gun can do. (Not knocking MVA sights, I've put them on single shots for long range use).

It's true ya can't take those sights hunting !!!! They sure work good at the gong match !!!!

Ol Deuce