RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

I took my new Henry .327 out to shoot a couple of weeks ago. It shot well. I also took my Model 94 .30-30. After loading the Henry, the loading gate on the Model 94 was difficult to work with because the magazine spring would push the rounds back out of the rifle if I did not insert them completely, so I had to hold my finger in the way as if I was playing a guitar. If I did insert them completely, well, anyone who has loaded a side-gate rifle knows how it can chew up the thumb. Admittedly, my .44 magnum levers by Winchester and Marlin work well enough by leaving the back of the round outside the receiver to hold the loading gate open, but there is still the unloading issue.

Boolit Master

My Henry is way easier to load than my 94. Henry’s are great for the range and hunting.

I have many Rifles with loading gates .
    I like the Henry just the way it is .

There are many Henry's .
    But this one is mine .
    Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Putting a loading gate on the Henry's would require a complete re-figuration of the carrier assembly which now is fixed in place. A total different design for chamber feeding from the magazine.
    Maybe so. BUT...thinking outside the box, why not put the loading gate in the bottom of the receiver and load it like a pump or semi auto shotgun? With the carrier in the up position, with at least some calibers, I think it would work!

And I would fit Henry's definition of being unique.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-15-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    buckshot - Say I own Henry Rifles ... why reinvent the wheel with a product that the complete line is designed around because a few posters on Cast Boolits would like a loading gate design.
    If you believe it can be done and are fervent that a loading gate design would be better ... design a prototype and cost projection to convert "my" whole line of production and send to Mr Imperato. Thanks but no Thanks
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Maybe so. BUT...thinking outside the box, why not put the loading gate in the bottom of the receiver and load it like a pump or semi auto shotgun? With the carrier in the up position, with at least some calibers, I think it would work!

And I would fit Henry's definition of being unique.
    Man, that would just be too cool, then we could have a whole new poll. lol

buckshot - Say I own Henry Rifles ... why reinvent the wheel with a product that the complete line is designed around because a few posters on Cast Boolits would like a loading gate design.
    If you believe it can be done and are fervent that a loading gate design would be better ... design a prototype and cost projection to convert "my" whole line of production and send to Mr Imperato. Thanks but no Thanks
    Couldnt agree more and this poll is ridiculous. I dont see Henry suffering from lack of sales due to the fact they dont have a loading gate. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here are some dot points about Henry Firearms:
    * All made in the US, Bayonne, NJ
    * Started with the Henry Golden Boy 22LR - now chambered for 22 Short, 22 Long and 22LR. It is my understanding talking with Nick Echart, owner of Charter Arms that it was he who came up with the fixed carrier feeding a magazine tube fed round to the carrier and using a lifter arm to position the round on the carrier and the bolt to chamber the round
    * Henry has been profitable with the design of their rifles - now manufacturing dozens of different designs of rifles and shotguns - here, you count them ... https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/
    * Henry has a guarantee that others can't even come close to ... https://www.henryusa.com/the-henry-guarantee/
    And IMO, the best service that can't be beat which I recently experienced ...

Called Henry requesting repairs and modifications to my early model Henry 22LR Golden Boy. Received a prepaid UPS mailer by email within 2 hours of my telephone call.

* Boxed the rifle up and took it to the UPS store on Nov 4th

* Tonight, Nov 9th, the Brown Truck arrived at the house and Jimmy, the driver said, " Another toy John?"

In deed it was - a brand new 22 S/L/LR Golden Boy in 6 days including 2 days in the truck for delivery and return
    I have never received this type of service from any firearms vendor

Background:

* I sent the rifle back related to the outer magazine tube not staying affixed to the action - modification to the bottom of the barrel in the action - new carrier and new lifter. Why?

* I could not magazine feed my black powder reloads: original UMC Match - Lyman 225453 and Old West mold bullets. Now I can primarily because Henry has modified the carrier with a tapered cut to the barrel at the chamber on the newer rifles. Presume it was done to enable magazine chambering of 22 Shorts and Longs and now known to Henry ... will magazine chamber Black Powder reloads from several bullet designs - that I make and shoot in addition to smokeless!

