MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post
    This is exactly why I could not answer the poll...using answer 3 is to contradict one's self. By answering the poll, you are stating you prefer a loading gate!
    +1 ^^^ this. I really wish there was another poll option... "No. I like Henry's just the way they are." I saved and finally bought & own that "d@mn Yankee Rifle," the original Henry in .45 Colt. Although newly manufactured (in the USA,) that rifle has the historical significance of a Trapdoor Springfield and M1 Garand, plus it is just down-right beautiful. It is also pure joy to shoot. Ed
    Attachment 210936

Ok, I should have worded the question differentially. But it's too late. With option 3 I meant it as YES, I WOULD BUY A HENRY, BUT PREFER THE STANDARD GATELESS VERSION. I'll take a D- for my grammar.

Boolit Master

Overmax,
    My 8yr old Daughter & 7yr old Son never had a problem shoving 10rds of .38SPL into the mag tube of a MARLIN 1894C. I got a extra stock and cut it down to fit them. I added spacers as they grew bigger.
    I've been shooting WINCHESTER/MARLIN LEVER Guns for almost 60yrs. I started with a single shot SAVAGE. It was actually a dropping block action, like a "Farquharson ??" I think. Went on to tube feed .22's ; REMINGTON & WINCHESTER pumps.
    Bought a MARLIN 39D in High School, still have it.
    I'll never buy a henry, seen too many at COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING Matches go belly up.

I believe REMINGTON will get MARLIN squared away. It was a BIG MOVE. Takes time to adjust and train new folks.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I am waiting for the gate if it happens I will buy one, want a .357.

Boolit Master
    Waiting for the Improved Henry.

Boolit Buddy
    just want a loading gate, whether it can empty through the tube or not, just want a .41 mag with a loading gate

No gate... ZERO interest!
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

WELL Buckshot
    Winchester released a few in 1865 or early 66 an then they released the 1866 Winchester
    WHen Winchester bought the VOLCANIC He ask Henry to see if could make a Cartridge firing rifle out of the Volcanic an he did a 44 rim fire ,they started to manufacture it but Winchester didn't want his name on a failure , it sold like hot cakes ,The 1866 was the first Winchester an had the Kings Improvement .

Boolit Master

I understand preferences but don’t understand all of the “heck no, never” answers over such a small thing. It’s kinda like blonde, brunette, redhead, black hair, dishwater blonde, blue, purple, pink. It all depends on the overall package and if one thing disqualifies them you are probably too picky. But that’s just my opinion.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    When I spend that kind of money I am going to buy something I want, no loading gate is no small thing!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I understand preferences but don’t understand all of the “heck no, never” answers over such a small thing. It’s kinda like blonde, brunette, redhead, black hair, dishwater blonde, blue, purple, pink. It all depends on the overall package and if one thing disqualifies them you are probably too picky. But that’s just my opinion.
    I am not interested in buying a S&W with the lock. I makes a classic gun look funky.

A Henry is not a classic Winchester or Marlin. Therefore, I accept the loading tube as something unique to the Henry product.

Boolit Buddy
    I own 5 Henry's, 2 Marlins, a Winchester, and a Mossberg lever gun.
    The loading gate issue is a quandary to understand.

I've never had a problem with either platform.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    I'd like both. Get to top off easily but also the easy complete reload.

I'd add "and how about a 24" barrel variant?"
    I asked them to make a replacement for the H&R Buffalo classic ...break open, with 28" barrel. They emailed me back and said they have no plans to make longer barrels. I think it is a poor decision. Of the people who buy single shot 45/70s I bet most would like the longer barrels.

Boolit Buddy

My preference is pretty much Marlin all the way.

Boolit Master
    Actually, the problem isn't the loading gate or lack of one. The real issue is the centerfire Henry rifles are simply terrible! Very clunky in the hand. Fail to run even close to fast. Jam up regularly when used in a competitive setting and darn plain ugly!!!

And all of this from the same company that makes the fantastic, smooth, good looking, nice in the hand rimfire rifles and the beautiful 1860! So it is clear they know how to do it right.

The USA would beat a path to the door of a USA made 1866/1873/1892......Most would rather not purchase a Japan or Italy version of these firearms.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

I just read this entire post again.
    If you don't know how to use/work a firearm properly and are not willing to learn safely then you shouldn't have it.
    I learned not to point a gun at anything I was not willing to destroy or kill by the time I was 5yrs old.
    Including my own feet. And other peoples.

WINCHESTER & MARLIN Lever Guns of any Vintage are easy to load/unload safely. And that goes for the SAVAGE 99's too.

If your gun doesn't give you what you want, then get one that does and dump the one you don't like.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    If i am buying a henry reproduction it is for the historical feel and that means no loading gate. If I want a gate I will get a model 73 or 66.

Heck just why not get a model 92 or 94 and even better yet an AR.

Just saw an ad in the Rifleman for a Henry 45/70 with a loading gate and a color case hardened frame. Nice!

EDIT: My mistake, sorry. No loading gate. Must be wishful thinking on my part. Nice looking rifle, though
    Last edited by scattershot; 09-30-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Bad info
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I saw the ad, didn't see a loading gate?

Boolit Buddy
    I got excited and just checked the case hardened rifle henry just advertise and there is no loading gate! big let down.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast