Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I would buy if it had a gate AND removable tube.

92 34.85%
  • Yes. But I wouldn't want the removable tube.

81 30.68%
  • Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version.

48 18.18%
  • No. I prefer another manufacturer.

43 16.29%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I have the same opinion. I really like my Henry the way it is.
    I am right there with you. Henry has a great product as is without the loading gate. If there was a poll option of "Don't change it" I think you would have very different poll results. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I will take stab at this. At the end of the day folks with loading gates have to cycle the rounds through the action to unload the gun. The potential for an unintended discharge is greater just because the rounds are being run through the chamber. Henry pull the tube empty the gun run the lever once to eject the one round that is chambered.

Valid concern? Maybe I have seen a 30-30 Winchester discharged while unloading fortunately it was pointed at the ground away from the group of hunters. While sound safe practices should be used when loading and unloading the potential is higher with the loading gate firearm.
    That is my take but not what OverMax said..he said the Marlin , Winchesters were safer...

Boolit Master
    Gotcha Henry is safer only because of this reason but then the Henry's do NOT have the cross bolt safety either which brings joy to my heart. But ne could argue the hammer block safety addresses the unloading safety issue.....I like my Henry's the way they are.....

In Remembrance
    Henry needs to leave the loading tube as is, folks need an excuse to buy cheaper foreign made levers. lol

Just KIDDING.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I am right there with you. Henry has a great product as is without the loading gate. If there was a poll option of "Don't change it" I think you would have very different poll results. YMMV
    I think I did....option #3

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    This is the first rifling problem I've heard of involving a Henry.
    Well I wasn't going to bash Henry........but
    I have two Henry rimfire rifles. Both of them had the barrels replaced.
    The 22 magnum Golden Boy was key holing at 50 yards with at least four different types of ammunition. Yes I cleaned the bore before shooting it.
    The 22 long rifle was shredding cleaning patches and felt like the bore was full of metal shavings. There was only a bore full of jagged rough rifling. Didn't fire it, just sent it back.
    From my point of view Henry has a 100% failure rate on new in box firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    Well I wasn't going to bash Henry........but
    I have two Henry rimfire rifles. Both of them had the barrels replaced.
    The 22 magnum Golden Boy was key holing at 50 yards with at least four different types of ammunition. Yes I cleaned the bore before shooting it.
    The 22 long rifle was shredding cleaning patches and felt like the bore was full of metal shavings. There was only a bore full of jagged rough rifling. Didn't fire it, just sent it back.
    From my point of view Henry has a 100% failure rate on new in box firearms.
    This is the time and the place to do it. I intend to write Henry after this thread is about a week old.

Were they recent manufacture? As in last 5 years?

Buckshot
    Both rifles were purchased around eight or ten years ago. I would have to find my paperwork to be more precise. After being re-barreled they both function well and are accurate enough. My Winchester 9422 Legacy however is much more accurate.

I think that was at or before Anthony Imperato took over as CEO. When did he assume command of Henry? Anyone know?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    I think I did....option #3
    That does not come through very clear. Here is what is written: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?
    (3) Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version. Since I like the system my answer is No, not yes?

Would it not be more accurate to offer the option to those who like the current model as: No, I prefer the current tube system.

Boolit Master
    Can you elaborate on the safety features you are referring to?
    Sure no problem. Ramjet-SS is spot on with his comment.
    When considering the three most popular levers made. Pre- button Marlin Winchester and Savage too. When un-loading: They all chamber or cycle their rounds in and out of a live fire battery.
    Given some thought Savage & Henry resolved their hunting lever rifles not so safe un-loadings. Models that use a clip.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Sure no problem. Ramjet-SS is spot on with his comment.
    When considering the three most popular levers made. Pre- button Marlin Winchester and Savage too. When un-loading: They all chamber or cycle their rounds in and out of a live fire battery.
    Given some thought Savage & Henry resolved their hunting lever rifles not so safe un-loadings. Models that use a clip.
    I get that...no offence but that is not what your original post stated...that was what prompted my question.. We are all good. Not throwing stones. At least , that is how I took it..
    Last edited by MyFlatline; 10-20-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: to clarify

Voted #1. We have a Rossi 92 .357 with both. Sure, I like being able to top the rifle off without messing around by the muzzle. My wife prefers loading via the tube as it easier on her fingers. We will only load via the tube on an empty rifle. It is definitely quicker to unload by removing the tube, but safety wise it isn't necessary to completely close the lever on a gate fed rifle to unload. I have a Henry BBS in .44 and like it fine, but having both options would incorporate the best of both worlds, and what is wrong with that?