* In addition, the new Henry Golden Boys are tapped to mount their Cantilever Scope Mount which now has a 3-9X power mounted for my 22 caliber target lever action and 22 silhouette matches
    Last edited by John Boy; 11-16-2017 at 01:22 AM.
    Regards
    John

I would like to see henry make a copy of the 1866 the way they do the 1860. Except of course not with a 2k dollar price tag. I'd like it in all the various pistol calibers they can make work in it.

And why not? They just did it with the Long ranger series. They designed and developed the single shot line. They developed the 4.10 lever shotgun. And all within a decade. Don't tell me It can't be done.

If you read the entire thread, you would see I like my Henry 45- 70 just the way it is. I just got tired of hearing so many people say they wouldn't buy a Henry because it didn't have a gate. And not just on Cast Boolits! I believe a Henry with a loading gate would pay off in the end. And you dont have to preach about development costs. I'm not a complete moron. But as I see it, the R and D put into it, would sell more rifles then the Long Ranger series. And far more then the 4.10 EVER will.

And Big Al..... you are being short sighted. I'm not even remotely saying that Henry's sales are lack luster. I'm talking about increasing market share and growing the business even further. I want to see Henry grow and continue to be the standard by which all others are judged. THAT'S why I started this poll. If you still think it his poll is ridiculous, then so be it. You seem to be in the minority.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of feeding the mag tube like a pump shotgun. And the removable tube can retained in the design. Gives a quick way to unload.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-16-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    I think this poll is fine how the heck would you know unless you ask?

I think this poll is pretty darn solid it does show to some extent that people gravitate towards familiarity and many grew up on the loading gate and they like what "they know".

Boolit Grand Master

Or it could be that some of us have tried tube fed levers and don't like them.

Ok Im short sided. I have 8 Henrys but I also own side gate guns. There are gun manufacturers that make side gate loading guns buy theres. The Long Ranger is magazine fed and the shotgun is tube fed. The singleshot is human fed when the action is broke open. Guess I dont see the huge change to develop those models. Maybe Im the only person that wanted to post the fact that the pole was ridiculous. Never said you mentioned that sales were lacking. Just my take from the idea. The idea has run 5 pages with 92 posts. Im not sure even if all 92 posts favored the idea that it would be worth the change for Henry. JMHO your mileage may vary. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Banned
    I shoot both and gates or tubes don't bother me at all for some situations a gate is the way to go like if you are on horseback. Tubes have a place too and are easier to unload especially around youngsters who are learning the right way.

Boolit Mold
    I would certainly buy a Henry if it had a loading gate I actually just posted a question about the tube feed system I am looking at a new 30-30 and the Henry is very atractive and the price is great if it had a loading gate I would have ordered it already but I keep looking at the 1894 and the only thing it has that makes me like it more is the gate.

Cept they don't make a 30-30 in 1894 only in 336 now.. The Marlin 1894 is for pistol rounds.

The more I shoot my Henry's the less I miss the loading gate

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Regardless of the loading gate, I wouldn't buy a Henry. I find all their models to be a bit heavy.
    I don't think I would want my H010 45-70 to weigh any less than the 7 lbs it is.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    That does not come through very clear. Here is what is written: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?
    (3) Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version. Since I like the system my answer is No, not yes?

Would it not be more accurate to offer the option to those who like the current model as: No, I prefer the current tube system.
    This is exactly why I could not answer the poll...using answer 3 is to contradict one's self. By answering the poll, you are stating you prefer a loading gate!
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Grand Master

I had the same thoughts. I do NOT like a loading gate. For competition, I'd guess a loading gate is faster, but for range or hunting, the Henry tube is so nice. Maybe if one had smaller fingers, but even my pinky barely fits in the loading gate of a model 94 .30-30. I couldn't even imagine trying to gate feed a .357.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess if I am going to pay the prices they want for a gun now days I going to get what I want and not just settle for something I really don't like.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast