RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for info on Heneried original henry

Boolit Grand Master

Looking for info on Heneried original henry

I have been working with BP Cartridges for several years now pretty much exclusively. I am considering purchasing a Henry Original Henry lever action steel framed version in 44-40. Ive e-mailed them and am planning on setting it up with a tang sight and small front globe. With the action length and 24.5" barrel this will give a nice sight radious. I'm looking for any information on the rifle and or 44-40 loads with Black Powder. I'm thinking a 210-220 grn round nosed bullet. This will be used strictly for plinking and paper targets, maybe a little Ohio Deer hunting later on. All information will be appreciated.

Boolit Master

The 44-40 is considered a bottleneck cartridge and would make it illegal in Ohio for deer.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The 44-40 is considered a bottleneck cartridge and would make it illegal in Ohio for deer.
    Yep. You might be out of luck for deer hunting. The SAMMI diagram does show a miniscule 4 degree shoulder.

Boolit Grand Master

I cant get the Steel framed in 45 colt so the 38-55 high wall or one of the 45 -70s ( pedersoli Sharps and a Al Story Sharps Brochart) Don't think Ill need the 45-90 of Ohio deer though.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have been working with BP Cartridges for several years now pretty much exclusively. I am considering purchasing a Henry Original Henry lever action steel framed version in 44-40. Ive e-mailed them and am planning on setting it up with a tang sight and small front globe. With the action length and 24.5" barrel this will give a nice sight radious. I'm looking for any information on the rifle and or 44-40 loads with Black Powder. I'm thinking a 210-220 grn round nosed bullet. This will be used strictly for plinking and paper targets, maybe a little Ohio Deer hunting later on. All information will be appreciated.
    I have your Henry .......Iron frame,24.5 blue barrel , Vernier rear sight, but blade front! I have shot my Henry at the Buffalo Gong Match ! 760 yds and the
    Buffalo will ring !!! and Black Powder !! with a 209gr cast boolit!!! If the 44-40 is a problem ,Rechamber to a 44 special !!! Should be easy to do! The GS
    to do the job is Taylor Machine in Wash.

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 10-15-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    first check with the bunny cops. to see if it is legal. then if it is. lyman had a 215 gr rnfp mold that is like the old marlin bullet. mine is gas checked works great in the .44-40 with b-p.

Wasn't the O.E. Henry lead boolit a 216gr ???? Not sure of the BP charge !
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure what the 44 rimfire bullet weight was ( that's what the 1866 henrys were chambered for. It was a shorter heel seated cartridge.) The 44-40 in the reproduction is for ease of finding ammo and a cartridge loaded to appropriate pressure levels. I'm really interested in this rifle to work with and see how capable and "useable" it is or would have been

Boolit Grand Master

My other issue with using as an Ohio deer gun will be coming up with a magazine plug for the front loading tube. Unlike shotguns and other lever actions the plug cant go inside the spring and still load the rifle. I don't think a plug in the tube would be allowed since it would be easily removeable with out tools.

I checked with Columbus. Ohio has done away with the plug. But you can still only have 3 shots total in gun at any one time.

When I was looking to buy my Henry 45- 70, I asked them if I could get a custom tube that only allows two cartridges. I told them Ohio has to have guns plugged to only accept 3 total. The rep at Henry told me they did away with the plug law. I thought this guy was crazy! Since when has Ohio done anything using the honor system?

I called Columbus, and sure as rain, they told me they stopped requiring plugs in (I think) 2014.
    It was do to the new firearms that are now allowed as being too difficult or impossible to plug. She did let it slip out that they did write many tickets for too many shots in gun.

Just be cautious and make sure you only have 3 in gun. A lot of guys tried to get away with it, and they ended up digging deep into their wallets, and the ODNR put it in theirs!
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.

I should add this to it.....
    You still have to plug shotgun for waterfowl. It is a federal requirement.

Boolit Master
    I think uberti is making them in .44spl. now. I have a 66 uberti in .44-40 it handles well I use it for deer. it shoots about as far as I can safely. a .30-30 will carry too far.