I personally prefer a loading gate without the removable tube. While I own 22 rifles with the inner magazine tube, i've found one problem with them. If you dont get the tube seated in the notch, they will shoot the tube out and spill ammo all over. I've had that happen with I wasnt paying attention to that critical detail when loading.

All of that said, when I looked at a henry 357 brass frame, it was quite heavy with a muzzle heavy balance compared to the Marlin 1894c. I prefer the marlin for that reason. I've never handled a winchester 92. I dont know how easy the henry is to disassemble, but if its not as easy as the marlin, that would be a deal killer for me if weight wasnt a consideration for me.

With all that said, I aint got either a marlin or a henry of any variety at present. My only center fire rifle is a winchester 94. Not easy to disassemble, but quick to handle and comfy to carry and hold while hunting.

~Bazoo

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I personally prefer a loading gate without the removable tube. While I own 22 rifles with the inner magazine tube, i've found one problem with them. If you dont get the tube seated in the notch, they will shoot the tube out and spill ammo all over. I've had that happen with I wasnt paying attention to that critical detail when loading.

All of that said, when I looked at a henry 357 brass frame, it was quite heavy with a muzzle heavy balance compared to the Marlin 1894c. I prefer the marlin for that reason. I've never handled a winchester 92. I dont know how easy the henry is to disassemble, but if its not as easy as the marlin, that would be a deal killer for me if weight wasnt a consideration for me.

With all that said, I aint got either a marlin or a henry of any variety at present. My only center fire rifle is a winchester 94. Not easy to disassemble, but quick to handle and comfy to carry and hold while hunting.

~Bazoo
    Try picking up the steel frame Henry. It is noticeably lighter.

I had my 45- 70 apart the first day I got her home. Henry has video on disassembling their firearms. I watched the vids before I bought mine. Wanted to know what I was getting into. Watch the vid and compair for yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Beautiful gun but heavy and $$$$. Would like to have one but, not enough $$$$ and no loading gate. Levers to me, should have a loading gate. May be my love of westerns causing this choice! LOL

I emailed Henry on Sat the 28th. Had a response by Mon 30th. I told them about this poll and got permission to post the reply...

"Thank you for your interest in Henry and for reaching out. This has definitely something we have been toying around with since the inception of the company. One major hurdle is to make a unique design that doesn’t look exactly like everyone else’s rifle. No solid plans or releases yet but keep an eye on us in the future!

You forgot one Poll option : My Henry is Perfect and Should Stay Exactly How it is (haha)"

The representative asked to not use his/her name on the forum, and I will respect that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    I've seen three of them on the CAS range. All three of them had problems with the carrier locking up the action. I wasn't there when they were sent back to Henry, but I know that one of them came back and exhibited the same problem when it returned. I don't know what the mechanical problem was specifically, but I've only seen three of them on the range and they did the same thing. In the one case, the ammunition was factory. I know I won't buy one based on what I've seen.
    Shot about 20 sass matches with mind and no problems. Depends on the shooter and I shot over Ten clean. It’s a very good gun, but it does not run like a tricked out 73. Had one of those too cost three times what my Henry cost. Don’t shoot sass anymore sold the 73 but kept the Henry.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like many, I will not buy a CF that loads like a .22. I only have 5 lever action CF's and will not even look at the Henry.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Putting a loading gate on the Henry's would require a complete re-figuration of the carrier assembly which now is fixed in place. A total different design for chamber feeding from the magazine.
    Regards
    John

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast